BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2015 1:02 am  #1

Sherlock/Johnlock/The Princess Bride

I really like the way this is put together

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 13, 2015 8:42 am  #2

Re: Sherlock/Johnlock/The Princess Bride

I just read the book and the parallels are really amazing. Thanks for posting. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 13, 2015 8:55 am  #3

I missed this then - great work. And the editor was/is a member here, too.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 11, 2015 8:37 am  #4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 11, 2015 2:08 pm  #5

How can I have missed this?
Thank you for posting!!

*rushes to the nearest library to read the book*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 11, 2015 2:31 pm  #6

ukaunz wrote:

I really like the way this is put together

*gross sobbing*    It's so beautiful!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 30, 2016 6:10 am  #7

I just found this interview
http://collider.com/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-steven-moffat-talk-favorite-episodes-doctors/

Steven is asked which movie he quotes the most:

MOFFAT:  The Princess Bride. “My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” It doesn’t come up as appropriate that often. I love that film. It’s my favorite film.

Last edited by ukaunz (January 30, 2016 6:10 am)

January 30, 2016 12:44 pm  #8

I just rewatched and had such a great giggle. Loved the "Boo, boo!" part at John and Mary's wedding.  And then, "Grandpa, you're messing up the story!"  Priceless.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 4, 2016 10:04 pm  #9

I just read this awesome little summary of the Sherlock/PB parallel. Thanks again to ewige for the LSiT meta archive link, where I stumbled across this!

When put like this, it's so far beyond mere coincidence-- but that's only if the summary it gives for PB is truthful and honest. I have only seen the movie once, many years ago, and don't remember it at all, so I can't tell. I'm making a point to watch it soon, though, because if it's as honest as claims to be... then, wow! Why isn't everyone calling this the "smoking gun"? It's basically beat-for-beat the exact same plot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-R0-ikRKha4UkVFbjItMXZzbkE/view
(Edit: corrected document link)

Last edited by GimmeCat (June 4, 2016 10:07 pm)

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

June 5, 2016 8:04 am  #10

I think the summary is OK, but obviously tailored to fit into Sherlock.  The major, major difference that I see is that Buttercup and Westley are established as being in love, and yes, kiss, right near the beginning, and the whole thing progresses with that as the background, with that relationship between them established.   Just that one thing makes it a very different plot.

Of course, there are other differences too - John chooses to marry Mary.  There's no indication that he wants to kill himself on his wedding night, etc.  I think Sherlock's "fall" and return from the dead is probably a reference to the ACD stories.  In TPB,

Westley pretends to be the person who supposedly murdered him

.  The poison could well be a Princess Bride reference, but I think the Princess Bride itself is having fun with an established trope there.  (And actually the two scenes are very different - TPB has classic goblet switching, and the whole poison thing is talked about and explained, amusingly - there is none of that in Sherlock.  Also

Westley

is the poisoner!).

So no smoking gun, I don't think .  And of course, The Princess Bride seems to be one of everybody's favourite films!

Last edited by Liberty (June 5, 2016 8:14 am)

June 5, 2016 8:06 am  #11

Never seen it and I can't say I fancy it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 5, 2016 8:22 am  #12

Sorry, I've now added some spoiler tags.  It's one of those films you assume everybody has seen, but of course they haven't!   It's a very fun film, and there are a lot of tropes and affectionate parody. 

And just to add to the point about the grandfather telling an adventure story because the boy doesn't want the kissing stuff - actually, the kissing/romance/love are there all the way through.   They weren't taken out to make it to acceptable to the boy, but he gets caught up with the story anyway.    In other words, the grandfather doesn't censor the romance to engage the boy, but draws him in with a good story and gets him on board with romance.  And of course, there's no need in Sherlock to censor it. 

Last edited by Liberty (June 5, 2016 8:36 am)

June 5, 2016 10:12 am  #13

Thank you for the clarifications, Liberty. Ah well. At least this is a good reminder that we should always consider all angles and interpretations, rather than latch onto any one particular idea, allowing the answer to control the question. I do try to read these things with a grain of salt, but sometimes people have a tendancy to tailor their words so carefully, that it all seems to make perfect sense.

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

June 5, 2016 2:05 pm  #14

What a wonderful last comment...
A lesson for life, I should say.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 12, 2016 7:38 pm  #15

June 12, 2016 11:32 pm  #16

I love the video, awesome style and the lyrics fit Sherlock perfectly.
However I think you might have posted it in the wrong thread, this is for Princess Bride comparisons and crossovers. Try this one
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=127

Board footera