BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2015 2:11 pm  #21

Re: How many fights have John and Sherlock had?

Waouh! A retranscription of the whole text of each episode? I'm not fan enough to do that, but I appreciate!
Thanks for this link, I'll explore more.

Much more synthetic -subjective selection, my post about Johnlock domestics:
http://sherlockdoyourresearch.blogspot.fr/2015/08/dialogues-johnlock-domestics.html#more

--------------------------------------------------------------
What? Cameras? Here? I'm in my nightie!

August 17, 2015 6:20 pm  #22

Glad you like! Awesome resource. 

August 27, 2015 3:20 am  #23

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Dorothy83 wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

How would Sherlock get that-- when he was having a meltdown? He didn't seem particularly calm to me. I just re-watched it, and he really was coming apart. 

Yes, he was...sorry, I don't understand your question? My feeling was that realising that he was scared and that he was overreacting irritated Sherlock even more (he tells John something like 'See I'm scared') and that in turn made his meltdown even worse.

Actually, I thought John referring to Sherlock as "Spock", was said in a rather derisive manner. If someone said that to me, when I was panicking, assuming that because , normally I tend to be calm and logical-- I think I'd throw something at them. 

I just came across something about this particular scene at the Baker Street Wikia site (http://bakerstreet.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hounds_of_Baskerville), and it made me remember this thread. When BBC Sherlock says "Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true," he's obviously paraphrasing the famous catchphrase from Arthur Conan Doyle's stories, but apparently he's also quoting Spock in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) and Star Trek (2009) (I don't know this for sure myself, but that's what it says at the Wikia site). So when John replies "Yeah, all right, Spock, just ... take it easy", he isn't necessarily deriding Sherlock's behaviour as Spock-like, but merely acknowledging Sherlock's meta pop culture reference (Sherlock quoting Spock quoting Sherlock )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 27, 2015 4:21 am  #24

ukaunz wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Dorothy83 wrote:

Yes, he was...sorry, I don't understand your question? My feeling was that realising that he was scared and that he was overreacting irritated Sherlock even more (he tells John something like 'See I'm scared') and that in turn made his meltdown even worse.

Actually, I thought John referring to Sherlock as "Spock", was said in a rather derisive manner. If someone said that to me, when I was panicking, assuming that because , normally I tend to be calm and logical-- I think I'd throw something at them. 

I just came across something about this particular scene at the Baker Street Wikia site (http://bakerstreet.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hounds_of_Baskerville), and it made me remember this thread. When BBC Sherlock says "Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true," he's obviously paraphrasing the famous catchphrase from Arthur Conan Doyle's stories, but apparently he's also quoting Spock in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) and Star Trek (2009) (I don't know this for sure myself, but that's what it says at the Wikia site). So when John replies "Yeah, all right, Spock, just ... take it easy", he isn't necessarily deriding Sherlock's behaviour as Spock-like, but merely acknowledging Sherlock's meta pop culture reference (Sherlock quoting Spock quoting Sherlock )

Actually, Spock was quoting Doyle: 

#3:  When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever...     "You will not apply my precept," he said, shaking his head. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth=16px? We know that he did not come through the door, the window, or the chimney. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room, as there is no concealment possible. When, then, did he come?"
     The Sign of the Four, ch. 6 (1890)
     Sherlock Holmes in The Sign of the Four (Doubleday p. 111)
http://www.bestofsherlock.com/top-10-sherlock-quotes.htm#impossible

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 27, 2015 4:22 am)

August 27, 2015 7:56 am  #25

The "Spock"-commnent I always saw as in direct reference to Sherlock going about how feelings are "the fly in the ointment etc" John could see that Sherlock was getting himself in quite a state, going on about how horrible feelings are. So I saw the comment as a way of saying "Yeah, I get it, you dislike feelings, calm down now".

Slightly snarky, but that is what the two of them do, it seems.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 29, 2015 1:16 am  #26

Vhanja wrote:

The "Spock"-commnent I always saw as in direct reference to Sherlock going about how feelings are "the fly in the ointment etc" John could see that Sherlock was getting himself in quite a state, going on about how horrible feelings are. So I saw the comment as a way of saying "Yeah, I get it, you dislike feelings, calm down now".

Slightly snarky, but that is what the two of them do, it seems.

And, it's still not a real sensitive thing to say to someone having a bonafide panic attack. John's a doctor, and he should know better. And the fact that it actually made Sherlock worse, is proof of that. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 29, 2015 1:16 am)

August 29, 2015 7:02 am  #27

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

And, it's still not a real sensitive thing to say to someone having a bonafide panic attack. John's a doctor, and he should know better. And the fact that it actually made Sherlock worse, is proof of that. 

I've always seen the two of them as slightly dysfunctional when it comes to emotions (although maybe in slightly different ways).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 29, 2015 6:34 pm  #28

Vhanja wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I've always seen the two of them as slightly dysfunctional when it comes to emotions (although maybe in slightly different ways).

Agreed on that one! :-D

September 1, 2015 10:13 am  #29

I reckon John was so shocked at seeing Sherlock out so out of character that he reacted in an instinctive way and not really following any medical code

Board footera