BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2015 9:12 pm  #81

Re: What's For Dinner?

Very good deduction, Holmes! Fantastic! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 24, 2015 9:15 pm  #82

(I spend too much time here, apparently  ...)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 24, 2015 9:18 pm  #83

Too much time? Not at all! 

By the way, here´s new table for your web-site, "Science of Deduction", Sherlock. Pretty and not confusing at all: 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Milkproducts.svg

It will make a great pair with all those tobacco ashes. 

Last edited by nakahara (October 24, 2015 9:18 pm)

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 24, 2015 9:21 pm  #84

LMAO! 

But hey as a cheese lover, I fully support your research! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 24, 2015 9:24 pm  #85

Excellent! 

And I found Irene's favourite, Donovan's favourite, John's favourite - I better stop now! 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 24, 2015 9:28 pm  #86

Harriet wrote:

I better stop now!

But only in the interest of science, of course. 

October 24, 2015 9:30 pm  #87

Oh, sure! But I should have ḱnown better - it would end like this 

November 4, 2015 8:10 am  #88

I forgot to defrost some meat for dinner, so I was looking in the pantry for ideas and decided to do something with a tin of tuna. Found a recipe for a simple curry here, added a few extra ingredients (green onions and baby spinach). It was delicious! Probably really cheap too. I will definitely make it again.

Last edited by ukaunz (November 4, 2015 8:20 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 4, 2015 8:16 am  #89

Interesting recipe. And I bet the tuna can be replaced by other fish and it won´t harm the recipe. Very nice, thanks for sharing!

November 4, 2015 11:52 am  #90

Sounds yummy! 

I need to start eating more of the darker green vegetables... but I'm so broke and I have a few eating disorders... sometimes there's things I just can't eat, and I never really liked those dark green vegetables. 

I saw my doctor today because I've been so exhausted lately. My iron and vitamin balance is really low... (big surprise when I've lived off toast, garlic bread, pasta and cheap cheese for months). 

Any good ideas for very, very easy dishes with those dark green things? preferably stuff that doesn't involve too many ingredients either...

I never really learned to cook, and my back and hips doesn't make it too easy to work in the kitchen either.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 4, 2015 11:17 pm  #91

Hmm...does broccoli count as a "dark" green vegetable? Honestly, you can cut up pretty much any vegetable and mix it in with your pasta noodles and sauce.  It's quite good, and broccoli is one of the vegetables that can taste good that way, as is spinach.

Last edited by Yitzock (November 4, 2015 11:19 pm)

Clueing for looks.

November 5, 2015 12:40 am  #92

Well, I have a recipe for Turkey Tortellini Soup that doesn't have too many ingredients in it and includes chopped up spinach leaves.

3 cups (750 ml) of frozen or fresh cheese tortellini
1 tbsp. (15 ml) of olive oil
1 cooking onion chopped
1 clove of garlic minced
6 cups (1.5 L) of Chicken (or Turkey) stock - you can use the boxed stuff
1 carrot finely sliced
2 cups (500 ml) of left over turkey (or you can use chicken) diced
2 cups (500 ml) of chopped spinach leaves
S/P to taste

Bring a large pot of water to boil and add tortellini
Then bring it back up to a boil and cook them for about 5 minutes until they float. Drain and set aside

In a soup pot heat the oil over medium heat and cook the onion until softened.  Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes

Add the stock to the pot and bring to a simmer

Add the carrot to the pot and cook until tender.  Then add the tortellini and meat to the pot.

Add the spinach and season.

Now I always have Herbes de Provence, on hand in my kitchen (it is one of my favourite flavour blends) and I add this to the pot too and it makes it taste devine.  This recipe serves 6 - 8 servings and if you don't add all the tortellini to the pot you can freeze the broth and the separate torts and put some of it away for a bit.

It is a fairly easy soup to make (especially if you have left over turkey or chicken), cooks up very quickly, and it has loads of spinach in it.  You can garnish it with some Parmesan Cheese and it really adds to the flavour too.

I made an interesting recipe tonight for the first time that had asparagus in it, but I included broccolini in it too because I had it on hand (it is just as good for you as broccoli but easier to digest).

It isn't as easy to make as the soup but it is very health conscious (my husband is diabetic so I have to be careful and make low Glycemic Index meals if possible).  This actually comes from a special diabetic cookbook...

Pasta Primavera with poached Salmon

6 oz of thin pasta (fettuccine or spagetti or even linguine) and in non Imperial terms that is a big handful
500 grams of skin on salmon
6 or so whole peppercorns (or if you want to fancy it up use 10-15 pink peppercorns)
2 sprigs of fresh dill (or you can you the jarred weed -  4 ml or so)
Grate a whole lemon for the rind
2 tsp. of olive oil (25 ml)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 medium red onion thinly sliced (I used about a 1/2 of leek because red onions don't like me)
6 - 8 large asparagus spears ( I used about 20 very thin ones) halved crosswise
2 cups (500 ml) of snow peas trimmed and halved
1/2 cup of frozen peas (100 ml)
2 tbsp. lemon juice (more if you are including the mushrooms)

2 tsp. of finely chopped dill weed (25 ml)
2 tbsp. of flat leaf parsley chopped (30 ml)

I also added about 3 medium sized mushrooms and about 30 ml of rinsed and drained capers and a small bunch of broccolini trimed and rough chopped

Pasta: cook in a pot of boiling water until tender and drain. Set aside

Fish: in a large sauce pan bring the 5 cups of water to a boil with the fish fillets, dill sprigs, peppercorns, half of the grated lemon rind in it.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes (turn the fillets over in the pan at the 4 minute halfway point)

Remove the fish from the water and put it on a plate to cool. then take the skin off and flake the fish into a bowl.

