BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2016 3:29 pm  #1

How would you rate this special?

When included along with rest episodes in series where would you place it (Yes I know it was a seperate special but it wasn't as stand alone as we were lead to believe). Is it among the best episodes? Is it among the worst? or Does it lie somewhere in between?

Personally I loved it. I’m very tempted to call it one of my favorites even though I may need to see it again.  It was certainly the most unique (especially in terms of narrative). I would give it a solid 8 out of 10 at the very least.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (January 4, 2016 3:46 pm)

January 4, 2016 3:37 pm  #2

Re: How would you rate this special?

I am unable to rank it, I need to rewatch it a bit more first and become more familiar with it. It was such a special episode I'm not sure I can rank/compare it with the other episodes.

I did love it, though. I had hyped myself up for almost a year with this episode, and it was a hundred times better than I thought it would be. I don't think it will ever be my favorite episode, but I certainly loved it immensely.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 4, 2016 3:51 pm  #3

It would be somewhere between 8 or 9 out of 10 for me too. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2016 4:00 pm  #4

I don't feel ready to rate it yet... I'm still a bit 'high' on it. But I'd say it's ranking pretty high for me! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 4, 2016 4:07 pm  #5

nakahara wrote:

It would be somewhere between 8 or 9 out of 10 for me too. 

Count me in. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2016 4:30 pm  #6

It's up there in my Top 5 Sherlock episodes, possibly Top 3. I probably could make a ranking list in order and still include it amongst the others. For me, it's not REALLY a standalone seeing as it does push the plot along ever so slightly. It's like not quite Series 3 and not quite Series 4. It's 3 and a half.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 4, 2016 4:32 pm  #7

Here we go. My top ten. Was actually easier than I expected.

1. Reichenbach Fall
2. Study In Pink
3. The Abominable Bride
4. His Last Vow
5. The Great Game
6. Scandal In Belgravia
7. Hounds of Baskerville
8. The Blind Banker
9. Sign Of Three
10. Empty Hearse

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 4, 2016 5:04 pm  #8

I find it difficult to rank them because I like them for different reasons. TAB is definately in the top, though. I just love the intricate plotting, the twist (those lying liars ), foreshadowing, Moriarty, caring Mycroft etc. 

January 5, 2016 3:01 am  #9

Even as Sherlock and The Abominable Bride’s journey into the past isn’t the series’ strongest adventure, the exploration of its title character, tethered to the present by his closest friend, remains ever riveting; as we behold these men’s need for the other, we are by extension shown man’s universal need for the other. Join me as I look closer:https://youtu.be/qCoAcjXKzLM

January 5, 2016 6:47 am  #10

At the moment, my Top 3 looks like this:

1 A Scandal in Belgravia
2 His Last Vow
3 The Abominable Bride

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 5, 2016 6:50 am  #11

Ok I'll take the bait and I'm going to plunge right in:

1. The Abominable Bride
2. His Last Vow
3. The Reichenbach Fall.
4. The Great Game
5. The Sign of Three
6. The Empty Hearse
7. The Hounds of the Baskerville
8. A study in Pink
9. As scandal in Belgravia
10. The Blind Banker

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2016 2:25 pm  #12

I don't know how high I rank it.  Not sure it would be in my top 3, but I think it would be in the top 5 or 6.  I thought it had a lot of great stuff in it, but I don't know how it compares to some of the other episodes I really liked.

Clueing for looks.

January 5, 2016 4:40 pm  #13

At the moment, I'm rating it very high, but I don't know if that's because it's new and is actually the first "Sherlock" that I've seen as it aired. 

January 8, 2016 4:49 pm  #14

I've loved this Special ! Really original, well made , and not deconnected with the other episodes! That's why for me this Special is such a success.

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

Board footera