BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 13, 2015 6:07 am  #881

Re: Doctor Who

Does the Doctor actually change time?  He gives that speech to the Fisher King about doing so, and he appears to be breaking the rules to save Clara, but it turns out to be just a ruse to get the Fisher King out of the building so that he can get in the time pod.   He doesn't actually change the timeline either by saving O'Donnell (or the others) or by erasing the message (although I wondered why he didn't just erase the message from minds earlier in the future if he could do that?  I suppose he still had to carry out his plan to make the place safe for everybody else - or maybe he just hadn't thought it out yet).  I've wondered if he changed it by creating the paradox, but I don't think so. 

Anyway, I did like the fact that, although the Doctor has his soft side, both of his speeches showing how noble or compassionate he is have just been ruses to to trick villains.    He has to be a good man underneath, I think, but I actually like the grumpier, pricklier Doctor.

October 14, 2015 5:56 am  #882

Great comments, even thumbs up to all the same things Liberty listed that were cool about it (loved the parts with Cass, and the pod!), but… waait… they tinkered with the theme again??  I wasn't even paying attention!  Went and listened again - very neat, to go with the guitar riff.
But yeah, strange and fascinating ep.  Agree with you guys with wondering about the 'tightness' of the writing/paradox (or just accepting it as a tricky time-travel thing), especially relating to how/when the Doctor knew what to do, connected to the ghosts/hologram.

I'm not sure about a hologram's abilities still, but the use of O'Donnell's ghost does seem a little strange.  The Doctor has reminded us before about seeing time as linear - remember it's more circular.  So Doctor and Clara first come in on a timeline where the one past has happened and only the one ghost was there because O'Donnell wasn't actually dead.  So when he goes back, they go back on a new version of that timeline overlapping the old one (I picture timelines as having hundreds of possibilities, and we physically follow just one, although it could be changed) (which also ties in just a little to Doctor being firm about crossing own timelines, and 'fixed points').  So they go back, and his future actions have caused the hologram to appear already during the 'when' that Clara is, giving his past self clues to follow the path to that future.  And the thing is, he knows, due to the paradox of changing anything that would erase the future he came from (and that the others are still in), that he has to follow the clues left to save them in a way that still leads to the same events happening (like the dam), while somehow saving himself to pass the time until he "catches up" with the moment he rejoins them.  So O'Donnell has to die, but died in the new version of that timeline, so therefore didn't show up to them in the 'first' version of it, but instead at the 'moment' it happened (but I still don't see why her ghost from the past didn't stay there to haunt them when they first arrived, unless paradox with alive O'Donnell already being there).  Like what you guys said.  And yeahh… I'm kind of reaching a little too and not sure I completely buy it, but it sorta fits.  And we're back to the bootstrap paradox 'which came first' thing all over and head hurts. 

But yeah, the fact that even the Doctor brings attention to it, knowing they were in a bit of a 'loop'… surely not an intentional writer plot hole.  I don't know… fun hashing out, but kind of just 'okay then!' with over-thinking it anymore, and appreciating them throwing a fun 'time story' at us again.  Next time - yay, Maisie and Vikings!   ;D

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 14, 2015 6:52 am  #883

The trouble with the future (Episode One) starting off on a different timeline, for me, is that all that time, the Doctor is lying there in the pod!  Which means he has already gone back in time and been successful, which means he must have got the message from his future self to know what to do.   (And that's why the Tardis is uncomfortable right from the beginning - she knows there are two Doctors in the present).  

But what you're saying does make more sense in terms of O'Donnell's ghost. 

I suppose what makes this a little different from the Beethoven story is that the Doctor in the past is communicating directly with the future, so rather than taking information back, he gets it "at the time".   But maybe that makes no difference.  I suppose the real reason for that is the "ghost" wouldn't have worked if he'd been there alive. 

Anyway, going round in circles again!   I think they got away with it by explaining that's a paradox right at the beginning (but would still have liked more explanation of O'Donnell's ghost!).   The next episode looks like a fun one!

October 14, 2015 6:05 pm  #884

No, I agree!   (plus the Doctor being there all along, and O'Donnell's ghost not does conflict a bit).

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

October 14, 2015 6:10 pm  #885

I missed last Saturday's episode(because I was seeing Mark in theatre!).
Do I need to catch up?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 14, 2015 6:23 pm  #886

besleybean wrote:

I missed last Saturday's episode(because I was seeing Mark in theatre!).
Do I need to catch up?

Oo… you lucky!   Well, I suppose if you're short on time, it might not matter for the next episode (which is a new two-parter), but definitely yes if you want to know how the episode before last wrapped up!

October 14, 2015 6:31 pm  #887

Ah of course I forgot it was the resolution episode!
Oh well I may just wait for the new 2 parter, then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 15, 2015 5:01 am  #888

True, but it's still really good!   Especially if you like interesting twists on stories with time-travel.

October 15, 2015 6:10 am  #889

You have to know what happened after the end of Under the Lake, and whether the Doctor died or not!    Seriously, I really enjoyed Before the Flood, so I think it's well worth watching.   Possibly one of my favourite episodes.   I would recommend catching up before Saturday just for that reason, but obviously that's a very personal opinion!  (I don't think everybody was quite as enthused as I was about the episode).

