BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2015 2:26 am  #1

Did John borrow a shirt from Sherlock in THoB?

In "The Hounds of Baskerville," in that final scene that Sherlock and John were in, I have noticed that John is wearing a purple shirt--a shirt that looks uncannily like one of Sherlock's.  John has never worn a purple shirt in any other episode; as far as I know, he doesn't own any.  Do you suppose that Sherlock loaned him one of his own shirts--his purple shirt?  I wonder what brought that on, since John doesn't usually wear any of Sherlock's clothes (and, needless to say, Sherlock never wears any of John's!).

December 1, 2015 4:01 am  #2

Re: Did John borrow a shirt from Sherlock in THoB?

This one?

It's not quite the same as Sherlock's purple shirt (Sherlock's has no pockets)

But I don't remember seeing John wearing it in any other episode either.

Last edited by ukaunz (December 1, 2015 4:04 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 2, 2015 12:21 am  #3

Yes.  That one.  Is that Sherlock's shirt, do you think?  If it is, anyone care to guess as to why Sherlock loaned it to him?

December 2, 2015 12:28 am  #4

Nope, I'm 100% certain they are different shirts, John's has pockets and Sherlock's doesn't (if you are indeed talking about the two shirts pictured above).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 2, 2015 12:38 am  #5

Yes, the pockets give it away.  Also, while the lighting could partly be the cause, the shades of purple also look different to me.  
Funny we don't see John wear it again, but I guess that happens with TV shows.

Clueing for looks.

December 2, 2015 1:09 am  #6

Yeah, I reckon so.  That's the only time we ever see John wear that shirt.

December 2, 2015 1:33 pm  #7

The reason we never see John wearing it again is because Sherlock nicked it and keeps it in his bedroom.  He sleeps with it sometimes because it smells like John.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 2, 2015 1:43 pm  #8

tonnaree wrote:

The reason we never see John wearing it again is because Sherlock nicked it and keeps it in his bedroom.  He sleeps with it sometimes because it smells like John.  

Headcanon created! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 2, 2015 1:51 pm  #9

tonnaree wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 2, 2015 2:19 pm  #10

Vhanja wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Headcanon created! 

Oh, ye who lack faith, I pity you! You couldn´t be more wrong!
Sherlock is a chemist! He nicked John´s shirt, that´s true, but only because he needed it for an important chemical procedure. He extracted the molecules of John´s natural perfume from the shirt and replicated them, creating an actual perfume out of them and placing it safely into the bottle. The shirt was destroyed in the process, but Sherlock obtained about half a litre of liquid perfume which he frequently uses when he has a bad mood.
If a day is dark or the case goes in a bad direction, Sherlock sprays a few drops from the bottle on himself and his mood improves considerably in the next moment!
He had planned the commercial use of the perfume either, but then thought better about it. John´s smell is too precious for him and he refuses to share.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 2, 2015 2:26 pm  #11

I would buy a bottle of that. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 2, 2015 3:16 pm  #12

Lol, I love this fandom!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 2, 2015 3:56 pm  #13

nakahara wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Headcanon created! 

Sherlock is a chemist! He nicked John´s shirt, that´s true, but only because he needed it for an important chemical procedure. He extracted the molecules of John´s natural perfume from the shirt and replicated them, creating an actual perfume out of them and placing it safely into the bottle. The shirt was destroyed in the process, but Sherlock obtained about half a litre of liquid perfume which he frequently uses when he has a bad mood.
If a day is dark or the case goes in a bad direction, Sherlock sprays a few drops from the bottle on himself and his mood improves considerably in the next moment!
He had planned the commercial use of the perfume either, but then thought better about it. John´s smell is too precious for him and he refuses to share.

Too much Patrick Süßkind anyone?

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 2, 2015 8:11 pm  #14

mrshouse wrote:

TBH, my friends extremely badmouthed the movie when it came out, so I never bothered to read the book or see the movie myself....

But maybe it´s a subliminal influence?  

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 3, 2015 7:33 am  #15

nakahara wrote:

mrshouse wrote:

TBH, my friends extremely badmouthed the movie when it came out, so I never bothered to read the book or see the movie myself....

But maybe it´s a subliminal influence?  

You should definetely give the book a go, it's brilliant!
The movie couldn't quite capture the strenght of the story, which is portraying the inner life of Jean Baptiste Grenouille -he does not really communicate with anybody- and the whole and complex world of scents (also and especially the not so appealing ones...) and of course the story of developing the perfect perfume.
That could not be put into pictures IMHO.
But Ben Wishaw in the leading role was a very good choice.

December 3, 2015 7:43 am  #16

I agree with you on all accounts, mrshouse. Brilliant book, but the film is not that bad if you ignore the fact that it cannot capture the world of smells. And of course I have a real soft spot for Ben Whishaw. Wonderful actor. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 3, 2015 7:59 am  #17

Yes, it doesn't really deserve badmouthing, that's for sure. And Alan Rickman is not the worst reason to watch it either.

December 3, 2015 8:51 am  #18

Hmm, I´ll probably try the book then. Words can describe the smells better than the movie can show them.

December 3, 2015 1:39 pm  #19

mrshouse wrote:

Yes, it doesn't really deserve badmouthing, that's for sure. And Alan Rickman is not the worst reason to watch it either.

Lord Alan of the Rickman?  You have my attention now..............................

Anyone know if Purfume is on Netflix?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 3, 2015 8:17 pm  #20

nakahara wrote:

I love the idea! And I'm certain that's what happened!
Possibly people would find it creepy, but I actually find it endearing. Obsessive and creepy, but endearing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera