BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2015 4:46 pm  #1

tumblr question

I know some on this board are much more familiar with tumblr than I am so I thought I would seek out some help about something that is puzzling me as of late.

I have never joined tumblr or posted anything on it.  I have read a few tumblr blogs but have never contacted anyone on any site. 

My question is this - whenever I click on one certain person's link to their site, instead of being taken to the link I get only a blank screen with the word "Good Bye" printed out in the left hand corner.  Why is that? 

I know there is probably a simple explanation for it but since I am so totally unfamiliar with Tumblr I can't for the life of me figure out why the link doesn't work and I get that message. 

Anyone out there that can answer this?

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

July 28, 2015 7:09 pm  #2

Re: tumblr question

I have never been to tumblr before I registered there so I am not sure why this happens. Has it always been like that for you or is it a recent development?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 28, 2015 9:37 pm  #3

Hmmm...that's never happened to me before so I'll have to guess what that's about.  Is it when you're already on Tumblr and click on someone's name so that you can see their page, or is it starting from this site, the forum? It's never happened to me, but some websites will show a page letting you know you are leaving their site before loading a link to an external page.

Clueing for looks.

July 28, 2015 11:50 pm  #4

Thank you both for trying to help me.

Perhaps I should explain a bit clearer about the situation.  Please bear with me because I really don't know all the up to date terms concerning this sort of thing so I maybe using the wrong names for certain things. 

When I say that I went to Tumblr all I mean is that I went to someone's site that has the word tumblr in the address. 

Specifically I am talking about the site http://princeprosperoredmask.tumblr.com/ 

While reading a post on this site there was a link to a site http://ummzaksbest.tumblr.com/ and when I clicked on it a quick flash of the site appeared (too quickly for me to read anything) and then it disappeared and on the screen appeared the word "Goodbye." in the upper left hand corner of the screen.  It's never happened to me before (when I clicked on the same link, which I have in the past) and it hasn't ever happened to any of the other links I click on on that site (the one titled http://princeprosperoredmask.tumblr.com/ ) or on any other site for that matter. 

When I put the "ummzaksbest" in google (so I am not on the "princeprosperoredmask" site) the same thing happens.  Never happened in the past but now (I would say this first happened about a week ago) it happens every time.  

I really don't want to go to that horrible site regularly at all (the Ummzaksbest person is a hater of Sophie Hunter) but it did make me curious as to why this was happening.  Like I said, I don't know anything about tumblr (and maybe it doesn't have anything to do with tumblr) and I don't frequent it other than read the occasional site that has tumblr in the addy (is that what is meant by being on tumblr??).

Hope this explains a bit clearer what I have been experiencing.  Any enlightenment into why and wherefor this should be happening would be greatly appreciated.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

July 29, 2015 12:09 am  #5

I've no idea how this could happen. I'll ask around. Sorry I can't be of actual help.
I've always understood "being on Tumblr" as "having a Tumblr blog and using the Tumblr platform regurlarly".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 29, 2015 1:40 pm  #6

Could it be a bug on your PC? Because when I go to ummzaksbest, either by your above link or by googling, I do arrive on the site. I don't know anything about tumblr, and not all that much about computers, but you might want to try deleting your browser history and cookies, and see whether the problem persists. (Of course, when you do delete these things, you'll have to re-type the complete addresses of your websites and log into your forums - depending on how keen you are to go to ummzakbest's website it might or might not be worth it.)

July 29, 2015 2:25 pm  #7

Thanks again for the replies.

Re: Bug in my PC... it happens both on my laptop and my iPad Air.  I don't know much about computers but from what I do know it is unlikely that both a HP laptop (which has just come back from the tech's after being inspected for viruses a couple of days ago) and an Apple iPad are inflected with the same bug that only affects one particular website (nothing is untoward on any other site at all) that I rarely visit. 

But if getting rid of that site's problem involves any work at all it isn't worth it at all to me to do it.  Even if it were an easy fix I probably wouldn't do it.  Like I said I really don't care to go that horrible site (ummzaksbest) again, so my question was not really about being able to access the site but more about just if anyone could explain the why and what of what had happened.  Mere curiosity about the strange "Goodbye" message more than anything else.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions/interest in this puzzle.  I guess I'll just chalk it up as one of life's little mysteries.   

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

July 29, 2015 4:02 pm  #8

Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but if it's only happened on that particular blog, which you don't really want to visit anyway, then I don't think you should worry about it.  If it happens with others that you do want to see, then it might be a problem that you would have to deal with.

Clueing for looks.

July 29, 2015 6:01 pm  #9

I tried it as well, works fine for me. I tried it also while being not logged in. 

It is weird that it is just this one site that doesn't work for you. Therefore I don't think it's a bug or something like that.

Good that it isn't a valuable blog, though. ;)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

July 29, 2015 6:18 pm  #10

I have asked other people, we all did the same : logged in (and not), we connected to the site and it went fine. No idea how that problem could have happened. Still, like Ivy says, it's a good thing that it's not a valuable blog !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera