BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 11, 2014 9:21 pm  #1

Help with finding relevant fanfics-thread

I hope it's ok that I start this thread. I used to read a lot of HP-fics quite a few years ago, and they had threads like this where people could specify what they were looking for, and get help to find relevant fics. With popular fandoms such threads are a great help, because it can be near impossible to search through the vast jungle alone.

Now, I know from my HP experience that there is everything from pure garbage to hidden (and not so hidden) gems of fics. So I need help to find what it is I am looking for. 

I know I am picky, but this is what I am looking for:

Johnlock fic that starts out with them as they are in the series. I want their relationship to develop gradually and realistically. I also want the portrayals of John and Sherlock to be as nuanced, deep and true to the series as possible. 

Length, degree of smut or violence is less relevant. Of course, I would prefer a longer story, and I'm not at all looking for PWP. But I can deal with anything from no smut to all out, or from no violence to gore, as long as the story is good and whatever it is, is relevant.

So basically I'm looking for a slow developing, realistic story where the main focus is the emotional, intellectual and practical implications, ups and dows and processes that would be involved with the two of them going from "mates" to a relationship.

Is there anything like that out there?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 1, 2015 1:33 pm  #2

Re: Help with finding relevant fanfics-thread

Would snorklepie's The Edinburgh Problem fit the bill? (http://archiveofourown.org/works/2392997)

Has anybody written a story about Sherlock helping the fish & chips guy "put up some shelves" in the carpentry/DIY sense? I wonder how Sherlock and tools would combine...

May 1, 2015 2:34 pm  #3

I can recommend some stories by prettyvk who writes very, very well: 

The James Holmes Chronicles
http://archiveofourown.org/series/71221

For me one of the best things I read in quite a while. There is an important OC in there, so you would have to like that, but if you do, give them a go. 

Last edited by SusiGo (May 1, 2015 2:35 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 1, 2015 3:28 pm  #4

Wow, I had forgotten all about this thread. Thanks for the tips!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 7, 2015 2:15 am  #5

I definitely had to go in my mind palace for these (which is probably more like a run down shack) and it's been awhile since I've read any of these but from what I can remember these should fall into that description you provided.

Granted they all vary from where they start off ( i.e.  season 1, 2, or 3)

Sorry I'm not providing links, I'm on my iPhone and that would take more patience than I could ever hope to have.

Arguing and Corpses series by aggressivewhenstartled

Common Tongue: Unassuming Brillance by jinglebell

The Real Meaning of Idioms by feverishsea

Triage by scullyseviltwin

Working it Out by Sideris

We Are All Together Alone by mildredandbobbin

Everything You Thought You Wanted by starrysummernights

Apprehension by causidicus

A Shipless Ocean by myswordfishmind

Safe Distance by merripestin

Of Benefits and Certainties series by flawedamythyst

Thirst by bittergreens

Last edited by myrindaside (May 7, 2015 2:16 am)

May 7, 2015 8:16 am  #6

Thanks!

Team Hudders!

August 10, 2015 8:38 pm  #7

Kittyhawk wrote:

Would snorklepie's The Edinburgh Problem fit the bill? (http://archiveofourown.org/works/2392997)

Has anybody written a story about Sherlock helping the fish & chips guy "put up some shelves" in the carpentry/DIY sense? I wonder how Sherlock and tools would combine...

I have more or less forgotten about this thread, but I finally got around to reading this fic. And I LOVED it! It fit the bill of what I was looking for perfectly. It was like reading a good crime novel with romance in between. Thanks for this rec, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Team Hudders!

August 11, 2015 11:03 am  #8

You're welcome! I must have read hundreds of stories since, but it's still one of my favourites.

Board footera