BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2015 9:06 pm  #2361

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

So far, we have made Sherlock's mind palace an unreliable source, Medical research by experts is now suspect, and now Moffatt's writing ( when it comes to research) is slapdash and unreliable. All of this to vindicate Mary. Just sayin'. 

The problem with this approach is that now-- we can't believe anything the show has to tell us, we can't even believe our own eyes. If facts are mutable and can be re-shaped to suit one's feelings, what use is fact? It's fact that Mary shot Sherlock. It's fact that he flatlined, and nearly died. It's fact that he was in the hospital for a long, long time due to his injury. It's fact that Mary lied about her past, and shot Sherlock to cover it up. And also that after that, she threatened him, and then stalked him to threaten him again. 

But, maybe I only imagined those things... maybe it never happened... it was dream sequence!! 

Errrrr......

It's not that his mind palace is "unreliable", but that it's based on what he knows, observations, memories, relationships, etc.  He's not supposed to be psychic, just very good at deduction.  But he can't use his mind palace to make deductions based on knowledge that he only has after he comes round from being shot.  

Again, the medical opinons are not suspect, but they are based on a fictional account.   We're never told exactly what injuries Sherlock suffered, only given an idea of the location, and that his heart stopped, and that it was a long recovery.  The long recovery itself it puzzling - it's very unusual these days for somebody to be in hospital for so long, and we're never given an explanation. For comparism, I believe people would usually stay in hospital for not more than a week after open heart surgery, or a month after a heart transplant.  By the time he meets Magnussen in the cafe (whenever that is) he's clearly ambulent and eating and drinking normally.   Rehab could be done as an outpatient.   It's quite possible that he had a series of complications that needed to be treated as an inpatient, but we're never given any information at all about this.  (Incidentally I read on another doctor's blog that it's difficult to kill somebody by shooting them in the chest). 

In the end, it's fantasy in a way.  It's not written from a medical background, but to make a good story.  I appreciate the medics analysing it (I've read the pieces by both the writers mentioned here before, and enjoyed them immensely), but if you look at the medical stuff in the series in general, then it tends to be a bit off.

I'm not trying to vindicate Mary, but to try to understand her motivations (we're given so little information there, and have to "deduce"), and where the story is going with it.    I understand if you think the evidence points to Mary trying to kill Sherlock.  I did too, and was expecting another "twist".  But for the reasons I've given, I no longer think that's the case.  There still could be another twist in S4, and Mary could be a villain, but I don't think it will hinge on the shooting. 

Last edited by Liberty (October 8, 2015 9:10 pm)

October 8, 2015 9:10 pm  #2362

?

nakahara wrote:

Yes, I´m in a conspiracy to target the post of others and twist them. My posts don´t actually reflect my opinions, they are only there to ridicule other members of the forum. I have no better work than that, I´m sorry. So I lurk in the shadows and when a particullary juicy post comes, I jump and attack it...

And you are not the least paranoid...

I've made some more room in the doghouse for us both. Lots of chocolate, wine and croissants! 

October 8, 2015 9:15 pm  #2363

Liberty wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

So far, we have made Sherlock's mind palace an unreliable source, Medical research by experts is now suspect, and now Moffatt's writing ( when it comes to research) is slapdash and unreliable. All of this to vindicate Mary. Just sayin'. 

The problem with this approach is that now-- we can't believe anything the show has to tell us, we can't even believe our own eyes. If facts are mutable and can be re-shaped to suit one's feelings, what use is fact? It's fact that Mary shot Sherlock. It's fact that he flatlined, and nearly died. It's fact that he was in the hospital for a long, long time due to his injury. It's fact that Mary lied about her past, and shot Sherlock to cover it up. And also that after that, she threatened him, and then stalked him to threaten him again. 

But, maybe I only imagined those things... maybe it never happened... it was dream sequence!! 

Errrrr......

It's not that his mind palace is "unreliable", but that it's based on what he knows, observations, memories, relationships, etc.  He's not supposed to be psychic, just very good at deduction.  But he can't use his mind palace to make deductions based on knowledge that he only has after he comes round from being shot.  

Again, the medical opinons are not suspect, but they are based on a fictional account.   We're never told exactly what injuries Sherlock suffered, only given an idea of the location, and that his heart stopped, and that it was a long recovery.  The long recovery itself it puzzling - it's very unusual these days for somebody to be in hospital for so long, and we're never given an explanation. For comparism, I believe people would usually stay in hospital for not more than a week after open heart surgery, or a month after a heart transplant.  By the time he meets Magnussen in the cafe (whenever that is) he's clearly ambulent and eating and drinking normally.   Rehab could be done as an outpatient.   It's quite possible that he had a series of complications that needed to be treated as an inpatient, but we're never given any information at all about this.  (Incidentally I read on another doctor's blog that it's difficult to kill somebody by shooting them in the chest). 

In the end, it's fantasy in a way.  It's not written from a medical background, but to make a good story.  I appreciate the medics analysing it (I've read the pieces by both the writers mentioned here before, and enjoyed them immensely), but if you look at the medical stuff in the series in general, then it tends to be a bit off.

I'm not trying to vindicate Mary, but to try to understand her motivations (we're given so little information there, and have to "deduce"), and where the story is going with it.    I understand if you think the evidence points to Mary trying to kill Sherlock.  I did too, and was expecting another "twist".  But for the reasons I've given, I no longer think that's the case.  There still could be another twist in S4, and Mary could be a villain, but I don't think it will hinge on the shooting. 

Actually, back in March, I was hospitalized for 3 and a half weeks due to perotonitis from an imploding appendix.  So, long hospitalizations do happen.

The sheer length of time it took for Sherlock to recover should tell us that Mary's shot wasn't as benign as it's sometimes characterized as being.

October 8, 2015 9:20 pm  #2364

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

?

nakahara wrote:

Yes, I´m in a conspiracy to target the post of others and twist them. My posts don´t actually reflect my opinions, they are only there to ridicule other members of the forum. I have no better work than that, I´m sorry. So I lurk in the shadows and when a particullary juicy post comes, I jump and attack it...

And you are not the least paranoid...

I've made some more room in the doghouse for us both. Lots of chocolate, wine and croissants!

Hmmm... delicious. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 8, 2015 10:01 pm  #2365

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

The sheer length of time it took for Sherlock to recover should tell us that Mary's shot wasn't as benign as it's sometimes characterized as being.

Maybe Mary has read just the wrong meta ... 

Last edited by Harriet (October 8, 2015 10:02 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 8, 2015 10:12 pm  #2366

Arresting officer: So you shot Sherlock Holmes, that's attempted murder, miss! You're going up the river for a long, long time!

Mary: What!? Hey, I shot him in the liver! I saved him by shooting him somewhere harmless!

Officer: Nice try, missy, nice try....

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (October 8, 2015 10:13 pm)

October 9, 2015 5:31 am  #2367

Liberty wrote:

I agree.. sadly. I would have loved for Mary to be a villain, and I will never be able to swallow the surgery-explanation. Not because it doesn't make much sense.. I could live with that. Medical conditions in TV shows often don't make any sense. The massive problem I'm having with it is that because of the long build-up of suspense it doesn't make any emotional and psychological sense to me.. I just can't stay in the shows universe while watching it, see the things Mary does afterwards, her facial expressions and reactions, and still think this is a satisfactory resolution for what has happened (maybe it's also partly to blame on Benedicts brilliant and heartbreaking performance which left a massive impact on me - such an impact can not be undone by some "mixed messages, I grant you"- handwaving comments). For quite a long time I thought this points toward Mary being the cliffhanger and there was still more to it, but after the commentary this has changed. I'm not in the camp who believes that every word they say is just a lie to protect future plot points.. so I have to entertain the possibility that it is meant to be taken at face value. And talking to casual viewers and judging from the figures and awards they received it worked just fine for the majority. So.. yeah. It doesn't work for me and I feel that after the blue cushion and the off-switch the "surgery" has been the one plot twist too many for me.. I'm sure that won't give them sleepless nights though  .

October 9, 2015 6:43 am  #2368

Yes, I agree about Benedict's acting in that scene.  It's painful to watch.

I'm not so bothered about the medical inconsistencies either (even if it seems a bit farfetched, that's fine in a story).   What bothers me is the story/plot element of Sherlock flatlining.  There still should be an element of detective show there, and a chance for us to try to "solve" it alongside Sherlock and  it doesn't work.  Yes, in "real life" Mary could have meant to do "surgery" while accidently killing Sherlock, but story-wise I think the fact that he virtually dies should be a clue that she meant to kill him.  If she'd merely wounded him rather than only missing killing him by the tiniest of unpredictable chances, then the question "How could a skilled assassin shoot to kill and miss?" would be more meaningful.  (Perhaps Sherlock even misses that one out and just asks himself "Why didn't she shoot me in the head?")   I would feel much, much happier if they'd just missed out the flatlining.  

Then on top of that, we don't have the information about the ambulance coming early.   We only know because Sherlock tells us.   So that's a deduction he makes with information we don't have, which feels like cheating to me .   I don't feel invested in it.  I don't feel I could possibly have come to that conclusion given the evidence, and I feel I should be able to.   (I know we're not supposed to be as clever as Sherlock, but I do think there's an extent to which the reader/viewer is supposed to have the clues there to be able to guess, in good mystery writing.   And I know the argument against that is that this isn't a pure detective story or a mystery story, but, personally, I would appreciate if the writers preservered those elements).   It's not a big deal, but it adds to the problem with the "surgery" explanation: I don't feel I'm "on board", if you know what I mean. 

Last edited by Liberty (October 9, 2015 6:48 am)

October 9, 2015 12:49 pm  #2369

Yes, I feel the same.. I´m not "on board" with the explanation.
We have a lot of misleading clues to add to the drama and surprise effect, but we don´t have many substantial evidence to support the explanation afterwards. We are not shown but told what to believe - and even what we´re told completely relies on deductions that are based on things like exactly measuring the time while being unconscious and bleeding out, and all ambulances in central London exactly arriving 8 minutes after the incoming call. Even when accepting Sherlock´s deductions as some kind of superpower and the heightened reality of the show´s universe, that´s not exactly something that makes me go "ah, of course.. now it all makes sense. She totally saved his life. And you got me thinking she was a baddie for putting him through the agony of his life and as close to his slab as it can get. And repeatedly threatening him afterwards. And appearing stone-cold in the face of his and John´s suffering. Clever, very clever.. you totally had me. The average time an ambulance takes, I should have thought of that.. Keep up the good work, everyone!" 

October 9, 2015 6:21 pm  #2370

I'm agreeing. Even in fantasy-- the "fantasy logic" needs to be consistent. And even more importanly-- characterization. That's a huge problem, here. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (October 9, 2015 6:21 pm)

October 9, 2015 6:43 pm  #2371

Here here.
I'm hoping that this is a "trust us - this is going somewhere really good in S4" situation.

October 10, 2015 10:47 am  #2372

Ukaunz posted this interesting quote in another thread. Funny how Mark mentioned this in an interview about HoB while it has much more impact on series 3 (and possibly 4):

"There are lots of people in happy marriages who turn out to have terrible secrets or to have done some awful deed in the past that must be paid for in the present. In Doyle’s stories, those are the ghosts you need to worry about."
—     
Mark Gatiss, http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-01-08/mark-gatiss-on-writing-the-hounds-of-baskerville

Last edited by SusiGo (October 10, 2015 11:01 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 10, 2015 1:20 pm  #2373

It does give one pause.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 10, 2015 3:03 pm  #2374

The thing I hope for is that it doesn't mean more episodes revolving around Mary-/Watsondrama. The longer the hiatus the more I realize that I'm absolutely done with that and just want to move on.
Thank you. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

October 10, 2015 3:06 pm  #2375

It gives me hope. Because Mary has not paid the price yet.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 10, 2015 3:09 pm  #2376

You have a good point there, Susi..... 
I'm just not really sure, if that would be Moffat's style, to drag those things along. After all, he truly believes everybody loves this character and all that has been done with her and thereby to Sherlock and John.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

October 10, 2015 3:22 pm  #2377

True. But it would quite against what Mark said and I have the feeling that their basic ideas about Sherlock Holmes are very similar. And the Watson marriage is the only one to which this might apply. The Smallwoods are not important enough IMO. And is shows how long they have been thinking about these things. 

October 10, 2015 3:28 pm  #2378

Yes, a few nice ghosts who actually care about the awful deeds she apparently has done in the past would be welcome to me - as her present companions seem to have chosen blissful ignorance instead. And condemned us to share it .. I hate not knowing. How can one choose to forgive and forget without actually knowing what to forgive and forget? Unconditional love I do not feel towards her, I want some facts about whom she hurt and what she did with what motives. And I want Sherlock Holmes of all people to care about facts too, not about wishy-washy sentimental things like married bliss and happy families and "I just like her so much and she saved my life - mixed messages I grant you". And I want John Watson to really be honorable and upright and not staying married to a potential murderer just because Sherlock said so and his parents are so nice together and he chose her and it´s what he likes after all.. so in the fire with evidence that could make him not love her anymore.. *argh* 

October 10, 2015 3:44 pm  #2379

Well said!
*applauds *

October 10, 2015 6:40 pm  #2380

Where can I sign this immediately, Zatoichi? You've put into perfect words what has been floating around in my head for what seems to be an eternity.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera