BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2015 11:52 pm  #1

Anxiety!

Im panicking and I'm wondering if there's anyone around the forum to tell me to stop working myself up... Basically, 10 minutes ago I saw my cat had started to play with a moth ball she'd found. It's one of those little balls that are inside a small plastic bag with holes (it's crinkly so she likes it), it wasn't broken or anything so she hasn't eaten it. But she's not supposed to play with them!

I took it from her straight away and chucked the whole box away because I don't want her finding any of them again. However now I'm panicking thinking what could have happened and what if she's been affected?
She seems fine now, sleeping on the carpet, I was going to go to bed but I'm going to stay up a bit longer to make sure she's ok...

I have really bad anxiety and tend to overthink things and panic all the time. I need someone to tell me I'm exaggerating! 😖

September 27, 2015 12:11 am  #2

Re: Anxiety!

Breathe.
Breathe slowly in and out.

I'm sure she's fine.  She didn't eat it did she?  I don't think just holding it or batting it around would harm her.

Find some simple task or something to watch to distract and calm yourself.  Sherlock always helps me!  No joke.  If I need to calm my mind I can watch an episode and it distracts me and takes me out of my own head.

Sorry you are having a hard time.   (((hugs))))

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 27, 2015 10:46 am  #3

I don't really know what mothballs actually are... but I'd say if your cat has not shown any obvious symptoms by now it should be perfectly fine! 

Anxiety is terrible, I hope you're feeling better by now! 
Like tonnaree said, distraction is a great tool to deal with it! 

I deal with anxiety myself and my boyfriend does too... for me I have come up with a breathing technique that helps me; I put a hand on my chest and try to make the hand move with controlled breaths... it both helps me take control over my breath again (the thing about panic attacks is that it screws with your breathing which in turn scares you even more...) and distracts me from what ever caused the anxiety 

For my boyfriend the 'grounding technique' often works and I've a few times had to help him out of an attack. 
This basically has 3 'parts'. First you find something you can see and you note the shape and colour or other obvious features... then you grab something close to you and note the feel, the temperature and weight... then you find something you can either taste or smell; you then notice the smell/taste, the texture etc. if it' something you're eating... 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (September 27, 2015 10:47 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 27, 2015 6:36 pm  #4

Thank you both so much. Sorry Im late replying, I just managed to go on the computer.

My cat is fine. I just had a really bad anxiety attack but managed to calm myself before the actual panic attack started. Thanks so much for your messages and I'm sorry for this post!!

September 27, 2015 8:20 pm  #5

Nothing to be sorry for dear.   Glad you are feeling better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 14, 2015 10:05 am  #6

Sorry, hope this doesn't come across as being too needy or anything.
Not really fishing for solutions...
More just kind of using the space to let out a sigh,
I don't know if I've even mentioned on here before, but our poor daughter really suffers...
and she's going through a bad patch at the moment.
Just hope she can make it through her final year at uni.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 14, 2015 10:11 am  #7

I'm sorry to hear that Besleybean! Does she have anxiety? What is happening? (You don't have to answer if you'd rather not of course!) x

October 14, 2015 10:13 am  #8

I hope the same for your daughter, Besley, stress only makes it worse! 
I'm happy for her though, that she has parents who understands her and her condition. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 14, 2015 11:13 am  #9

Thank you, ladies.
Obviously there is probably rather too much to go into:
But suffice to say this was not meant to be her last year at university,(and we sort of feel a tad guilty about this), but we kind of condoned the university making it so...simply cos we didn't think she could take much more.
The uni has tried, but it still suffers a bit form the grinding wheels of bureaucracy etc...
But we do wonder :what will happen next?
She's nearly 24 and clearly doesn't want to be stuck back home with Dad and Mum...but the real world is hard.
She is under doctors, as it were, but mental ill health is hard...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 14, 2015 11:17 am  #10

I don't know the whole story, and I understand your worry, but as a severe anxiety sufferer I can tell you - don't show your worry to her and don't pressure her to think about the future. University is not the be all and end all, nowaways it's hard to find a job even when you do have a degree, so not finishing doesn't mean she won't find her path.

