BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2015 8:21 am  #1

TV movie "Sherlock" (2002)

I've never heard Moffat and Gatiss mention this film having served as an inspiration for them for their "Sherlock".

But – there are so many quotes and ideas in it that can't be called coincidences.
Not. At. All.
Parts from this movie appear in each of the three "Sherlock" series.

First of all, there's the title: "Sherlock".
When I stumbled across the DVD in a bargain bin in a bookshop, I - for a split second!– thought that it might have something to do with our Sherlock. (A game or something like that.)
Quite forgivable at the sight of the cover:

I bravely resisted to look the movie up on imdb.com before I watched it.
It's set in Victorian times and features a young (!), good-looking (!) and fashion-conscious (!) "Sherlock" alongside a clever (!) Watson.
Quite at the beginning, there's a scene with Sherlock and Moriarty fighting.
Before Moriarty's going to fall into the London sewer system, there is this sentence that instantly had me at the edge of my sofa:

And after this, I hardly relaxed… (but made a list instead.)

No idea if I should share my observations here.
Maybe some of you want to watch the film and find out the references to our Sherlock by themselves?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 26, 2015 3:06 pm  #2

Re: TV movie "Sherlock" (2002)

Interesting.  Is it a German film? In that case, I don't know how likely it is that Gatiss and Moffat saw it, but I suppose it's still possible that they know of its existence or have read something about it.

Clueing for looks.

July 26, 2015 3:23 pm  #3

No, it's not a German movie. It's a USA/UK/Romania collaboration.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 26, 2015 4:02 pm  #4

Oh, OK. Interesting combination of countries. 

Clueing for looks.

July 26, 2015 6:30 pm  #5

Feel free to share your obversations, tobe. Everyone who does not want to be spoiled can stay away and read this later. I watched the film as well and the parallels are indeed very conspicuous. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 27, 2015 10:37 am  #6

I saw this film on sale somewhere. Now I want to watch it!
I would like to compare observations :-) (after watching the film I'll come back here)
FSK16 sounds really high to me for a Sherlock film, what the heck is happening in there?

tobeornot221b wrote:

I've never heard Moffat and Gatiss mention this film having served as an inspiration for them for their "Sherlock".

We can always ask them

Last edited by Whisky (July 27, 2015 10:41 am)

"It is what it is."

August 18, 2015 5:35 pm  #7

I enjoyed it quite a lot - and can't remember what the FSK16 might have been for 
Yes, agree, there are some things that might have inspired them 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 27, 2015 3:49 pm  #8

Here's Sherlock's little fan club.
The girls sound like Kitty Riley and Benji.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 27, 2015 7:19 pm  #9

I really enjoyed the film and there are indeed quite a lot of things that remind me of our Sherlock. And the cover is definitely inspired by the Guy Ritchie films. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 27, 2015 7:41 pm  #10

The woman in the window of 221B:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 3, 2015 6:46 pm  #11

And these also sound  and look familiar:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 3, 2015 6:57 pm  #12

Oh, the Flying Death Frisbee 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 13, 2015 6:43 pm  #13

...and this scene

may have influenced this one:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 10, 2015 7:15 pm  #14

There's also an equivalent to the pool scene in TGG – albeit without a pool...

Moriarty has abducted Rebecca, Sherlock's love interest, whom he now threatens to kill – just because he is so evil.
And...  Professor Moriarty's exact words in this scene make a fine mismatch with the TGG picture:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 10, 2015 7:44 pm  #15

This is crazy.
Is our Sherlock "quoting" the other movie, or both movies are quoting the canon?

November 10, 2015 8:45 pm  #16

I would put it like this - Steven and Mark probably know all the adaptations and Canon and have created their own version while drawing on things they have found and liked there. 

November 10, 2015 9:07 pm  #17

Well so there is a chance they might include the town I live it - it was prominently placed in the Game of Shadows. Would gladly play a guide if they decide to shoot in situ.

November 11, 2015 8:16 am  #18

This film certainly looks interesting! Do you know if there's an English version? Or subtitles ? it's been so long since I actually listened to something in German *sigh*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

November 11, 2015 8:49 pm  #19

As mentioned above, it's not a German movie. It's a UK/US/Romania collaboration in English language.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 4, 2017 12:36 pm  #20

tobeornot221b wrote:

But – there are so many quotes and ideas in it that can't be called coincidences.
Not. At. All.
Parts from this movie appear in each of the three "Sherlock" series.

First of all, there's the title: "Sherlock".
When I stumbled across the DVD in a bargain bin in a bookshop, I - for a split second!– thought that it might have something to do with our Sherlock. (A game or something like that.)

I bravely resisted to look the movie up on imdb.com before I watched it.
It's set in Victorian times and features a young (!), good-looking (!) and fashion-conscious (!) "Sherlock" alongside a clever (!) Watson.
Quite at the beginning, there's a scene with Sherlock and Moriarty fighting.
Before Moriarty's going to fall into the London sewer system, there is this sentence that instantly had me at the edge of my sofa.

And after this, I hardly relaxed… (but made a list instead.)

No idea if I should share my observations here.
Maybe some of you want to watch the film and find out the references to our Sherlock by themselves?

At first, vielen lieben Dank and many thanks to you for this topic! 🌹

I discovered this quite unusual movie for myself at one warm autumnal day in September a.D. 2014 and was immediately captivated by its portrayal of the Hero.
At the same time I was amused about lots of similar details with our BBC subject.
After enjoying "Sherlock. The case of Evil" (2002)  several times again and again, I'd allow myself to list all the moments which are too important to do not mention them.
The script itself is very weak, though,  but all the actors used to provide excellent performances, expecially  Mr. James D'Arcy,  who brilliantly reincarnated  young Mr. Holmes at the time of his first meeting Dr. Watson by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle .
And the soundtrack is really good, just to note.
Here we have:

1) Young and very attractive Holmes
2) Slender Mycroft
3) Difficult relationship with Mycroft
4) Flashbacks to ( traumatised ) childhood 
5) Fancy fop Moriarty 
6) Smart helpful Dr. Watson, who is also pathologist : no need of Molly Hooper 
7) Moriarty hires an actress to play a blackmail - victim  and to discredit Holmes : no need of Rich Brook 
8) The woman in Holmes ' bed ( seeking protection )
9 ) Very drunk Sherlock
10 ) Very drugged Sherlock
11) Kidnapped and tortured Sherlock
12 ) Moriarty building a great cryme net
13) Each case as breaking news in newspaper
14) Watson gives Sherlock the dossier of the woman after her death.

I presume, there are some more moments, it would be very nice when any of you  will add them , too.

Last edited by DramaQueen (May 4, 2017 12:57 pm)

Men should be what they seem, 
Or those that be not, would they might seem none!

Board footera