BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2014 10:08 pm  #1

Instrumental by James Rhodes

This looks fascinating!  
Sad to see the words "This item cannot be delivered to the United States" but I have a friend in London that should be willing to help me out!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Instrumental-James-Rhodes/dp/1782113371/ref=pd_sim_b_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J9WMKAT5CRWV58YWPK2

Last edited by tonnaree (September 13, 2014 10:09 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 14, 2014 5:25 pm  #2

Re: Instrumental by James Rhodes

Thanks for sharing tonnaree, it really looks interesting! My books-to-read-list keeps on growing thanks to Benedict and this forum..^^

June 3, 2015 8:35 am  #3

Anyone who's reading it?

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=221533#p221533

Last edited by Mattlocked (June 3, 2015 8:35 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 3, 2015 11:28 am  #4

Not yet but I will start soon. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 3, 2015 12:07 pm  #5

So I will post my first short "review" in here, too, where it belongs:

I like his way of writing, but he is brutally honest and uses also brutal words and descriptions. Which I also like, as it is no "bla bla". Sometimes I had to cry, sometimes I couldn't sleep.
But he also often writes in a quite humorous way, what kind of propitiates again.
So far it touches me deeply and I have to think a lot.... I have to force myself to think of something else sometimes.
I can't read more than one chapter at a time, so I'm not through, yet.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 11, 2015 2:51 pm  #6

I just finished the book and I am very, very impressed. I laughed and cried while reading it, I got angry and shocked but for me the overall message is hope. Because in spite of all the terrible and brutal things, the fear and the suffering there is so much love and passion and enthusiasm which are simply infectious. I really love his way of talking about music and the music industry, the complete disrespect for everything deemed sacred, his contempt for any arrogant and elitist tendencies in the world of classical music. I am sure others will follow his example and make this sort of music love by and accessible to new audiences. I wish him all the best for his own label. I would love to hear more of musicians like him. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 9, 2016 11:01 pm  #7

Monumental, BBC Films team on James Rhodes biopic
Alison Owen and Debra Hayward’s Monumental to produce feature based on pianist’s memoir.
http://m.screendaily.com/5101263.article

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 10, 2016 6:45 am  #8

I have missed this thread:
I had the joy of going to hear James speak about the book, at the Edinburgh book festival last Summer.
He delivered a wonderful talk
I met him afterwards and shared some really personal stuff with him(well some of you know, about my daughter) and he was absolutely delightful.
What a lovely man and he was so sweet with me.
I have since read the book.
Though quite harrowing(obviously), it's painfully honest and beautiful.
It sits by me and I smile every time I look at it: the celeb I feel I genuinely made a real connection with.
Such a talent, too.
I look forward to seeing more of him on TV.

Last edited by besleybean (March 10, 2016 6:46 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 10, 2016 8:12 am  #9

Thank you for sharing your experience. It must have been wonderful to meet him in person and I am still waiting for him to come to Germany for a concert. I love his way of talking about the music he plays and how he manages to show that the composers are not some long-dead giants but were people just like us (only a bit more talented). 

March 10, 2016 4:31 pm  #10

Yes, I think he and Benedict are the two people I love hearing talking about their work the most.
They are both so intelligent and inspiring.
On a personal note: James has the most amazing eyes, when he speaks to you, it's like you are the only person in the world who matters!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 10, 2016 5:47 pm  #11

Susi, he is in Germany right now. Two concerts in Köln tomorrow and on Saturday.
http://www.jamesrhodes.tv/

Board footera