Right now what she needs to concentrate on is her health - just make sure she knows she can take all the time she needs and that you know she will get better. Make it as easy for her as possible (but DON'T do things for her - encourage her to work on herself)

October 14, 2015 11:20 am  #11

mental health issues is hard! 

about being stuck with mum and dad... is that because she doesn't feel she can handle living in the 'real world'? 
I don't know how sever her issues are, but I know my best friend has really benefitted from being connected to some outpatient housing thing... I suck at explaining myself right now, but basically she started living in a house with other people who had issues with mental health, she had her own flat in the house and was regularly visited... then she moved out to another flat and was still visited, that move really helped her along. 

ugh, I doubt any of this makes sense. Sorry! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 14, 2015 11:34 am  #12

No, once again ladies thank you, that all sounds fine...
At the moment our girl is in a house sharing with 4 other girls. 
This is in the uni town which is about 30-45 mins drive away from us.
We try and see her when we can.
She's not in the best of situations at the moment, because her 2 really good uni friends are actually out of the country on placement, until the New Year.
But they will then move into the house, which will be good.
Having said that, our daughter knows she is very fortunate as she has a whole raft of very supportive friends and they are a lovely bunch who look after each other.
Our daughter is one of these types: on a good day, she could conquer the world, on a bad one, she cannot even get out of bed...the uni are not always very understanding on this last point!
We are fairly reconciled to her not even getting a degree and certainly don't consider it the end of the world...mainly as this happened to me(I had to get my degree, paying for it myself, via night class...years after I failed my original course).
But it seems quite an issue for her: she took it really bad when she had to change her original track. This even though I pointed out I had to do the same thing and really don't feel I've missed out.
Anyway, as usual, decisions will be made for her(out of her hands), which is not the best way...
But hey, she's alive and loved- which I know are blessings in themselves.

October 14, 2015 11:47 am  #13

Again, I'm happy to hear she has people around her who understands and supports her! 

With anxiety you can work yourself up over things that seem tiny to other people, and it's hard to move away from. And change is so damn difficult! It sounds like she might have had uni as her thing that was going to 'make it all okay'... some of 'us' with anxiety find things and make them our life-rafts. 

I think she needs something secure to hold on to... and that's where I'm failing myself. I think that's why I struggle at the moment... I don't have a job, I worry I won't be allowed to keep my flat, my benefits doesn't cover my expenses etc. It can feel like I'm falling into a big dark pit and I can't grab onto anything to help myself up. 

Ugh. sorry. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 14, 2015 11:49 am  #14

Oh no you poor dear...
(sends virtual hugs)
At least we have here to come and let it all out...

October 14, 2015 12:09 pm  #15

Thank you, hopefully something turns around soon. 

And again, my best wishes for your daughter, and you too. It's not easy when someone close to you suffers! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 14, 2015 12:57 pm  #16

You are right there.
All the best xx.

October 14, 2015 10:05 pm  #17

Dear besleybean, I'm sorry it's a tough time, for all of you I guess. I'm on the other side (being a daughter with problems), and all I can say is, supportive parents are the best thing ever to have. To know they are always there for me, no matter how bad I mess up, no matter how bad I'm feeling, that alone has been a blessing. You're wonderful, caring so much! Just something I want to say, hope it doesn't sound strange.
About university... it's an institution which works best for people who don't have problems ever, in my experience. Anything that's slightly out of the normal routine gets quickly exhausting for the student, and makes the uni staff run in circles (or shrug or shout, depending on the question). It's a tough place for anyone with an illness, even with support. I don't know why they make it so hard, but I know it is.
The only important thing is to be well. Nothing is more important. I'm sure she'll find her way!! What helped me a lot was family and friends telling me that they believed in me, when I had doubts. People who are supportive no matter what's happening.
All the good things to you and her!

on a good day, she could conquer the world, on a bad one, she cannot even get out of bed...the uni are not always very understanding on this last point!

I'm the same, and I'm sure the people who don't understand this never experienced it themselves. I've heard such ignorant comments already, I could fill books. I simply stopped caring at some point. Now I just go to a doctor and tell how bad I feel, and he will give me a nice paper which I will put on the desk of any professor who wants to be a know-it-all. If they don't believe my words, they get official paper, because that's what they like best, apparently. I can't be arsed anymore to discuss my mental health with people who don't get it.

@Phantom: don't fall into that dark pit, getting out takes so much longer than jumping in! I'm sure you'll find something to hold on. Anything nice on the horizon? Maybe just a hobby, a group of nice people? Grab anything you can get, and if it's only holding your face into the sunshine... Tough times cannot last forever, and if it's already bad, every change will be for the better! (that's what I keep telling myself, and often enough it's true) keeping my fingers crossed for you and sending you good vibes - and I will try only to send the warm fluffy vibes and keep the cold weather here in Germany

So, yeah, I had a sleepless night because uni starts next week and apparently my mind thinks university is dangerous and the people in it are monsters (I am convinced it's all true, but I try to un-convince me so I can finish my studies )
I find tea very calming. Hot tea, sipping it slowly... and meditation, breathing slowly... and doing sports. Running till I'm exhausted usually helps a lot. And calling friends, or even better, meeting friends.

"It is what it is."

October 15, 2015 6:07 am  #18

Thank you, Whisky and I hope you have  good start back.

Board footera