BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2015 8:43 pm  #81

Re: Graham Norton Show 27.November 2015

See my pal hated it.
But I thought it was genuinely very funny.
I mean to be fair, people should know what they get with Graham!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 29, 2015 8:51 pm  #82

It is the kind of thing Graham Norton does.  Later on he was going on about Daniel Radcliffe's "rear of the year" award, and showing internet pictures of people who supposedly looked like him.  I actually think Graham Norton is very good at this stuff - you don't get the serious insights, but it's light-hearted and fun, and he seems to put guests at their ease and make them come across well.  I often like stars more after I've seen them on Graham Norton.

November 29, 2015 8:55 pm  #83

I certainly liked Johnny after seeing this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 29, 2015 9:05 pm  #84

I agree Liberty, Graham does have a knack for putting his guests at ease and this installment with Ben and Johnny Depp I found very funny indeed.

It is all very silly at times but Ben especially looked like he was having a great time so it's all good.

I think I like reading the more serious material in an indepth article about Ben.  Or something like the interview on the South Banks Show where Ben talked about Hamlet.  It's occasions like those that BC can really get his teeth into serious topics and he is such a articulate, knowledgeable person it is just delightful to let him run with conversations (whether in print or on a lengthy show like SBS).

A good mix of the serious and the sublimely silly is hard to beat and with Ben you can have both!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

November 29, 2015 9:48 pm  #85

These kind of talk shows are never meant to be serious or intelligent. It's just PR - showing their face out there - and be entertaining. They know that when they sign up for shows like Graham. I personally laughed from start to finish, I found it hilarious (and also felt slightly bad/embarrased for Ben's sake. Not embarrased for something he did, but for having to endure that letter).

Also, I personally have no trouble both gushing like a teenage fangirl over his eyes, hair, arms and bum - and at the same time greatly appreciate and respect him for his personality, intelligect and his skills as an actor. 

Last edited by Vhanja (November 29, 2015 9:51 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 30, 2015 6:18 am  #86

I had a quick watch of the show on YouTube this morning but I'll have to watch it again properly (it was a bad copy, but it will be on tv this Friday). What struck me was Benedict's slightly disappointed expression at the end when Graham said "that's all we have time for", as though he would have liked to talk more about Black Mass instead of spending so much time on the otter joke etc. He obviously enjoys talking intelligently about his work. Anyone else think he looked disappointed?

Last edited by ukaunz (November 30, 2015 6:21 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 30, 2015 8:08 am  #87

I watched it yesterday, but saw the photos on tumblr first. And I thought "oh no not the otter stuff again" it doesn't get less boring the more Graham mentions it. And I felt sorry for Ben that he had play "monkey" again. Although especially the pic with the teddy bear was soooo cute.
Does Johnny always speaks so slowly? His appearance was a bit greasy. I hope he gets his act together, would be very sad otherwise. The last film I liked him in was "Public Enemies" he was very sexy.

Yitzock wrote:

I, too, would have liked to see all 4 together.  I've seen clips from the show where they've had 3 people on the couch together, why not four? Oh, well.

This had nothing to do with the amount of people on the couch it's just a timetable thing. The Ben/Johnny interview was recorded about 6 weeks ago and I guess James/Daniel was from Thursday. There wasn't a chance to get them together on the couch, Ben is filming (somewhere) and Johnny is probably had to be back in the US (or whereever he lives these days)

But I have to say, sometimes I prefer less people on the couch, it's always the same, when you're a "Hollywood" actor you get all the time no matter how stupid your film or you in general are. It happened last week when Tom Hanks was on, I like him, he's funny and seems like a nice guy, I'd totally invite him to dinner, but I would have like to know more about the other guests.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 30, 2015 8:43 am  #88

Was I the only one who thought Johnny was great?!

November 30, 2015 9:09 am  #89

He was funny enough but a bit slow finding words. But I haven't seen many interviews with him, so I don't know whether or not that was his usual self.

----------

November 30, 2015 10:07 am  #90

Johnny was awesome,but I'm not sure if he was drunk of that is the way he normally acts.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

November 30, 2015 10:32 am  #91

I'm not sure either.  He did seem a little spaced out: could have been drugs (prescription or otherwise), lack of sleep, jetlag, or anything really.   I think it was more obvious because it was a such a contrast to Benedict's and Graham's more hyper, energetic styles.   I thought he was good though - he has struck me as serious before, but it turns out he does have a dry sense of humour, and I was touched by what he said about his daughter being ill and the hospital visiting (something about the children being strong and courageous, while the parents are dying - it felt like a genuine insight and concern for the parents, whereas I think most celebrities would have just talked about the children).

I do agree about the otters thing - its time has gone.  But the Reddit post really was funny!  I did think they were given a good amount of time to talk about Black Mass (Graham does always seem to give his guests a good chance to promote whatever it is they've come on the show to promote).  Possibly Benedict was disappointed, I didn't notice that.   He has been on Graham Norton before, so knows the format and style (and the inevitable teasing, and funny stuff from the internet) but it was a shorter interview than normal due to it being split. 

Last edited by Liberty (November 30, 2015 10:35 am)

December 1, 2015 12:30 pm  #92

In case someone wants to give the poor teddy a new home and do some good:

https://givergy.com/listing/gosh/benedict-johnnys-bear-necessities

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 5, 2015 4:40 pm  #93

----------

December 5, 2015 4:51 pm  #94

That is wonderful!

Clueing for looks.

December 5, 2015 6:00 pm  #95

Fabulous.

December 5, 2015 7:26 pm  #96

Finally got the chance to watch the show.  Laughed myself silly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 5, 2015 7:33 pm  #97

Lol, awesome cupcake!

Team Hudders!

Board footera