Veggies: in the poaching pan (once it is cleaned out) heat up the oil over medium heat and cook the onion. garlic, and asparagus (and broccolini if using it) as well as the mushrooms until the green veggies are tender.  Then add the peas, snow peas, lemon juice, capers, pasta, the remaining lemon rind and the fish.
Stir until hot. Remove from heat and add the capers and herbs.

Serves 4

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

November 5, 2015 1:51 am  #93

thread wrote:

What's For Dinner?

Beer.

November 5, 2015 8:47 am  #94

Thank you Val and Yitzock!! I will have a good look at those recipes! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

November 5, 2015 6:46 pm  #95

Pasta and pesto for me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 5, 2015 11:17 pm  #96

Take out fish and chips.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 19, 2015 12:25 am  #97

Still winding my way through Curtis Stone's "What's for Dinner" cookbook. 

Tonight I made Winter Vegetable and Italian Sausage Soup for dinner.  Really delicious and fairly quick.

Makes a lot of soup (at least 8 servings) so you can halve the recipe if you don't need this much.

2 lbs. of Italian pork sausage meat (I didn't have quite 2 lbs. so I added a bit of keilbasa sausage as well)
2 tbsp. of Olive Oil
2 large cooking onions, finely chopped
10 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp. of fennel seeds, lightly crushed with a motar and pestle or under a heavy skillet
4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
4 carrots cut in 1/3 inch pieces
4 parsnips cut in 1/3 inch pieces
Salt/Pepper
8 cups of sodium free or reduced chicken broth
2 cups of water
2 cups of shell pasta
2 15 oz. cans of white kidney (cannellini) beans rinsed and drained
1 small bag (5-6 oz.) baby spinach
Shredded Parmesan cheese to taste

Use a stock or soup pot, heat it up over medium-high heat and add the sausage meat (if you bought actual sausages take off the casings and break up the meat into bite size pieces.  Brown thoroughly and then remove meat with a slotted spoon to a bowl and discard the remaining fat in the pot.

Add Olive Oil.  Add the onions stirring occasionally until they soften (about 4 minutes).  Stir in the garllic, fennel and rosemary - cook for a minute. 

Reduce heat to medium and add carrots and parsnips.  Cook for about 5 minutes. season with s/p

Return the sausage to the pot. Stir in the broth and water.  Raise the heat to high, cover and bring to a boil.

Skim any fat or foam off and then add the pasta.  turn heat down to medium high and simmer for 8 minutes.  Remove and discard the rosemary stems.

Gently stir in the drained beans and simmer for approx. 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and fold in the spinach

Ladle into bowls and top off with grated Parm cheese (I used Parm petals because that is what I had and it worked just fine too)

We also had toasted whole wheat Crostini bread with garlic powder and Parm cheese on it.

It was a mild but rainy day today and the soup just hit the spot!  It only took about 30 minutes to make after about a 10 minute prep time.

I wanted something simple to make after last night.  I tried out his Wine-braised Short Ribs with Celery Root Puree, Carrots and Shallots and it took almost 5 hours to make!!  But Oh Boy!!! was it delicious.

Never had Celery Root (celeriac) before and I have to say I love it!  They are kind of like turnips in texture but taste like celery and are very brilliant white in colour when cooked and mashed. Before they are cooked they are ugly as hell - knobby, almost wartish in appearance and brownish on the outside (which is peeled off before cooking). Not an easy dish to make though when you don't have a proper blender (I only have a small one that is for making sauces etc.).  And the short ribs were sooooo tender and yummy!

Definitely a keeper recipe but I will have to figure out how to do most of it ahead of time before I make this dish again.  I think the Puree could be put in the fridge and then warmed up.  And maybe the ribs could be kept on warm or stored in a cool place and then warmed up before dinner.  Have to have time to think about it.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

November 19, 2015 6:38 am  #98

(An explanatory aside!) I am currently under supervision of a doctor at the local hospital, for weight loss...well I'm there for something else, but the prescription was weight loss! So basically if I eat anything more thn whole meal bread or fruit...I put weight on!
However I will try and call in here after the many 'special meals' there are at this time of year...in case I've sampled anything else of note.
Poor hubby is such a good cook and enjoys making me tasty veggie meals...but I just have to stop eating them, or I just put weight on!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 25, 2015 3:57 pm  #99

I am about to cook lasagna! 

I was lucky to find some really cheap minced beef and one of those good dinner kits! 

Tomorrow for lunch since I'm home and I'll have leftover lasagna for dinner I'm planning on using the last of the milk for one of my favourite Christmassy meals... a traditional rice porridge... it's basically just milk and porridge rice. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

November 29, 2015 4:29 pm  #100

Well, it wasn't dinner but I made Eggs Benedict for the first time today for breakfast. 

It was delicious so I definitely will have them again (and Dan loves runny eggs so he devoured them too).

Tonight I am making Chili Con Carne with a conbination of minced lamb and beef.  It will be based on several recipes but since I don't like too spicy of food I will go a bit easy on the chilies.

I like Chili as a cold weather food and it keeps so well for leftovers.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera