BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2015 5:07 am  #61

Re: Do you ship Johnlock?

I don't ship anyone. This is the first fandom I've ever gotten involved in and I was surprised that people shipped characters. Now I understand that every fandom does that, usually they ship the leads as far as I'm aware.

Why I don't ship anyone? I don't know, I just don't see the appeal. I don't really like romance stories, maybe that's why. 

October 7, 2015 1:51 pm  #62

I know what you mean.  Generally I don't ship characters, either, because it's not that important to me.  If two characters end up together it's fine, but it's not something I need to have happen.  I've never been one who needs to see two characters kiss.  But I'm not the biggest fan of romance, either, though I have been moved by those parts of stories before.

I remember in past fandoms I've been in that I could never understand where a lot of ships come from.  While there are some in every fandom that I don't get, I stopped really caring because everyone does their own thing and it doesn't hurt me.  Everyone gets to enjoy a story however they want to.

Last edited by Yitzock (October 7, 2015 1:52 pm)

Clueing for looks.

October 7, 2015 3:35 pm  #63

Oh I see that people have a lot of fun with their ships. It's just that for me personally it doesn't add much to the fandom experience. I've read some really good johnlock and mystrade fics, but generally I prefer non shippy ones. 

October 7, 2015 6:26 pm  #64

I agree with you, but I'm not about to bash shippers just because it's not my thing.  I, too, have read good fics with those pairings, but I don't need it to happen or ship it.

Clueing for looks.

October 7, 2015 7:09 pm  #65

I've always enjoyed various romatic pairings in the shows I've watched over the years but didn't really start shipping until the X-Files and Mulder/Scully.  And I even started that show with the "let them just be friends" attitude.  But the longer I watched the more I wanted them to be together with a capital T.

After X-Files ended nothing else had captured my imagination like that until Sherlock and I didn't start watching it with any idea that such a thing as Johnlock exsisted.  I accept that some people see it differently but it was absolutely the show that made me a shipper.  Never have I shipped anything so hard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 13, 2015 4:15 pm  #66

No, and my vote increased the no-choice to 34% :-).

Shipping special characters has something to do with identification with certain characters, I think. And a lot with your head canon. As for me, I can identify with Molly a lot and I like her in the show although she doesn't have much screen time. And in my head I imagine her and Sherlock sharing a special connection which can maybe lead to romantic feelings.
But it is no kind of must have for the show.

Last edited by kornmuhme (October 13, 2015 4:19 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

January 3, 2016 8:05 pm  #67

May I revive this poll with a yes?

I was a little thrown by all the sexuality discussions in the first ep (the gods of subtlety must have wept, I thought), but then I got the joke and was enjoying it immensely up until season 3.

And then I finally understood the attraction of slash! Didn't get what the hype was about in my other fandoms like Star Trek or Harry Potter, but Johnlock is so... self-explaining This extra layer of tension is great for the character development and provides awesome angst.

I'm a sucker for UST, however, so I'm not sure whether I want to see something definite on screen. Love all the banter and drama, tho

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 3, 2016 8:40 pm  #68

I mostly "ship" platonic Holmescest. What I mean by "platonic Holmescest" is that if they hadn't been brothers, I would have definitely shipped them as a couple. As they are brothers, I obviously don't imagine as a proper couple, I'm just obsessed with their relationship and I do believe in different kinds of love and there is definitely love between those two, not romantic love but strong love nevertheless.

I love everything between them: the bickering, i love how Mycroft is over-protective and worries about Sherlock "constantly" (I think he needs Sherlock much more than Sherlock needs him), i love the tension between them, the "competition", i love the admiration they secretly have for each other....... etc etc. Their relationship is one of the things I love the best in the show. Therefore I love all their scenes in the show, i love the glimpses we have of their past and love to make theories about their past, i love talking about them, i love reading fanfictions about them (though it's hard to find ones focused on their relationship which are not purely Holmescest, so I sometimes read Holmescest if it's well written and not PWP) and writing fanfics about them (not Holmescest, just Mycroft centric fanfics).

As for Johnlock, I ship it as well, but just not as much as "platonic Holmescest". I wrote fanfics about them too. I love how Mofftiss play with that. I'm not sure I'd like to see it happening on screen though (i was already very happy that Sherlock admits his feelings out loud in TSoT). Well, I'm torn about that because a part of me would love to see them as a proper couple but another part of me would prefer that Sherlock stays asexual.

ewige wrote:

And then I finally understood the attraction of slash!

Aww... Slash is my guilty pleasure... I guess it all started with Starsky and Hutch when I was a kid: I had no idea yet of what sex was, but I just hated it when they had girlfriends because I thought they were perfect for each other and I loved how they cared for each other, I had no doubt that it was love.

Growing old, I became quite obsessed with slash to the point i see it in every book/show/movie and if I can't see any of it, I find it boring, i really don't like heterosexual couples in fiction (I know, it must sound really weird, but that's true... I'm straight myself, i'm a widow but I was married during nearly 10 years before that)

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 3, 2016 9:13 pm)

Just like old times...

January 3, 2016 8:43 pm  #69

The latter suits me fine!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2016 8:49 pm  #70

besleybean wrote:

The latter suits me fine!

Sorry, I edited my post before I saw yours. I take it you were talking about Sherlock staying asexual?

Just like old times...

January 3, 2016 8:54 pm  #71

Yep oh and I'll go read your edited post!
Well if you're strange, so am I...
I can't stand hetero romances or love stories.
I'm ony interested in 2 guys.
But I don't see Sherlock and John that way at all.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2016 8:56 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2016 9:26 pm  #72

Well, like Morrissey would sing "And if I seem a little strange, that's because I am... "

I think I understand your point.

I guess that if I hadn't known anything about canon Sherlock before watching the show, I would have definitely loved to see John and Sherlock as a couple on screen because their love for each other is so strong and with all the Johnlock hints in the show, it would only seem logical these two end up together. But the thing is I knew canon Sherlock prior to the show and showing him capable of sentiment is one thing, but getting him involved in a romantic relationship is another. Like I said, a part of me would love Johnlock to be real (well, it is, somehow, just without sex haha) but it just wouldn't feel right anymore because a "sexual" Sherlock wouldn't be Sherlock anymore... Well, it's difficult to explain...

But if Mofftiss ever choose to get him involved in a romantic relationship (other than for a case, that is), then I think John would be the only right person for him.

Just like old times...

January 3, 2016 9:28 pm  #73

I agree, but I don't think it will happen.

January 4, 2016 7:49 am  #74

Too many good shows jumped the shark when their main characters *eloped*, so I'm not confident that would be a good idea here. I enjoy aloof Sherlock too much, it makes the struggle with his feelings even more dramatic. On the other hand, Moftiss surprised me more than once already so maybe they'll find a way for Sherlock and John to have the cake and eat it.

-----

January 4, 2016 10:20 am  #75

They seem pretty adamant not.

January 4, 2016 11:10 am  #76

That's why it's called "surprise". ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 4, 2016 11:15 am  #77

Some surprise!

January 4, 2016 11:24 am  #78

Punch me in the face wrote:

But the thing is I knew canon Sherlock prior to the show and showing him capable of sentiment is one thing, but getting him involved in a romantic relationship is another. Like I said, a part of me would love Johnlock to be real (well, it is, somehow, just without sex haha) but it just wouldn't feel right anymore because a "sexual" Sherlock wouldn't be Sherlock anymore... Well, it's difficult to explain...

Yes!  I think that even in the show (not just the ACD stories), it's a feature of Sherlock's character that he suppresses any romantic/sexual yearnings.   It's one of the things that makes him uniquely Sherlock.  I think the show has actually stuck quite closely to that, even in the "relationships" with Irene and Janine - he's very guarded, never lets himself go down that route.   Personally, I don't want to see him go there with anyone.  And if they did go there (with John, or anybody, I suppose), there's no going back - we'd have lost "our" Sherlock.   

January 4, 2016 3:41 pm  #79

Liberty wrote:

... It's one of the things that makes him uniquely Sherlock.  I think the show has actually stuck quite closely to that, even in the "relationships" with Irene and Janine - he's very guarded, never lets himself go down that route.   Personally, I don't want to see him go there with anyone.  And if they did go there (with John, or anybody, I suppose), there's no going back - we'd have lost "our" Sherlock.   

Yeah, that's the proverbial cake for me. Sherlock is so guarded, it's a delight to see his resolve take a hit from time to time. An acknowledged relationship would ruin the fun but I don't see Moftiss being too cowardly and not addressing this subplot at all in the end (whenever the end may come).

-----

January 4, 2016 3:45 pm  #80

I just don't think they are interested in going down that route.
It's like every TV series has to end in the leads getting together.
It didn't happen in canon, either.

Board footera