BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2015 12:33 am  #1

references

I am looking forward to the next series and fully trust the writers in whatever adventures Sherlock will undertake next. My only recommendation would be in regards to inserting a scene, or to be more specific a quote, from the original cannon. So far the references tying into Arthur Connan Doyle's original stories have been scattered about the episodes much to the amusement of myself and I am sure many others, so though I adore the updated spin on one of literature's greatest detectives I feel that there is still a scene missing. In "The Naval Treaty" Sherlock gives an uncharacteristic speech on the beauty and religious relevance of a the moss rose which shows a very different side to the 'emotionless' detective. Or would this scene feel too similar to Sherlock's best man speech? I would love to know your opinions and what cannon references you want to see in the next season.

“'What a lovely thing a rose is!'
He walked past the couch to the open window and held up the drooping stalk of a moss-rose, looking down at the dainty blend of crimson and green. It was a new phase of his character to me, for I had never before seen him show any keen interest in natural objects.
'There is nothing in which deduction is so necessary as religion,' said he, leaning with his back against the shutters. 'It can be built up as an exact science by the reasoner. Our highest assurance of the goodness of Providence seems to me to rest in the flowers. All other things, our powers, our desires, our food, are all really necessary for our existence in the first instance. But this rose is an extra. Its smell and its color are an embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope from the flowers.'"
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Naval Treaty

Last edited by RD (August 24, 2015 3:35 am)

...............................................................................................................................
"In any story, the villain is the catalyst. The hero's not a person who will bend the rules or show the cracks in his armor. He's one-dimensional intentionally, but the villain is the person who owns up to what he is and stands by it."
~Marilyn Manson

August 24, 2015 12:37 pm  #2

Re: references

Oooh, my biggest wish is to see this thing realised onscreen as the canon reference:

"Look here, Watson; you look regularly done. Lie down there on the sofa, and see if I can put you to sleep."
He took up his violin from the corner, and as I stretched myself out he began to play some low, dreamy, melodious air,—his own, no doubt, for he had a remarkable gift for improvisation. I have a vague remembrance of his gaunt limbs, his earnest face, and the rise and fall of his bow. Then I seemed to be floated peacefully away upon a soft sea of sound, until I found myself in dream-land...

(ACD, The Sign of the Four)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 24, 2015 8:39 pm  #3

Holy cow, nakahara...! I am not familiar with canon at all, but this I definitely like. A lot.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 24, 2015 8:41 pm  #4

I read The Sign of the Four two years ago, but obviously I don't remember very much of it because I don't remember that lovely passage at all!

Clueing for looks.

August 27, 2015 3:00 pm  #5

Swanpride wrote:

There is this great scene in which a suspect is shooting in Watson's direction and Holmes bascially flies off the handle and says that the is very lucky that he didn't hit him, because then he wouldn't have survived his wrath either.

Oooh, you are reffering "The Three Garridebs"! "

I felt a sudden hot sear as if a red-hot iron had been pressed to my thigh. There was a crash as Holmes's pistol came down on the man's head. I had a vision of him sprawling upon the floor with blood running down his face while Holmes rummaged him for weapons.

Then my friend's wiry arms were round me, and he was leading me to a chair.

"You're not hurt, Watson? For God's sake, say that you are not hurt!"

It was worth a wound -- it was worth many wounds -- to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

"It's nothing, Holmes. It's a mere scratch."

He had ripped up my trousers with his pocket-knife. "You are right," he cried with an immense sigh of relief. "It is quite superficial."

His face set like flint as he glared at our prisoner, who was sitting up with a dazed face. "By the Lord, it is as well for you. If you had killed Watson, you would not have got out of this room alive."

Last edited by nakahara (August 27, 2015 3:01 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 28, 2015 4:30 am  #6

I asume that mostly Johnlockers are waiting for that scene to happen on screen.

Well, I am.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 29, 2015 12:40 am  #7

The Three Garridebs scene would be super touching and definitely very cute, regardless of whether or not you are a Johnlocker

...............................................................................................................................
"In any story, the villain is the catalyst. The hero's not a person who will bend the rules or show the cracks in his armor. He's one-dimensional intentionally, but the villain is the person who owns up to what he is and stands by it."
~Marilyn Manson

Board footera