BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2016 12:33 pm  #21

Re: Was Sherlock sober during John's wedding?

OK. Not entirely convinced you are right but not quite sure you are wrong either . Just

Vhanja wrote:

Sherlock does have a brilliant mind, able to solve several things at once, at a very high speed. That is what he does. 

Sure. Not mutually exclusive with his brilliant mind working differently when sober and when laced.

Vhanja wrote:

We also see a detailed MP in HLV, after he got shot.

Which is enough to immediately send the brain into chemical imbalance and overdrive. And isn't that the evening of the day he tested quite not "clean"? Although I thought that was heroin.

January 8, 2016 12:44 pm  #22

The one thing in TSoT that has always struck me as very OOC, even when considering that Sherlock is under enormous stress, is the face-slapping during the speech. He becomes quite frantic after realising that some is going to be murdered, but this is really extreme. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 8, 2016 12:52 pm  #23

Not sure what you mean by his brain being sent into chemical unbalance. Overdrive, yeah, if a shooting won't then nothing will. 

I personally see a very different Sherlock at the start of HLV and on the plane in TAB than I see in TSoT. I don't think Sherlock is the type of person who will take the drugs the moment his life becomes a bit hard, it would take something a bit more. 

As for the slapping, not really sure if he actually did that or if that was a "mental slap" in the MP? I didn't think it was too OOC, considering these are very special circumstances where he has to deduce a room full of guests at lighting speed while keeping up appereances of holding a speech. 

Last edited by Vhanja (January 8, 2016 12:53 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 8, 2016 2:06 pm  #24

In my opinion Sherlock´s mind palace probably functions like in TSOT, HLV or TAB every day, without drugs. It´s the way he thinks, an inherent part of him which we are sometimes happy to look into. Drugs merely help him to "go deeper" and so he really did not need them during a relatively simple case in TSOT.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 8, 2016 4:38 pm  #25

I would agree.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera