BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2015 3:15 pm  #4981

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

Just found this and it made me think. Of course Sherlock is drunk and drunk people (even heartless sociopaths) may get soppy and sentimental. But is it not a strange moment to react like that? I mean, she did not talk about her dead pet or something like that. She talked about two people who feel attracted to each other but are too shy to go further. Well …

http://slashscribe.tumblr.com/post/128032176096/theappledorvaults-i-dont-date-all-that

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 31, 2015 3:21 pm  #4982

I read that a couple of times already, and yes, words and faces are so fitting and heartbreaking. But I fear it is one of those moments that were made for pure comic effects, his face is supposed to show how " goldfishy" he finds Tessa. Could that be a possibility?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 31, 2015 3:23 pm  #4983

You are right, it is played for comic effect. But I do not think he is condescending towards Tessa, not at all. For me the whole drunk in 221B scene shows an uninhibited Sherlock who reveals things that are in his nature but are usually suppressed. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 31, 2015 3:28 pm  #4984

Yes, it definitely belongs to those little scenes that make much more sense, if at all apart from a laugh, with JOHNLOCK! 

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 31, 2015 9:14 pm  #4985

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 31, 2015 9:18 pm  #4986

Great find 

August 31, 2015 9:19 pm  #4987

Lol, that was awesome! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 1, 2015 4:55 am  #4988

SusiGo wrote:

You are right, it is played for comic effect. But I do not think he is condescending towards Tessa, not at all. For me the whole drunk in 221B scene shows an uninhibited Sherlock who reveals things that are in his nature but are usually suppressed. 

I agree. And it's one of those moments you can read in two different ways. You can just take it for what it seems to be (Tessa telling her story and Sherlock just reacting to it in his drunk manner), or you can try and bring together what is said by Tessa and what Sherlock's face shows us.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 1, 2015 8:12 pm  #4989

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 1, 2015 8:23 pm  #4990

mrshouse wrote:

I read that a couple of times already, and yes, words and faces are so fitting and heartbreaking. But I fear it is one of those moments that were made for pure comic effects, his face is supposed to show how " goldfishy" he finds Tessa. Could that be a possibility?

Oh, I always thought that moment was to show that Sherlock, being drunk, became emotional and was surprised by himself for his own reactions. Quite an awesome moment.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 1, 2015 8:23 pm  #4991

Nakahara: Love this! 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 1, 2015 8:25 pm)

September 4, 2015 7:50 pm  #4992

September 4, 2015 7:51 pm  #4993

Ha! Scientific proof.  

September 4, 2015 7:55 pm  #4994

Well observed! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 5, 2015 9:31 pm  #4995

September 6, 2015 5:22 am  #4996

Oh, that thing he does with his mouth... tragic 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 6, 2015 8:59 am  #4997

Noo. 

September 6, 2015 9:40 am  #4998

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 6, 2015 9:49 am  #4999

Oh no... I don't like the scene in the carriage all that much, but that moment... wow...

Last edited by SolarSystem (September 6, 2015 9:50 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 6, 2015 10:05 am  #5000

Well, we all know Sherlock is a great actor ,right? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera