BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2015 4:09 pm  #1

Reporter, Cameraman Killed In Shooting During Live News Broadcast

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wbdj-shooting-on-air_55ddaa54e4b0a40aa3acca3c?aj9ssjor

Horrible news out of Virginia today.

I am physically and emotionally sick at this.  I am horrified by the gun worship in my country and I don't understand it!
I know that "guns don't kill, people kill" but guns make it so damn easy!
I don't want to outlaw guns, but why can't they be at least as regulated for ownership and safety as our automobiles are?!?!?

My heart hurts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 26, 2015 4:32 pm  #2

Re: Reporter, Cameraman Killed In Shooting During Live News Broadcast

I heard about this on the radio today. Unbelievable. And so utterly horrible. I heard the guvernor said it was an employee that was unhappy with the channel. But that wasn't the fault of that poor reporter and camera man? I don't get that logic. 

And, yeah, I agree guns are far too easily accessable in the US. Just now the police in Norway are allowed to carry guns on their regular day job, and it scares me a bit. More guns leads to more violence. Armed police force can easily escalate the situation. Then again, the criminals have probably escalated it already by themselves.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 26, 2015 4:43 pm  #3

I agree with you 100% but so many people in the US lose all logic when talking about gun control.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 26, 2015 4:48 pm  #4

What a sad and troubling news, tonnaree! I hope and pray that some day insight will prevail.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 26, 2015 4:59 pm  #5

That's terrible news. My thoughts are with the family and friends.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 26, 2015 8:10 pm  #6

That is so sad! I don't understand why anyone would think that was an appropriate way to voice their anger.  They were just two people doing their job! 

As far as guns in the US: I would agree, that guns should be kept track of just like people who own and/or drive cars.  Cars can be weapons too and yet for some reason more people make a fuss about gun registering and licensing than they do for cars.  If you don't want guns to be illegal and you are a proud gun owner, why do you care if the government knows you have one? If you aren't planning on killing people, why should you care that the government knows you own a gun? And I've read that if guns are registered than they can sometimes use that to figure out whose gun was used in a crime, and if the owner did it, which I don't think is a bad thing (although if it's a stolen gun I guess they'd still need evidence that it wasn't the owner who was the killer, but at least they have a way of getting information).

But gun control debate aside, this is still a very sad story of people who were killed for no good reason.

Clueing for looks.

August 26, 2015 9:26 pm  #7

tonnaree wrote:

I agree with you 100% but so many people in the US lose all logic when talking about gun control.

I mean no offence, but I think there´s a heavy indoctrination in the US in favour of guns and their availability. The about mentioned mantra "guns don´t kill people, people kill people" is a most notorious example of this and as any propagandist piece, it´s shoved down people´s throats for such a long time, that they´ll simply accept it at the end without thinking twice about it - since for them it´s already an apparent truth that doesn´t need proofs. (And somebody´s getting quite rich from selling and spreading those instruments of death - in the US but also abroad.)

Add to this an attractive and excessive, flattering portrayals of gun violence in our today´s media and film and their underlying message that you can solve anything by starting fire on others ....and it´s just a question of time when such atrocity happens.

So sorry for the lives innocently lost - but with such attitude it won´t change in near future. No poor victim is going to change the system where oligarchic money are involved.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 26, 2015 10:23 pm  #8

nakahara wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I mean no offence, but I think there´s a heavy indoctrination in the US in favour of guns and their availability. The about mentioned mantra "guns don´t kill people, people kill people" is a most notorious example of this and as any propagandist piece, it´s shoved down people´s throats for such a long time, that they´ll simply accept it at the end without thinking twice about it - since for them it´s already an apparent truth that doesn´t need proofs. (And somebody´s getting quite rich from selling and spreading those instruments of death - in the US but also abroad.)

Add to this an attractive and excessive, flattering portrayals of gun violence in our today´s media and film and their underlying message that you can solve anything by starting fire on others ....and it´s just a question of time when such atrocity happens.

So sorry for the lives innocently lost - but with such attitude it won´t change in near future. No poor victim is going to change the system where oligarchic money are involved.

No offense what so ever.  I agree with you and I HATE it!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 27, 2015 6:15 am  #9

nakahara wrote:

No poor victim is going to change the system where oligarchic money are involved.

Yes, I think this became apparent after the elemetary school shooting.. if even this couldn´t change legislation, then no "occassional shooting" (shudder) will. I don´t know which level of organisation and amounts of money would be needed to gain enough momentum and political influence to overrun this established system of profiteers.. it sure has to be massive. But I still hope against hope that someday it will be accomplished.

My heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims..

August 27, 2015 7:42 am  #10

I am sorry for everyone who were affected by this, how awful. 

Guns scare me so much. I live in a country where firearms are illegal (unless you have a strict purpose, and even then there are many laws on how to handle and store them). 
Still there are guns going around in the criminal world and there has been gun violence here too. But never on the scale seen in the US. 

I am a firm believer that "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" but the liberal gun laws just make it so much easier to pull the trigger before you think. 

I once heard an American commedian say that they should make bullets really, really expensive; that way you were forced to rethink your decision; if you'd really want to spend that much money on gunning someone down. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 27, 2015 1:49 pm  #11

It's just scary all over.  The majority of gun oweners seem to beleive that their should be no restrictions at all!  And refuse to acknowledge the much lower violence statistics countries with stricter gun laws have.

Also, so many say that even if guns were illegal, crimminals would still be able to get them.  Using this logic, why have any laws at all?!?!?!  Yes, drugs are illegal and people can still get them,  BUT, if there were no drug laws at all imagine the chaos!

Sorry to ramble on but this issue is very frsutrating and upsetting to me.  It makes me ashamed of my country which, in the eyes of the ultra conservatives, makes me a bad person.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 27, 2015 2:44 pm  #12

tonnaree wrote:

Sorry to ramble on but this issue is very frsutrating and upsetting to me.  It makes me ashamed of my country which, in the eyes of the ultra conservatives, makes me a bad person.

Well, they are them and you are you. You must act according to your own conscience, not according to their dogmas.

Great American literary hero, Huckleberry Finn, was indoctrinated too that he would end up in hell if he´ll help escaped black slaves - yet when things came to pass, he still decided to rather end up in eternal flames, than to betray his black friend Jim.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 30, 2015 8:09 am  #13

Just entered this thread and wanted to say firstly how tragic (YET AGAIN) this latest incident in a line of so many is. I am horrified at the almost daily reports of toddlers accidentally shooting themselves or others because they have taken a gun from their mother's purse in a supermarket! We in the UK have very occasional mass shootings (about 3 in the last 25 years or so) but gun legislation is extremely tight here. That criminals can still get guns is simply not a valid argument against legislation. As mentioned previously this would, followed to its logical conclusion, mean there should be no laws at all then.

As an historian, American history being one of my specialities at college, I feel that the misuse of an amendment to the American constitution to enforce this frankly lunatic view of access to guns would make those who passed that amendment turn in their graves. The necessity all those years ago for an armed civilian militia that could be called on if required, due to having no standing army, is now completely irrelevant; last time I checked the U.S. had a professional army of sorts.

It astounds me, being on various Facebook groups, how incredibly nonchalant many Americans are over their possession and carrying of guns and indeed other weapons. Why anyone needs an automatic weapon in everyday life baffles me. When talking over the response after a theoretical zombie outbreak, as one example, Americans will often say something along the lines of: well I've got my gun/pistol/hunting knife/crossbow.....As a Brit I find this actually, deeply shocking.

Seeing photos of little girls with pink rifles etc..... Speechless! Then, of course, we have these poor innocent people gunned down by a person who quite clearly, from reports, has severe psychological problems. It is like Groundhog Day...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 30, 2015 1:36 pm  #14

Davina, I have grown up with the gun culture and I still agree with every word you said.  I have realtives who would probaly give up a limb before they gave up a gun.   It frightens and saddens me.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 30, 2015 1:40 pm  #15

Davina, I have grown up with the gun culture and I still agree with every word you said.  I have realtives who would probaly give up a limb before they gave up a gun.   It frightens and saddens me.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 30, 2015 7:52 pm  #16

And here the key word is 'culture'. The American fascination and adoration of guns and weaponry is a cultural phenomenon and cultural issue. Canadians have many guns but the culture 'North of the border' is very different. I only know one person with a gun, and he is a farmer. No one I know would feel deprived without a. Gun smoke because they do not have one,  no one feels vulnerable or loan to be targeted without one. Clearly in some areas where gun culture reigns things are different but generally this is not the case here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 30, 2015 8:18 pm  #17

And me coming from Norway, I don't understand this culture or way of thinking at all. The only people owning a gun here are hunters. And they own specific rifles that they need a license for. Police have guns, but they are locked away outside of working hours. I don't know anyone who actually own a firearm at home. It would be a really, really big deal.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera