BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2014 10:27 am  #21

Re: Sherlock's Pride in John

I think he´s also quite impressed with him in this scene:

November 7, 2014 10:33 am  #22

Okay, then let me give you the link to a few shots from TSoT. Sherlock looking at John while they are standing in front of Sholto's door. 
http://arthurdent.co.vu/post/101211471806/do-you-ever-just-take-a-minute-to-watch

It fits perfectly with what we already mentioned about Sherlock and his pride in and love for John.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 7, 2014 10:34 am  #23

Zatoichi wrote:

Oh yes, absolutely. Some people call it military kink, I think, but it's much more than that. It shows that John has been very good at his past job, and Sherlock repeatedly realizes this in situations like this one. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 7, 2014 11:24 am  #24

SolarSystem wrote:

Zatoichi wrote:

Oh yes, absolutely. Some people call it military kink, I think, but it's much more than that. It shows that John has been very good at his past job, and Sherlock repeatedly realizes this in situations like this one. 

But it can still be kink too.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 7, 2014 12:07 pm  #25

SolarSystem wrote:

Okay, then let me give you the link to a few shots from TSoT. Sherlock looking at John while they are standing in front of Sholto's door. 
http://arthurdent.co.vu/post/101211471806/do-you-ever-just-take-a-minute-to-watch

It fits perfectly with what we already mentioned about Sherlock and his pride in and love for John.

He seems disappointed here more than proud and loving. As if he was thinking: "John is with the people he really loves now - unlike me."
John and Mary were so nasty to him in this scene!

Last edited by nakahara (November 7, 2014 7:59 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 7, 2014 8:30 pm  #26

One scene where Sherlock is proud at John is this - where John easily prevails over Mycroft with his sassy wit:

It´s no suprise he wants to "recruit" him into an adventure again in the very next moment.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 7, 2014 8:50 pm  #27

One of my favourite scenes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 7, 2014 9:14 pm  #28

None shall stand against the Sass.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 7, 2014 9:29 pm  #29

nakahara, yes, that is such a beautiful and funny moment. John makes Sherlock laugh and I'm sure Sherlock admires him for this witty comment... I love it.

November 8, 2014 5:13 am  #30

Oh yes, I love how Sherlock cracks up at that comment.. One of the very rare lighthearted and heartwarming moments bewteen them in S3.. 

November 8, 2014 7:57 am  #31

There's another little scene in ASIB:
when they're having their breakfast and Mycroft pays them a visit. John tells him not to treat the royal family like Irene did, you have that a bit evil smile by Sherlock and John smiles quite open and genuine up to Mycroft's undignified face...
Did I ever mention that I love Martins.....erm, don't mind me.
It's just lovely that all the scenes mentioned here are both very telling about Sherlock's and Johns deep bonding and connection as well as discovering new aspects of the friends personality and it shows just how much Benedict and Martin obviously love working together.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

November 8, 2014 8:12 am  #32

Sherlock doesn't show much, but I love the scene where they are talking about Mycroft offering John money for spying on Sherlock.  John's loyalty is tested so early in their relationship and he shines through - and gets one up on Mycroft at the same time.  I think Sherlock is proud of him even way back then.

November 8, 2014 8:35 am  #33

Although he teases him about not taking the money!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 8, 2014 8:41 am  #34

I know!  And I think the practical side of him almost means it (it would have been a fun way to get at Mycroft), but the secretly sentimental side is delighted that John refused.   Well, it's not even just sentiment - he needs somebody who is unreservedly on his side when he's dealing with such dark and dangerous things, and John shows from the beginning that he can be like that.

November 8, 2014 8:49 am  #35

Oh yes and again listening to/watching commentaries and the extras DVD...they all really push what Sherlock saw in John in the beginning:
The strenghts of his character.

December 15, 2015 4:11 am  #36

josabby wrote:

There seem to be a lot of little moments where Sherlock shows pride and affection when John shows insight into the mystery, military talent or is able to overcome adversity.  In A Study in Pink when Sherlock helps John overcome his dependence on his caine, the smile Sherlock gives him was the first sign of affection.  I've been wondering if Sherlock saw a quality in John during their first meeting, someone he could connect to.  Most people annoy him at some point, but he always wants John around.  Even when he pouts about John's blog in The Great Game, he's surprised that John gets up and leaves.  Molly even mentioned that Sherlock was complaining about John leaving to go visit his sister during Christmas in Scandal in Belgravia.
There is of course, the end of Study in Pink where he is describing the shooter to Lestrade and realizes it was John.  There is the moment in the Great Game when Mycroft is trying to  get Sherlock to take the Bruce Parkington plans case.  When he's (Mycroft) talking to John and replies that Mycroft wouldn't be there if there wasn't something more; Sherlock gives a little affectionate, prideful smile.  Of course there is also the scene in Baskerville when John pulls rank.  Sherlock can't contain his glee.

Of course, John's opinion matters a lot more to him than anyone else's.  He's surprised and pleased when John is impressed with his deductions about the military career and Harry, but he also seems upset when John has a less than favorable opinion.  Like when he's upset that John mentions that he doesn't know that the earth goes around the sun; he seems more put out that John has a less than favorable opinion rather than being upset *at* John.  He tries to justify his ignorance of the solar system and there is the aforementioned surprise on Sherlock's part when John gets up to leave.  And in Reichenbach Fall, he really loses it when he starts to fear that John may fall for Moriarty's game. 

I wish someone could find these videos on YouTube again, because they were taken off before I ever had a chance to see them.  If anyone can find other copies and post them here, I would love it.

Board footera