Saturday is a Jamie Mathieson episode (writing with Steven Moffat).  I thought his episodes were a couple of the best of last series, so I have high expectations. 

Last edited by Liberty (October 15, 2015 6:46 am)

October 15, 2015 6:16 am  #890

I love Steven's writing ,too...
I kind of took it as a given that the Doctor survived!  Tee Hee, 

October 15, 2015 2:55 pm  #891

besleybean wrote:

I love Steven's writing ,too...
I kind of took it as a given that the Doctor survived!  Tee Hee, 

Yes…..  but how??    *mysterious look*   And very interesting timey-wimey stuff again!   

October 15, 2015 2:56 pm  #892

You intrigue me!

October 19, 2015 5:58 am  #893

Has anyone else seen The Girl Who Died, yet? I thought it was another great episode, really good fun!

Loved the Mire and the false Odin, and that they didn't turn out to be quite as ferocious as all that!   I don't think I've laughed so much in a Doctor Who episode as when Odin's face appeared in the clouds!   

Some poignant thoughts from the Doctor on being immortal (or living for a very long time).  Understanding baby was touching too.

I do wonder about the other repair kit that he gave to Ashildr: hasn't he just left her with a huge responsibility, to choose who to make immortal?  Maybe the Doctor didn't want to have the responsibility himself?  But what if he needs it later?    I like the tie-in to the old Donna story, but I wasn't sure about the Doctor saving Ashildr after so many others had died - maybe because he'd seen her with her father (echoing the Doctor and Clara?) and made an emotional decision in the moment, and because he'd had a premonition about her. 

October 19, 2015 6:05 am  #894

Ok well this household ended up having a double dose!
This becuse my husband suddenly remembered we hadn't seen the resoultion of the last story...so we watched that on catch up first!
Yes I'm really enjoying Doctor Who this time.

Do we need spoilers?   
  Well scroll down only if you don't want to be spoiled at all.

I love vikings: though watching them with a (military) historian spoils it a tad!
Can we at some point get past showing vikings with horned helmets? This was debunked years ago.
I also heard hubby mutter something about: pre-Christian era swords!

October 20, 2015 7:47 pm  #895

Great episode!  And Maisie Williams!  Although Peter is still rocking it.
Spoilers (?) below.

Enjoyed the idea, and another 'historical' ep for once, and all the throwbacks to give us fans a smile ('where did I get this face?' ha, yes, they worked that in somehow! and 'reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!') and the idea of the Mire were pretty interesting. Aww... and the 'speaking baby' coming up again from the Eleventh Doctor. 

Not sure how I feel about the Doctor's choice though, as fascinating as it was to get some very thoughtfully deep insights on making ripples/rules (so true), and immortality that you know he deals with.  But.... but... how could he know Ashildir was a good choice for it?  Like Liberty said, because of how he related to seeing her with her father, and the premonition thing?  How could he bless-yet-curse someone with that?  And then to give her a second one?? (yes, I know, only fair to have someone to share with, as he would very well know, but huge responsibility too!) and to apparently have those things all this time but never want to use them, or think would need them for something else (but again, if he had to pick someone, and in the moment of high emotion with always 'losing' people, thought she deserved it).  So... there's that.  Just my reactions.  Will be interesting to see how 'The Girl Who Died' goes into 'The Woman Who Lived', and whether in the future they'll still run into her once in a while. 

Ha, and besley, totally gave a chuckle with your Viking helmet comment. So much sarcastically smirking 'yes'.

October 20, 2015 8:35 pm  #896

I just wanted to clear up something for you Russell

He didn't have those repair things the whole time. They were battlefield medical kits from the Mire helmets, that he'd reprogrammed for human beings.

Last edited by ukaunz (October 20, 2015 8:35 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 20, 2015 9:16 pm  #897

Oh… oh, right.  Of course.     (so that means the Mire is immortal?  Makes sense, with being specifically infamous in the galaxy for their reputation and not losing a fight, I just don't specifically remember it said)
Any other thoughts back?

(This is all just reminding me a tiny bit of Ten being so emotional/angry at so often 'losing', too… especially the people who really made a mark, like happened with a character in The Waters of Mars whom he tried to twist the rules for when he shouldn't have, and the character knew it and didn't agree, because what happened to her led to a specific future that wouldn't have happened otherwise.  So… yeah…  ripples.)

Last edited by Russell (October 20, 2015 9:21 pm)

October 21, 2015 4:04 am  #898

Hmm, I don't know if the Mire were necessarily immortal or if it was something that the Doctor did to the medical kit that made it possible.

I haven't seen The Waters of Mars yet, or much of NuWho at all really, to comment yet sorry

Here's an interesting theory about Ashildr I just found...

Last edited by ukaunz (October 21, 2015 4:05 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 21, 2015 5:33 am  #899

I like that theory.
I would like to see more of that character.

October 21, 2015 6:38 am  #900

Well, she was the one who waged war on Odin, so the name makes sense. 

I actually liked the horned helmets, and thought it was done in humour.   (As it's common knowledge that they didn't have horns).  But maybe I misunderstood.  I didn't notice that the swords were wrong, though!

I'd forgotten about the Doctor speaking baby before, even though my son remembered and we'd watched the same episodes together! 

Board footera