BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2012 7:17 pm  #21

Re: What Canon story are you reading?

jimella wrote:

I am reading The Valley of Fear

Me, too. What language (ha, ha)?

July 22, 2012 7:27 pm  #22

I am also reading The Valley Of Fear. It is really good. I love the way the atmosphere of the place is created.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 22, 2012 8:24 pm  #23

I've 'been reading' The Valley of Fear for weeks now. Until the last few days I've been too busy to read more than a tiny bit at a time and when I do get the chance I have to go back an reread the previous bit *rolls eyes*. I hate reading like this!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 23, 2012 3:13 am  #24

"The Adventure of the Dying Detective"

July 23, 2012 1:24 pm  #25

I'm reading "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle" right now in the original English version, very nice story so far. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: If I wasn't everything that you think I am, everything that I think I am, would you still want to help me?
Molly: What do you need?
Sherlock: You.

July 23, 2012 3:32 pm  #26

Today I finished reading The Blanched Soldier. It was pretty cool actually. It's one of the ones narrated by Sherlock instead of Watson, and you can definitely tell the difference in style. It's got some nice moments in when Holmes is knocking Watson for being to sentimental in his writing. 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 24, 2012 10:53 pm  #27

Still reading 'The Valley of Fear'. TBH not desperately keen on the backstory  . But I'm not a quitter!!

July 27, 2012 1:19 pm  #28

Just finished "A study in scarlet", my Kindle debut. It's wonderful to see how many elements of the story are woven into the fabric of ASiP. I'm looking forward to the book club discussion. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 30, 2012 5:36 pm  #29

I read "The Sign of Four" and "A Scandal in Bohemia" and "The Adventure of the Red-Headed League". But there's still a lot to rediscover. I loved Scandal, it was great to discover all the nods from "Sherlock".

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 31, 2012 7:17 am  #30

I read the whole canon but my brother is on The Speckled Band now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

August 12, 2012 9:38 pm  #31

I recently started reading the canon again. Even though I read all the novels and short-stories before, I have so much fun re-reading them because I recognise elements they brought into the show. 

It's "The red-headed league" at the moment, one of my favourites from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

August 13, 2012 5:00 pm  #32

After having finished the Adventures during my summer vacation, I'm now reading the Hound.

It keeps amazing me how different Henry is there. And how lonely John is for most of the time...

I have bought the English version with the introduction by Mr. Cumberbatch himself...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: If I wasn't everything that you think I am, everything that I think I am, would you still want to help me?
Molly: What do you need?
Sherlock: You.

August 13, 2012 9:19 pm  #33

Decided to return to The Copper Beeches

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

September 20, 2012 1:36 pm  #34

I'm almost ashamed to say that I haven't read any of the canon prior to watching Sherlock, so I finally downloaded the complete works to my Nook. I'm currently at the beginning--A Study In Scarlet--and enjoying it very much. I need to make more time to read (rather than, say being on the internet or watching TV shows ) but I will finish them eventually.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 20, 2012 2:11 pm  #35

I finished The Valley of Fear yesterday night. OMG it's chilling!! That "Sherlock Holmes stories" moment when you you're surprised "I should've thought of it!"  and then you're surprised again!    I feel like Watson when I read the stories, because I never see what's going on, that's what I like in SH, we can be one character, the doctor's narrative make us feel like we're as involved as he is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

July 9, 2016 11:10 pm  #36

Well done, A Study in Scarlet 's a tough one to start with! I loved it though. I think you chose well for your ACD debut, TSOF is good for reference-spotting in the show too

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 9, 2016 11:25 pm  #37

That's what I did, for the most part, and my reaction too

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 10, 2016 3:46 am  #38

The interesting thing is, in canon, Jefferson Hope is a sympathetic character.  You can actually empathize with why he chose to get revenge the way he did, although you cannot approve of his decision to take the law into his own hands and go for vigilante justice.  On the BBC series, though, Jefferson Hope is a villain through and through; he murders innocent victims.  The producers, writers, and director didn't make the least effort to make him appear sympathetic!

July 21, 2016 8:17 am  #39

That's so true.

I just started The Hound of the Baskervilles. Trying to read it in English. Really interesting.

January 31, 2017 10:15 pm  #40

A Study in Scarlet. After TFP I've decided to read them all back in chronological order to... I don't know... try to entertain myself until we know whether we'll have a S5 or not. 
Oh, and I bought the edition with Moffat's introduction. But in the middle of it he tells you to read the book and come back later. So I'm reading the book.

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

Board footera