BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2015 11:41 pm  #1

The Book Thief

I’ve just watched The Book Thief –based on the novel by Markus Zusak
I haven’t read the book –yet, and I know it’s a terrible, terrible mistake…
It is a beautiful story, set in terrible, terrible times, many bad things happen (even if the worst is …hinted at, and the viewer will automatically complete with their own knowledge). And yet, I find that this film does convey a very powerful lesson, a lesson on hope, on life, on love and what it means to be human.
Maybe I am reading too much into this film (and I gather I will read even further once I get my hands on the book), but I find that this film has … yes, I think it’s the best thing that happened to me in a very long time. So when I say it brings a lesson on hope, life and love, I cannot be more serious than that.
The part of me that does not want to see the light is…astounded that there is light.

I cannot not advise watching this film (or even better, reading the book, because books are always better than their adaptations, but that’s a debate for another time), but proceed with caution and prepare to have your very core shaken. Stock up on tea and tissues.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 3, 2015 9:12 am  #2

Re: The Book Thief

To be honest, I tried reading the book twice and both times I stopped - the way of writing wasn't just my cup of tea.
I've never watched the film either, but I'm glad that you are impressed by it that much. I felt the same when I watched "Schindler's List" years ago. Hard to imagine what happened during these black times ...

Last edited by kornmuhme (August 3, 2015 1:11 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 3, 2015 12:57 pm  #3

Haven't watched the movie yet but the book was amazing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 3, 2015 5:06 pm  #4

I saw it too, a good movie indeed. I also found it to be a very emotional journey.
Still, I'd definitely recommend it!
The book is also really really good.

"It is what it is."

Board footera