BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2015 8:20 pm  #2481

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Or as Steven would say: "I was told and I didn't listen."

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 8, 2015 8:46 pm  #2482

We did at least pick up on the skip code and CAM refs tho!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 9, 2015 5:09 am  #2483

I would never have picked up on the skip code unless Sherlock hadn't told me.
My observations, however, referred to the subtle kind of story telling, not actual hints.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 9, 2015 6:44 am  #2484

Well I don't think I was smart enough to spot the 'liar', but I very definitely thought it was odd she knew what a skip code was!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 10, 2015 12:57 pm  #2485

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 15, 2015 12:34 pm  #2486

Something I read on tumblr gave me this idea - Mary is a very cleverly written character. Many of the things she does and says can be interpreted in several ways: honest/dishonest, funny/hurtful, etc. This way the writers encourage us to discuss and interpret her. Just some examples of many:

"I'll talk him round." (Does she want to help Sherlock/John or is she insinuating herself into the relationship?)
"He needed a confidante." (Spontaneous remark based on past experience or fraternising with Sherlock and thereby hurting John?)
The much discussed "Neither of us were the first, you know." 
And another interesting one from TSoT:
"What about you?" (on the dance-floor). At first glance one may interpret this as honest care for Sherlock's wellbeing. But it could also be another example of rubbing it in, like the above quote. Mary is clever and knows about human nature. Sherlock looks lost and sad and she full well knows that he and John will not dance together and they cannot dance all three together and yet she speaks these words. IMO It would have been kinder not to say anything at all. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 15, 2015 12:42 pm  #2487

Yep, they like to keep us guessing!
Incidentally, sorry if this has been discussed before...
I was just thinking about it the other day, I mean, not important or anything- just an aside..
Do we think Mary always had a gun stashed somewhere, or did she just acquire one to deal with CAM?
Where is that gun now, I wonder.

November 15, 2015 12:46 pm  #2488

Regarding the fact that she does not just have a gun, but a complete outfit (including special gloves in case it was really her who phoned the ambulance), I would tend to believe that she kept her stuff hidden somewhere. Which means that she either never stopped her former career or that she was expecting to be threatened because of it. 

November 15, 2015 1:11 pm  #2489

Thankfully this is one of the things that is discussed on the dvd commentary...unlike all of the other things they irritatingly don't mention and I had kind of thought this myself...
They seem to paint Mary as someone who had been trying to go straight but events(well, CAM specifically) intervened and she felt she had no option but to lapse to her former ways.
Incidentally I don't accept her explanation of attempting to murder CAM, though it would have saved Sherlock a lot of bother if she had done.
She should have gone to Sherlock first of course, but she was right in knowing that Sherlock would go to John.
Further, I don't know if the team have other tricks up their sleeve, with regards to Mary.

November 15, 2015 1:25 pm  #2490

So she had kept her assassin stuff just for the next charity collection, instead of using it again. I see.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 15, 2015 1:33 pm  #2491

Well I suppose she could have burned it, buried it...,maybe it could still be traced to her.
As I indicated, I dunno if we'll get a reveal of she was a plant...but then fell in love.
Thing is, Sherlock and John seem quite happy with what she's told them so far.
Sherlock went as far as metaphorically handing John over to Mary's care, despite Moriarty's protestations.

November 28, 2015 5:17 am  #2492

So apparently AA called Mary shooting Sherlock "unforgivable" in an interview. No "she was just scared", no "people forget she was shooting Sherlock" and no "he sees her sacrifice" and so on.. I am kind of pleased by this, it's the first time I read someone of the team clearly condemning her action without hastily adding excuses. *thumbs up*

November 28, 2015 5:25 am  #2493

Zatoichi wrote:

So apparently AA called Mary shooting Sherlock "unforgivable" in an interview. No "she was just scared", no "people forget she was shooting Sherlock" and no "he sees her sacrifice" and so on.. I am kind of pleased by this, it's the first time I read someone of the team clearly condemning her action without hastily adding excuses. *thumbs up*

Finally!!!!!!!!!

November 28, 2015 8:24 am  #2494

Well regardless of what Amanda says, it appears that both John and Sherlock have indeed forgiven Mary...
That will be my stance until I have any data proving the opposite.

Last edited by besleybean (November 28, 2015 8:24 am)

November 28, 2015 9:48 am  #2495

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Zatoichi wrote:

Finally!!!!!!!!!

Yessssssssss!

November 28, 2015 10:21 am  #2496

Possibly it depends what we mean by the word 'unforgivable', I'm just not convinced it's the best word to use in this context..
For me, if Sherlock and John had been unable to forgive Mary, they would want nothing more to do with her...whereas the series shows us(so far) this is clearly not the case and in fact quite the opposite. They both literally embrace her.

November 28, 2015 10:26 am  #2497

I think it's possible for a person to do an act that is so horrible that it's unforgiveable, but that doesn't mean the person him/herself is completely and utterly evil and with no good or redeeming features outside of that action. There is more to a person than one horrible act. 

I got the impression that was what Amanda was trying to get across.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 28, 2015 10:47 am  #2498

Here is the full quote of Amanda which IMO sums up Mary's character quite well:

"She’s a flawed character, because of what she’s done, and she shoots Sherlock and that’s unforgiveable! But underneath all that, I think she’s a good, strong female role and that’s quite important, especially nowadays."

I like her using the term "good, strong female role" showing that she is distinguishing between the role and the character as seen in the show. Meaning you can play a good, strong female role without necessarily being likable or cute. 

November 28, 2015 10:50 am  #2499

A "good role" doesn't need to be a "good person", the term rather tells us that it's interesting and perhaps fun to play and watch that character.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 28, 2015 10:52 am  #2500

I agree. 

Board footera