BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 28, 2015 10:55 am  #2501

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

I think it is unforgiveable for us, partly because of our attachment to Sherlock, and partly because we're not given enough "good" Mary to offset it. 

Sherlock seems to forgive as soon as he works out the reason, which is difficult to understand, but maybe does fit with Sherlock's character.

We don't really see John forgiving Mary for the shooting: the scene at Christmas seems to about Mary's lies rather than that.   Maybe John takes his lead from Sherlock.

I suppose Amanda's comment could be a spoiler for S4, but I guess not.  I think it's good that she's acknowledging that it's unforgiveable for the audience (which I think is what she is doing).

November 28, 2015 11:02 am  #2502

Liberty wrote:

I suppose Amanda's comment could be a spoiler for S4, but I guess not.  I think it's good that she's acknowledging that it's unforgiveable for the audience (which I think is what she is doing).

Wouldn't she have said something like that then? I mean, she is rather eloquent and could have chosen such words.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 28, 2015 11:09 am  #2503

She did say it!

November 28, 2015 11:38 am  #2504

In the quote she does not mention the audience but gives the impression of speaking for herself. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 28, 2015 11:39 am  #2505

"She’s a flawed character, because of what she’s done, and she shoots Sherlock and that’s unforgiveable! But underneath all that, I think she’s a good, strong female role and that’s quite important, especially nowadays."

is what she said, not:

"and that’s unforgiveable for the audience/casual viewers/ ..." - whatever you might want to insert so that it's clear she meant it like that.

(cross, Susi)

Last edited by Harriet (November 28, 2015 11:46 am)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 28, 2015 11:41 am  #2506

But you're leaving out the actual question she was asked, and what she said just before the bit you quoted:

Do you think fans have now got beyond that?
I think a majority of them have. There’s still this very hardcore group of them that will not be moved on it, which is fine because you can’t please everybody. I’m sure people hate my acting, which is fair enough, and you’re not going to move them, but there was a sort of shift of people going ‘oh, actually, she’s not here to be divisive and not here to break them up’. I don’t think she ever did.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/amanda-abbington/38021/sherlock-amanda-abbington-on-the-abominable-bride-mary-watson#ixzz3smlQAIMm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 28, 2015 11:49 am  #2507

Thanks for the addition, ukaunz.

(Makes me wonder if Amanda knows a lot about what is going on in the fandom, though 

November 28, 2015 12:31 pm  #2508

Anyhow, after all of that...
Surely it doesn't really matter what WE(or even Amanda) think about Mary and what she did.
For me what is important is how the boys react and relate to her.
And they both clearly forgive her, give her a second chance and move on...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 28, 2015 12:36 pm  #2509

I really wonder what this forum is for if not for discussing readings beneath the surface.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 28, 2015 12:42 pm  #2510

Well obviously any of us can only deal with the information we have...God knows what will happen next series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 28, 2015 12:56 pm  #2511

Indeed. The question is what we make of them. I like to see Mrs Holmes representing part of the fandom. She regards shooting Sherlock as unforgivable. And I am sure she would not serve Mary her tea if she knew.

November 28, 2015 1:07 pm  #2512

Harriet and Susi, in context, it reads to me as if she's talking in general (the audience/fans/people in general - which could include herself) and that if she'd meant a specific person (herself, John, Sherlock) she'd have specified that.  But I accept that you see it the other way round!   It's difficult to be sure, especially without hearing the interview.

November 28, 2015 1:13 pm  #2513

Vhanja wrote:

I think it's possible for a person to do an act that is so horrible that it's unforgiveable, but that doesn't mean the person him/herself is completely and utterly evil and with no good or redeeming features outside of that action. There is more to a person than one horrible act. 

I got the impression that was what Amanda was trying to get across.

Yes, that was my impression, too. And I guess I can live with that, at least much better than with feeling pressured to forgive her act for whatever reasons - scared, did it out of love, makes a sacrifice, Sherlock had it coming.. whatever. The excuses really bothered me. Saying she is a good strong role that did unforgivable things (but gets a second chance nonetheless) might be just a subtle difference, but makes it easier to swallow for me than trying to find excuses for what she´s done.

November 28, 2015 1:15 pm  #2514

Liberty: ... and perhaps even then 

Last edited by Harriet (November 28, 2015 5:10 pm)

November 28, 2015 4:22 pm  #2515

besleybean wrote:

Anyhow, after all of that...
Surely it doesn't really matter what WE(or even Amanda) think about Mary and what she did.
For me what is important is how the boys react and relate to her.
And they both clearly forgive her, give her a second chance and move on...

Just for the record it is possible to say and do one thing while your intentions are completely different.  This has happened many times on the show with TRF episode being the largest example.   

Many of us do not take John and Sherlock's forgiveness at face value and can site clues that make us think there is a lot more going on under the surface.    If nothing else, the fact that they leave the months between the domestic and Christmas totally blank is very specious.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 28, 2015 4:33 pm  #2516

Though we leave them on the tarmac...
Well, we'll know next season...possibly.

November 28, 2015 4:43 pm  #2517

besleybean wrote:

Though we leave them on the tarmac...
Well, we'll know next season...possibly.

And many also view the tarmac as a facade.  

We have much to learn in S4.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 28, 2015 4:46 pm  #2518

Well, I'm sure Mark and Steven will deliver...

November 28, 2015 11:07 pm  #2519

I'm actually wondering how people will react if the end of season 4 has Mary and John still together, still forgiven?

November 28, 2015 11:16 pm  #2520

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I'm actually wondering how people will react if the end of season 4 has Mary and John still together, still forgiven?

Some will be happy, some won't.    A lot will depend on how they get us there.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera