BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2014 11:05 am  #1

Penny Dreadful

This has just started here (UK) and I'm not sure when/if those of you in other countries will get it. It scared me. Horror. There is a stella cast with wonderful acting (e.g. Eva Green, Simon Russell-Beale, Timothy Dalton, Billie Piper etc. wonderful cinematography, effects, costuming, music BUT it is not for the faint-hearted also contains swearing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 31, 2014 11:51 am  #2

Re: Penny Dreadful

I saw it on Billie's Facebook.
Which channel is it on? Is there a catch up online?

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

October 30, 2014 7:23 am  #3

If you haven't managed to watch this series, I really do recommend it. It is, frankly, the dream work of anyone who has a literary bent. It is quite sexy, violent and disturbing in content but any show that has such a great cast and contains such fantastic characters as Victor Frankenstein (with his 'creatures), Van Helsing, Dorian Grey is going to be great- and this is. It has received very positive reviews and I absolutely loved it. On Sky it is available as a box set.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 9, 2015 10:22 am  #4

I saw my first episode yesterday. The first one of the second series. I have yet to watch the first series.
I started to watch it, because I recently "discovered" Rory Kinnear, who's is so good in it and overall a briliant actor. I'd like to see him on stage.

Like Hannibal it is a show that I wouldn't have started watching if it weren't for a specific actor. Because I'm easily scared I try to avoid that kind of shows. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 9, 2015 2:51 pm  #5

Watch the first series as soon as you can!  The characters are pretty complicated and it's good to follow them the beginning. It's only 8 episodes!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 15, 2015 11:43 am  #6

Yes, definitely need to watch series one, otherwise so much is missing in their development. Love this series! 

May 18, 2015 5:09 pm  #7

Yes I already watched series one. I must say I really watch it for Rory, that's my favourite storyline. And he plays it so well. 
Therefore yesterdays episode was a bit disappointing for me. Well played though, but that Vanessa storyline isn't my cup of tea. (I never really got over "The Exorcist".)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

June 22, 2015 11:09 am  #8

Anyone else watching? This is so very good. Helen McCrory is the bees knees!

Board footera