BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2015 4:18 am  #21

Re: Reading challenge: Unexpected Tags - ADULT CONTENT

I just stumbled over this thread. Can I still join? What do I have to do?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 17, 2015 7:18 am  #22

Yes, I was wanting to pick this up again. Everybody can join. Post a tag you normally never read for the challenge. If you yourself read any "not normal" tags, you can post those as well, so that you can recommend a fic for that tag to someone else.

I will put your nick and tags on the first post, and the first one who are familiar with fics with tags on the challenge, may post a fic rec.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 17, 2015 7:20 am  #23

Whisky wrote:

Vampires. I also dislike vampire Sherlock!

Is the game still on? ;-)

Yes, it is!

I don't normally like, or read, vampirelock myself. I have read only one, and that was surprisingly good, I think. I am not sure if I want to recommend it, though, as it does include violence and non-con/dub-con and might not be for everyone.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

June 18, 2015 6:53 am  #24

I'm thinking... wouldn't any vampire story, if it sticks to what vampires normally do, include violence? Or is Sherlock "vegetarian" vampire like in Twilight? scnr
Oh, but of course, John would probably offer himself freely as eternal resource for bloodthirsty Sherlock... (just imagine I didn't say that)

"It is what it is."

June 18, 2015 7:17 am  #25

I cannot help but think of Angel and Buffy here. The boys even have matching hair colours. :-p

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 18, 2015 9:08 am  #26

Lol, Schmiezi!

No, the one I read definitly was definitly not Twilight-veggies vampires - thank goodness! 

Team Hudders!

June 18, 2015 9:30 am  #27

Schmiezi wrote:

I cannot help but think of Angel and Buffy here. The boys even have matching hair colours. :-p

lol... indeed!

"It is what it is."

July 5, 2015 2:44 pm  #28

I once wrote that I'd probably rather read a story about a London based detective Sherlock who turns out to be a vampire than about event rider Sherlock (still haven't gotten around to that one), so after finishing with actor Sherlock I did search for Vampire Sherlock. And I found a few good ones:

My favourite of the Vampirelock I read recently is Night Shift by corpsereviver2 (http://archiveofourown.org/works/601348). It's non-angsty case fic about "normal" vampires (a bit like Mick St. John in Moonlight) and the explicit sex is at the very end (when the case is solved), so you don't have to read it if you don't want to. A good story, fun to read.

Antietamfalls's Bleed me Out (http://archiveofourown.org/works/696571/chapters/1281746) is a much longer gripping story full of angst with an incredibly sad epilogue.

And then, branching out into "Alternate Universe - Fantasy",  "Alternate Universe - Supernatural Elements" and "Mythical Beings & Creatures" I have discovered GoldenUsagi's Genius of the Bottle (http://archiveofourown.org/works/1718333) which is one of the nicest John/Sherlock love stories I've read so far (no sex).

GoldenUsagi's Most Ghosts Are Idiots (http://archiveofourown.org/works/367174) has slightly different tags (Alternate Reality, Supernatural Elements) but it's also a wonderful story. GoldenUsagi's mythical creature-Sherlock are incredibly lifelike - very close to BBC Sherlock - which is why I'm now off to read the story about merman Sherlock (“Ugh, drowning. Drowning’s boring.”) (http://archiveofourown.org/works/1163426)

July 5, 2015 3:29 pm  #29

Thanks for the tips, but I don't want this thread to just be about posting various fic recs, we have a thread of it's own for that. This thread is for someone to give one tag they don't like (one tag at a time), and then someone give them one fic rec to read. They read it, and return here with their opinion of the story and the tag.

Was my idea anyway. But not sure if this is able to get anywhere as we don't seem to have enough people to rec the tags people aren't usually reading.

Team Hudders!

July 5, 2015 4:52 pm  #30

Sorry, I misunderstood. You want me to delete everything after my first Vampire Sherlock recommendation?

July 5, 2015 4:57 pm  #31

No, that shouldn't be necessary. But do you want to go on the list on the first post?

Team Hudders!

July 5, 2015 7:08 pm  #32

Not sure - what would that entail? Whereas I'm happy enough to share my finds, and not in principle opposed to reading stories with tags I wouldn't normally consider (as you can see from the magical creatures mentioned above), I couldn't promise to finish a story just because somebody recommended it. In fact I have clicked away quite a few stories that were highly recommended on this forum after reading a few paragraphs or a few pages...

July 5, 2015 7:19 pm  #33

You don't have to join the challenge. But if you want, I can put you up as a rec for some tags others have mentioned, like vampirefics.

Team Hudders!

July 6, 2015 3:58 pm  #34

As I recommended two Vampirelock fics that might make sense?

July 6, 2015 6:20 pm  #35

Yup, that's why I mentioned it. Done!

Team Hudders!

July 7, 2015 2:08 am  #36

Alrighty!
So, I've remembered that thread and thought I'd better get a move on, here.
As far as my recs go (one for two different tags, is that okay?), that's all I have
* Parentlock
I quite liked Nature and Nurture, by earlgreyted68. The fic can be found here http://archiveofourown.org/works/729134/chapters/1354275
* A/B/O
For those of you who would want to try an excellent A/B/O fic, I can only rec Beautifulfiction's The Guilded Cage, which can be found here http://archiveofourown.org/works/1103555/chapters/2219986

As for Slavery, I've read just last night a chapter on it. Give it a go, it's A Slave's Care, by Tammany, and you can find it here : http://archiveofourown.org/works/4260432/chapters/9643656

And one tag I've never searched...any AU that has to do with sports (except ballet. I've done it and it's wonderful)? I challenge any of you to find a Sherlock AU that has to do with sports.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 7, 2015 8:48 am  #37

You're on the list, Lilythiell!

Recs are coming in, which I guess is good to get this thread moving.

Ok, so anyone up for the challenge based on the recs that have come in? Lemme know and I'll update the front page.

Team Hudders!

July 7, 2015 9:02 am  #38

Pretty sure I've already read Bleed Me Out, so I won't read it again -well, I will, but not for this challenge
Instead, I'll dive in with "Drowning's boring", seeing as I don't think I'll necessarily like Merlock.
I'll let you know, then

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 7, 2015 9:05 am  #39

This is sort of going the other way around then I had planned, but good it's going anywhere. I'll write it up.

Team Hudders!

July 7, 2015 10:45 am  #40

Well. I wasn't convinced until ...what, three quarters of the story? Time to get used to it, I suppose.
The characters are spot on, indeed. I particularly liked the ending.
However, I don't think I'll pursue too much in that line of reading. Once in a while, I suppose...For now, I think I'll stick to angsty fix-its.

Board footera