BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2015 3:15 pm  #21

Re: BBC "Sherlock" Fanfiction for Canon Addicts

Hudlock? Anderlock? Holmescest? Is there anything off limits in this fandom? 

Sorry, back to topic. I cannot remember a fic concentrating on Molly/Lestrade but I read many in which they are or become a couple or are married with children. Works quite well. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 16, 2015 3:17 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 16, 2015 4:24 pm  #22

Isn't Lestrade quite officially (i. e. according to Rupert Graves) in love with Molly? Or would at least like to be?

As for  John and Mary I would expect that were happy enough together for several months - until approx. one month after the wedding. And I wish them that they sort out their difficulties and have a few more happy months, or preferably years, until Mary dies (which is unfortunately ACD canon, and when ACD canon coincides with fans' wishes, Moftiss won't write the opposite). In any case, I'd love to read some well-written stories to that effect! (The living together for a while part, not the dying - I've already had too much of that).

Now, could we move away from normal and bizarre pairings and go back to fanfic collections (that's the true topic of this thread, not canon-compliance)- are there any other Sherlock collections on AO3 and how does one find them?

By the way, are there other archives apart from fanfiction.net and archiveofourown.org? Or any writers who put stories up on their own websites? Any Review sites for Sherlock stories?

June 16, 2015 8:45 pm  #23

There is a wonderful collection of Kathy Forsythe's work but somehow I doubt that you are looking for that kind of stories. Yet, her writing is so wonderful that I'll try to include a link. (Not easily done from my Smartphone, let me see if it works

http://liquidfic.org/katie.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 16, 2015 9:18 pm  #24

Oh, I love this collection. She is such a brilliant writer, aka Wordstrings. 

Kittyhawk: There are fics on LiveJournal as well but I have no experience with it and find it quite confusing. I think AO3 is the most comprehensive and best organised fanfic site. I do not like ffnet because it has no download function which is a bad joke IMO. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 16, 2015 9:20 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 17, 2015 4:15 am  #25

ffnet also limits the writers.You can give a fic only two tags, for example.

Kittyhawk, you can kind of search for collections on AO3: There is a "tag search"where you can search for the tag "collection". It gives you a long list of collections but I don't know if you will find ALL of them.

Last edited by Schmiezi (June 17, 2015 4:15 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 17, 2015 12:57 pm  #26

Schmiezi wrote:

There is a wonderful collection of Kathy Forsythe's work but somehow I doubt that you are looking for that kind of stories. Yet, her writing is so wonderful that I'll try to include a link. (Not easily done from my Smartphone, let me see if it works

http://liquidfic.org/katie.html

Thank you! That's the kind of page I was looking for, only it's the wrong Sherlock (For the record: I have nothing against well-written slash. Unfortunately it's rare...)

June 17, 2015 12:59 pm  #27

Do you think so? Strangely enough, IMO almost all the best liked and best written fics on AO3 are Johnlock. 

June 17, 2015 1:33 pm  #28

Apparantly I don't share the majority's taste. There's a few stories in the top-ten list (AO3 complete Sherlock sorted by kudos) that don't tempt me at all. And there's stories I think absolutely wonderful that have very few kudos or commentaries (quite apart from the fact that the numbers heavily depend on the lenght of time the story has been on the archive - the fandom's best story won't rank high if it has been published yesterday).

If you want the whole story: That the slash be well-written is only one requirement - I also want an interesting story (much more than 'how they get into bed together and what they do to each other once there' - emmagrant01 is the only one who can pull that off, and I'd really like to know how she does it. Normally I should hate "A Cure for Boredom" but I don't. It's a mystery, just like my reaction to "Nature and Nurture".) I probably should have written: I have nothing against well-written slash. Unfortunately storys that really interest me in that genre are rare.. (but if I change it now your comment won't make any sense...)

June 17, 2015 1:37 pm  #29

I did not want to imply that I am just interested in the slash being well-written, far from that. That is why I like prettyvk so much. Her writing comes very close to perfect in every sense IMO and the same goes for ivyblossom and wordstrings/Katie Forsythe. 

June 17, 2015 7:48 pm  #30

Oh, Kittyhawk, thank you for introducing me to the world in general as an Andercroft shipper.

In case anyone is still wondering, the "Murder at the Ashram" series is complete and utter crack (and not Andercroft at all, by the way - Boton and I were just having fun trying to be exclusive in a fandom with over 70.000 stories).

But the definition of what we allow in the Canon Addicts collection is and has always been well-written canon-compliant stories and well-written humour/parody/crack. We were never going to pass by all the good stuff by people like CaffieneKitty and awanderingbard...

But the real purpose of the collection is definitely to collect stuff that reads like it could be part of the actual show. Missing moments, backstory, possible future developments, cases that John never told us about in his blog... that sort of thing.

We're still growing, by the way! We're only at a measly 150 works so far. There have to be more good ones out there! So, everyone, by all means send us your own fics if you think they fit in, or post recommendations, in the form of a collection bookmark on AO3 or right in here. I'll be watching this thread, in case you have any.

Last edited by La Jolie (June 17, 2015 7:52 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

June 18, 2015 11:08 am  #31

La Jolie wrote:

Oh, Kittyhawk, thank you for introducing me to the world in general as an Andercroft shipper.

Are you serious (as the smiley seems to imply)? Then I think you've mixed me up with somebody else - I only presented the collection in general and didn't mention your story at all...

June 18, 2015 2:34 pm  #32

Oh no! You're right, ukaunz was the culprit, not you. How embarrassing. I apologise most profusely.

Seems EVERYTHING ANYONE tries to say in the this thread always goes wrong, or is misunderstood, or misinterpreted. I'm seriously considering asking the mods to delete it altogether so we can start again all over.

June 18, 2015 6:44 pm  #33

Fine with me, I've just saved my opening post and re-post it anytime, anywhere. And the apology is of course accepted...

June 18, 2015 6:57 pm  #34

Alright - mods? As it is, this thread really is of no use to anyone.

Last edited by La Jolie (June 18, 2015 6:58 pm)

June 18, 2015 7:13 pm  #35

Mod's note:
Deleting a whole topic is usually the last resort and only done in cases of adverts, spambots, or otherwise inacceptable subjects and posts. This is not the case in my opinion. Apologies have been made and accepted. Therefore so far I see no reason to delete the thread

Last edited by SusiGo (June 18, 2015 7:23 pm)

June 18, 2015 7:47 pm  #36

Fine with me, Susi. I wasn't thinking in categories of unacceptable or offensive content or anything, just of tidying up the forum a bit, as in "does anyone really need this thread". But you do what's in accordance with the official forum policies, of course, and never mind me.

June 18, 2015 9:21 pm  #37

Sorry La Jolie, if I've offended or embarrassed you somehow. I thought it was pretty clear in my post that I enjoyed the Murder at the Ashram stories but maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the Andercroft thing?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 19, 2015 6:29 pm  #38

No, it's not a problem really, don't worry. I'm glad to hear you liked the stories, that's what matters. It just made the thread go wildly off topic, because Kittyhawk started this thread to blow the trumpet for us Canon Addicts, and of course anything labelled Andercroft isn't the best material to convince anyone of the importance and the benefits of canon compliant fan fiction. But never mind.

June 20, 2015 9:30 am  #39

I guess everyone's after something different when they choose which fics to read, but I liked the humour in the Ashram stories and the Andercroft tag didn't put me off, as it was clearly G-rated and also tagged crack. I felt that it was still in the believable bounds of the show canon.

I just finished reading The Hazards of Living with a Genius series of "missing scenes", really good stuff. I really liked the character of Sarah, and it was nice to read something from her POV while still remaining canon compliant (I've read a few fics that have her in a sexual relationship with one or more characters, but I'm in a different phase of my fic-reading at the moment!).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera