BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 4, 2012 4:20 am  #21

Re: The Beatles

No George love? I'm definitely a George girl, favorite song is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 4, 2012 7:20 am  #22

Actually George was always my favourite Beatle, such a gentle man.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 4, 2014 7:44 pm  #23

I have a Beatles phase at the moment.(like every few years  ) My "Beatles first time" happened when I was 12, after I saw "A hard days night" A real interest started when I was 13, (after my Take That phase was over, because I wasn't in love with Robbie Williams anymore ) I then read a John Lennon biography and liked him the best. I learned a lot about him since then, so my enthusiasm about him has cooled down. but that doesn't change the fact that he has written great songs and I have always tears in my eyes when I think about how he died and how inapprehensible that was. 
Is anyone of you old enough to remember the day he died.? I was about 8 month old back then.

I think Ringo is the coolest and the most laid back, George was great too and wrote cool songs and he was responsible that the Pythons could make "The life of Brian" and I will always love him just for that. Well Paul is Paul, he is basically The Beatle per se and was soooo cute in the 1960s.

What are your favourite songs?

But it's still unbelieveble what they have created, I mean for us it's normal but back then that kind of music and girls that went crazy, the parents must have thought that's the end of mankind. And I had the songs in school, like "Let it be" or later Imagine by John.

Anway, I have the urge to listen to the Beatles a lot at the moment, the funny thing is I started Yoga a couple of weeks ago and when my teacher started with "om" the song "Across the universe" was in my head again, I love it so much. The way John sings it is so effortless, although he didn't seem to breath during singing 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 3, 2016 11:21 pm  #24

Ivy wrote:

George was great too and wrote cool songs and he was responsible that the Pythons could make "The life of Brian" and I will always love him just for that.  

Amen to that!  Yeah, well, I'm a huge fan of the Monty Pythons too (WELEASE WOOOOODGEEERRR!!)

The Beatles have always been part of my life, for as long as I remember, but I really got into them when I was about 10 or 11 (that would be circa 1993 then). I already knew their biggest hits at that time for my father had the "red" and "blue" LPs but there once was a documentary on them on TV and they got me hooked.

I was completely obsessed during many years. Buying all their albums, all their movies, watching all the documentaries/reading all the books I could find, collecting posters, postcards, figures, vinyls, badges and everything about them, going twice to Liverpool, going to the Dakota building while in NYC... etc etc. I was completely devastated when George died...

They're still my fav band, but i'm just a little less "obsessed" than I used to be.

I've never been a huge fan of their solo careers though (not saying i don't like their songs, just prefer the Beatles era). That didn't prevent me from seeing Paul live twice (2004 & 2015) and enjoying it very much.

As for my favourite songs... Well, here are a couple:

For no one, Blackbird, Across the Universe, I'm looking through you, It's only love, I've just seen a face, I'm a loser, Martha my dear, Hey Bulldog, I am the walrus...

Fav solo songs: I live for you / Crackerbox palace (George)
                          Band on the run / C'Moon / Heather (Macca)
                           Oh, Yoko! (John)

Just like old times...

January 4, 2016 12:04 am  #25

I don't know whether I've ever been "obsessed" with the Beatles, but I've always loved their music (as do my parents, who listened to them growing up, as have I in turn).  I don't know all the songs, but there are few that I've listened to that I don't like. 

A couple years ago for my mom's birthday, the three of us went to a show called "Rain," which is basically as close to a Beatles concert as you can get (perhaps better, because you're not in a room full of screaming people).  The guys dress as the Beatles (sound like them too) through the years.  Thought they introduce themselves as Rain, not The Beatles, they go through the career of the Beatles, playing all the best songs, like a retrospective except wearing clothes of the era of each song.  They even open the show with their first performance on the Ed Sullivan Show.  It's fantastic.

My favourite songs are probably Twist and Shout, Help, I Saw Her Standing There, Day Tripper, Eleanor Rigby.  I like A Day in the Life a lot as well, and as soon as I name a bunch I think of other great ones.  Because they're pretty much all great to me.

Last edited by Yitzock (January 4, 2016 12:04 am)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera