BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2015 10:10 pm  #21

Re: Game of Thrones- books

Well, I'm also in the middle of ADWD, but I can perfectly seperate between book and series. Two completely different media.
But I haven't watched series 5 so far, so I don't know how they have developed the storyline - I've just heard it will be different from the last book.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 1, 2015 9:24 am  #22

They are different media so I cannot really choose which I like best but I do have a great fondness (putting it mildly)  for  the TV show, as I started that before starting the books. I have decided not to read ahead of where the series has got to as far as is possible (Bran's storyline may scupper me on this...idk...). 
I am reading A Feast For Crows at the moment.

Last edited by Davina (August 1, 2015 9:25 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 5, 2015 5:08 pm  #23

Hi,

In that case I prefer books to the serie. More complex, more subtle characters... The serie did it best to give the atmosphere of the kingdom, that part is not so bad, but I can't say I was hooked by the scenario nor convinced by the casting -except P. Dinklage and C. Dance, both very good.

I read book sceptically, and found it immediately addictive. G. Martin used to write scenarios for TV shows and films, he knows how to keep the attention of the reader at a high level, permanently.
I've been tired by the number of deads and, more than that, by the resurrections (Catherine Stark, seriously?) but it's still a wonderful book to read.

Last edited by BHavers (August 6, 2015 5:14 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------
What? Cameras? Here? I'm in my nightie!

August 5, 2015 5:42 pm  #24

I recently finished the books and I have to say I kind of like the show better until now.

Basically because the show has avoided resurrections/ surprising survivals until now.

What I loved about the books/the show is the idea of no-one is safe. The idea that you could lose your hero in the middle of an adventure, not when his job was done, but just as senselessly as you lose people in real life. It was something that I (as a vivid TV watcher and book reader) was not used to. Usually you always know that the hero will make it to the end, in the worst case you lose him on the last page, but he will have fulfilled his mission. You never have to deal with completely useless deaths; they will always serve a purpose and always happen neatly at the end of a storyline. Not so in ASOIAF/GOT, if someone is in danger, he might actually die, right there and then.

But with all those “back from the grave” things/implications, everyone might come back in some form or another. That kind of lowers the stakes for me.

I loved the richness of the books, but after the third one it kind of went haywire, like Martin lost sight of the story he wanted to tell and was desperately trying to find it back whilst he kept writing. What I still love a lot is the greyness in all the characters, even when they do horrible things you can kind of understand how they ended up there. I find that much more intriguing than the classic black and white, good and evil thing.

Last edited by Lola Red (August 6, 2015 6:09 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

August 6, 2015 5:25 pm  #25

Lola Red wrote:

What I still love a lot is the greyness in all the characters, even when they do horrible things you can kind of understand how they ended up there. I find that much more intriguing than the classic black and white, good and evil thing.

Yes, that's the key point of the story, no doubt.

I agree with you about death being usually avoided in stories for main characters, and that's why I was ok at first with so many unexpected deaths. But Catherine, and now (announced for the 6th tome) John being resurrected, that's just ridiculous. You're right, the serie didn't do that mistake for Catherine up to now. Will John die definitely?

--------------------------------------------------------------
What? Cameras? Here? I'm in my nightie!

August 6, 2015 6:05 pm  #26

I honestly don't know

though I kind of hope he stays dead, two back-from-the-grave Starks seems a bit much.

As I said, I like that there is a real danger of losing a character, really made me sweat every time a turn a page.

Would you do me a favour and put stuff that is spoilery between (spoiler) and (/spoiler), just with [ ] instead of ( )? I’m not sure everyone who reads in here is done with the books. This thread does not have a spoiler tag and I would hate to ruin it for anybody (I edited my earlier post as well just in case)

Last edited by Lola Red (August 6, 2015 6:10 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

August 11, 2015 12:52 pm  #27

Yes, please mark  SPOILER or keep it really general about resurrection - I am one of those who have not read up-to-date yet.

I agree with you Lola about the very real jeopardy that exists for all characters and that this is actually much more like real life e.g. as an historical example Alexander the Great! I mean really...why die then...in that way? Real jeopardy makes for far more exciting (nerve-wracking) reading and watching.

I neither prefer the book nor the show. They are both different and both have merits and some negatives. My life would be the poorer without either of them in it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 1, 2016 12:48 am  #28

A quick scan of this thread (in case of spoilers :D ) has motivated me to try and start reading these again. I've started the first book a couple times and keep giving up around 50 pages in, it just feels so overwhelming with all these characters and places I can't keep straight. I shall give it another chance! I firmly believe anyone on a Sherlock forum must have good taste, so back I go.  

August 1, 2016 7:25 am  #29

Oh I see I'm going to make myself unpopular on the book front, too!
I've only read the first Games of Thrones book.
It was okay, but I don't intend reading anymore.
The again I don't intend watching past season five, when Mark departs!
Not really my thing, but I wanted to see what everyone was going on about.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera