BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2015 12:59 pm  #21

Re: Something else that doesn't make sense...

but of course

"It is what it is."

July 27, 2015 7:57 pm  #22

I think Sherlock does not give a jot for either praise or criticism from the general public.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 27, 2015 9:34 pm  #23

Davina wrote:

I think Sherlock does not give a jot for either praise or criticism from the general public.

That's absolutely true, because he says himself that he doesn't care about what other people think. Nevertheless it is important for him what the people who he's closely linked to think about him, such as John, Molly, Mrs Hudson, Lestrade (?). He doesn't live in a vacuum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 27, 2015 10:01 pm  #24

I think he mostly cares about what John thinks, and cares about receving praise from him. He doesn't care if Lestrade thinks that he's a child, he doesn't care that Mrs Hudson tells him off about shooting the wall (he actually laughs about it), he doesn't care that Molly shouts at him about doing drugs. It's just John.

July 27, 2015 10:18 pm  #25

These are only marginalia. He doesn't care what John thinks either when it comes to such a knowledge like "the sun is the centre of our solar system". In such cases Sherlock's just Sherlock and he's not interested in John's opinion either. Also remember the "don't turn people into heroes, John"-scene. He doesn't care what John thinks at this very moment. But when it comes to more serious business like hurting someone's feelings (Molly's, John's), Sherlock does care about other people's opinions, at least he doesn't ignore them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 27, 2015 10:50 pm  #26

kornmuhme wrote:

These are only marginalia. He doesn't care what John thinks either when it comes to such a knowledge like "the sun is the centre of our solar system". In such cases Sherlock's just Sherlock and he's not interested in John's opinion either. Also remember the "don't turn people into heroes, John"-scene. He doesn't care what John thinks at this very moment. But when it comes to more serious business like hurting someone's feelings (Molly's, John's), Sherlock does care about other people's opinions, at least he doesn't ignore them.

I think this is a matter of Sherlock's development. At the time of TGG, all you write here is true. He doesn't care. But remember his best man speech a few years later "I will solve your crime, it takes John Watson to save your life.". It seems that Sherlock's view on what matters and what doesn't has changed a lot.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 5, 2016 7:41 pm  #27

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

Irene refers to Sherlock as "the famous detective in the funny hat," and there are references to him being increasingly famous, due to John's blog and some other media.

So how did the Chief Superintendent not know until this episode how involved Sherlock was with their cases?

Same with Molly: Moriarty breaks into the tower, the Pentenville Prison and into the Bank of England. As far as I remember with a picture of himself in the newspaper and Molly didn't notice anything although he was her ex-boyfriend. I think if something like this happened, whole England would notice it.

June 5, 2016 7:45 pm  #28

I think with the chief super, he just thought they were literally consulting with him...no that he was 'hands on,  on the job'.
I don't understand what you mean about ' not noticing Moriarty'.
He went to court.

Last edited by besleybean (June 17, 2016 8:20 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 17, 2016 7:46 pm  #29

I think she means that it is odd that no reference is made to Moriarty and all his misdemeanours. But Sherlock does taunt Molly about her ex-boyfriend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 17, 2016 8:20 pm  #30

Quite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera