BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2012 11:31 am  #1

Otters Who Look Like Benedict Cumberbatch

I was on Twitter yesterday when all this was kicking off. Pretty hilarious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/19/otters-who-look-like-benedict-cumberbatch_n_1362375.html#s792622

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 20, 2012 2:03 pm  #2

Re: Otters Who Look Like Benedict Cumberbatch

I know, I want to find whoever initially said such a thing, and slap them silly!
I saw that Amanda Abbington has seen it & thinks it's hilarious.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 12:41 am  #3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 21, 2012 2:17 am  #4

Haha, that is pretty funny! Cute otters, and of course Sherlock is just Sherlock.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

March 21, 2012 2:40 am  #5

OMG

POOR BENEDICT!!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 4:00 am  #6

I know! Of all the things to prompt a viral campaign...last thing I read a friend or spokesperson said he hadn't seen them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 21, 2012 5:10 am  #7

I've read the same from a few sources however by now he probably has. Whether he let's anyone know publicly that he has seen them will be another matter though! If he does, it could encourage more, lol.
Anyway, in his defence, I say Martin's resemblance to a hedgehog is more obvious than Ben's to otters. lol

Last edited by kazza474 (March 21, 2012 5:12 am)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 5:18 am  #8

And I put more faith in this one also.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 6:25 am  #9

LOL..
can't stop laughing when I saw your last post.. owl and Gatiss resemblance...

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 21, 2012 6:42 am  #10

Lol, mind if I steal the Gatiss one for my Tumblr?

March 21, 2012 7:09 am  #11

I am desperately trying to find a Moffat likeness; needs to be the same expression of the face, but he isn't like any animal I can think of!!!
(Also trying for Anderson etc, just to take the heat of Benedict)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 10:23 am  #12

hmm.. what about Grizzly Bear (moffat)..

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 21, 2012 10:32 am  #13

I thought that, but can't find any images that match up at all.

We're looking for something with that 'steel wool' on top of the head, lol . (Sorry Steven!)
I even thought of birds, but nothing similar there either.

Anderson, I cannot get the idea of an Aardvark out of my mind, lol.
But no images match there either.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 3:07 pm  #14

I love these, haha! But I don't get it, why some of you guys are upset about it? I don't think there's anything wrong with looking like an otter, or a hedgehog, or an owl for example. ;P They're all quite cute animals! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

March 21, 2012 4:04 pm  #15

Everyone KNOWS Martin is partly made of kittens though! The funny thing about the otters is that Benedict is also in Cabin Pressure and this has a running joke about otters!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 22, 2012 12:57 am  #16

Maybe that's where the idea came from originally?

July 20, 2014 10:56 am  #17

Benny told the interviewer that the first pic in this link >> http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/19/otters-who-look-like-benedict-cumberbatch_n_1362375.html#s792622 << was good.(I can't remember the exact word, may be amazing, great or something like that.) He said the action of putting two hands together under the otter's chin like Sherlock did was perfect.

I can't remember the clip's name but it's the Benny's interview of ST:Into Darkness.

December 24, 2014 10:32 am  #18

thanks a lot.....

November 28, 2015 9:15 pm  #19

For those (like me) who weren't in the fandom when the Otters meme first appeared:
http://redscharlach.tumblr.com/post/9079241529/otter-has-been-successfully-hypnotized
This is the post that started the whole "Otters who look like Benedict Cumberbatch" idea. You can then click the #otters who look like Benedict tag to see the whole history of the meme. I only gave it about three seconds thought when I first heard about it, but now that it has featured on the Graham Norton show three times, I'm intrigued. It's an Internet/pop culture phenomenon. The author, redscharlach, is gobsmacked at how far the meme has gone, and says that she'd love to meet Ben and apologise profusely, because Ben gets asked about in so many interviews! Notice she never said that BC looks like an otter, it's the other way around. Listen to her talk about it on the Three Patch Podcast episode 25, I think it's really interesting.

Last edited by ukaunz (November 28, 2015 9:16 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 28, 2015 9:50 pm  #20

Thank you for posting. I always associated it with "Ottery St Mary" episode from CP and not this post. Now I finally know where it all came from. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera