BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2016 11:14 pm  #41

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

That was amazing! Congrats to the whole Sherlock team for doing it once again!

This will be so much fun in the re-watches! 

Did anyone else's heart break for Mycroft though? 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 1, 2016 11:14 pm  #42

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

When can we reasonably start posting other threads about this d'you think? When will everyone else have seen it?

Denmark doesn't show it before the 10th... and the DVD is released on the 11th... If that's anything to go by

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 1, 2016 11:14 pm  #43

Vhanja wrote:

There are so many references - to Doyle, to movies, to the series itself... it's a geek's heaven!

Yes, I felt like I was ticking them off all the way through!  There just seemed to be one after the other.    Great fun for us, but really confusing for anybody who isn't familiar with the Sherlock Holmes universe!

January 1, 2016 11:16 pm  #44

Actually a lot of the modern-day scenes aboard the airplanes seemed almost like a fanfic - Mycroft being direct and both showing and telling his concern, Sherlock ODing...

Also, I didn't like John's outburst at the graveyard. Again there seem to be anger and distance between them. John isn't interested in what Sherlock wants if it's not "the job". (On the other hand, I got the imporession he believed it was only Sherlock's drug-induced fantasies).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2016 11:18 pm  #45

also: Blackbread ... not just a childhood pet it seems 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 1, 2016 11:20 pm  #46

Hey folks! I know it's been ages... sorry... but what better day than today to rise from the dead, hehe!

That episode blew me away! I thought at the beginning that it took place in Sherlock's mind palace (I once wrote a fanfiction in another fandom that was structured just like that: one chapter in the past, the following in the present and you couldn't tell until the end which one was real. So I thought it could be something like that, you know, like the butterfly's dream? ""Once upon a time, Zhuang Zhou dreamed he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting about happily enjoying himself. He did not know that he was Zhou. Suddenly he awoke, and was palpably Zhou. He did not know whether he was Zhou, who had dreamed of being a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming that he was Zhou") , that was one of the theories i'd come up with when the special was announced. But the more time passed, the less convinced I was about that. I ended up completely forgetting that theory and when we suddenly found ourselves in that jet again, I practically screamed

It was so exciting!

Now i'm still a bit confused, because even if I understood most of the dialogs, parts of them escaped me as English is not my mother tongue.

I hope there'll soon be English subtitles (or that Arianedevere works really fast lol) so that I can catch up with what I missed...

I'd be really glad if someone could explain to me what Mycroft said about the "List"... I understood it was something him and Sherlock had agreed on quite a long time ago, but what is it exactly? Did Sherlock write a list  to Mycroft of everything that crossed his mind palace whenever he took drugs or something???

(oh, and Mycroft's "I'll always be there for you"... )

Well, I could write endlessly about that last episode, but I'll come back once I have read the transcript so that i'm sure I got everything right.

Just like old times...

January 1, 2016 11:20 pm  #47

a_maze wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

DavidM1337 wrote:

"Moriarty is dead. And I know what he does next."

I need to start a new thread purely about that line.

Please let it be a follow-up thread to this one. Please :D.

I'm afraid Moriarty doesn't do anything.
He set up his "army" before his death, like the bride did 120 years ago. That's what I got out of the whole thing.
Basically the bride represents Moriarty.

But there was the explaination with the 2 guns... I'm confused.

January 1, 2016 11:21 pm  #48

Not sure if it fits here, but the official FB Sherlock page posted this just now:

With a big "thank you" from the Sherlock team.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 1, 2016 11:22 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2016 11:23 pm  #49

Vhanja wrote:

Actually a lot of the modern-day scenes aboard the airplanes seemed almost like a fanfic - Mycroft being direct and both showing and telling his concern, Sherlock ODing...

Also, I didn't like John's outburst at the graveyard. Again there seem to be anger and distance between them. John isn't interested in what Sherlock wants if it's not "the job". (On the other hand, I got the imporession he believed it was only Sherlock's drug-induced fantasies).

But, the graveyard scene was also part of the MP so it was a representation of Sherlock thinking John will leave him for good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 1, 2016 11:23 pm  #50

Punch me in the face wrote:

Hey folks! I know it's been ages... sorry... but what better day than today to rise from the dead, hehe!

I'd be really glad if someone could explain to me what Mycroft said about the "List"... I understood it was something him and Sherlock had agreed on quite a long time ago, but what is it exactly? Did Sherlock write a list  to Mycroft of everything that crossed his mind palace whenever he took drugs or something???

(oh, and Mycroft's "I'll always be there for you"... )

Well, I could write endlessly about that last episode, but I'll come back once I have read the transcript so that i'm sure I got everything right.

Good to have you back! 

And yes, "The List" is also on my list! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 1, 2016 11:23 pm  #51

Punch me in the face wrote:

as I understood it Sherlock has to write Mycroft a list with all the drugs he is taking, I guess so that Mycroft can help him accurately should he overdose

January 1, 2016 11:24 pm  #52

Vhanja wrote:

No, I heard it too. It was as they spotted the glowing "ghost" for the first time. 

And that "private talk" was awesome, for several reasons:

1. Interestingly enough, Watson seens more at ease talking about emotions and more upfront about it than John is.
2. This all happened in Sherlock's Mind Palace - so why would he have that conversation?
3. Why did that conversation make Sherlock so uncomfortable?

I agree wholeheartedly. I did not want to be the first person to breach the ice about the conversation, so:
The tension whilst the conversation was nearly unbearable. If that is not the best canon that johnlock fans will ever get... that, or some serious snogging ensues in S4 ^^.
Either way, there is some deep conversation between the lines going on that I can not make at at the moment.

Lola Red wrote:

also: Blackbread ... not just a childhood pet it seems 

So he did not say "Redbeard" but rather "Blackbread" in that scene... believable and less a stretch to what I heard.
EDIT: He says "Redbeard" in that scene, of that I'm sure.

Last edited by a_maze (January 1, 2016 11:31 pm)

January 1, 2016 11:24 pm  #53

I was a bit confused about the list too. I thought perhaps it was a list of everything Sherlock took when doing drugs. I base that one two things:

1. John looking at the list before saying: "This could kill you!" (Ie  - what's written on this list could kill you)
2. Sherlock tearing the list saying that he "didn't need it anymore as he know had the real thing" (Ie - a proper case instead of drugs).

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2016 11:26 pm  #54

tonnaree wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

But, the graveyard scene was also part of the MP so it was a representation of Sherlock thinking John will leave him for good.

I am still confused about the graveyard. Was that reality or fantasy? If it was readability, it is actually quite tragic: John leaving and Lestrade digging with Sherlock through the night while Mycroft holds the torch. All that while Sherlock fantasizes about John always being there for him, even in his greatest battle. 

January 1, 2016 11:27 pm  #55

Seemed quite clear to me what that list was about. I even imagine that I heard them say it explicitly in some kind of way... looking into it.

January 1, 2016 11:29 pm  #56

Thank you Harriet! I must admit I really missed that whole excitation on the forums! Brings back good memories!

And thanks Lola and Vhanja, your explanation makes much more sense!

Mycroft's been my fav character since the very first episode, and I guess that once I have read the transcript for this one, I'm gonna love him even more cause i'm sure I missed a lot of things. I feel really bad for him now, picking up all the pieces of paper from Sherlock's list...

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 1, 2016 11:31 pm)

Just like old times...

January 1, 2016 11:29 pm  #57

I also thought Mycroft explained it, but without transcript or a re-watch I am not able to give a quote.

January 1, 2016 11:31 pm  #58

Just for the record: 2016-01-01 23:44:17

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 1, 2016 11:32 pm  #59

Harriet wrote:

Just for the record: 2016-01-01 23:44:17

Seems like there are a handful of people who were left equally clueless :D.

January 1, 2016 11:33 pm  #60

I was amazed that they managed to keep Moriarty a secret. I followed Setlock, and I didn't see anyone who managed to spot that Andrew Scott was in the special!

Last edited by Vhanja (January 1, 2016 11:34 pm)

Team Hudders!

Board footera