BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2012 11:30 am  #1

Sherlock Related Books

Thought I'd start a thread for any non-Canon books that are related to or directly about Sherlock Holmes or even just books that Sherlock himself might be interested in (like chemistry and codebreaking etc). I just ordered a load off Amazon. Here are a couple to get you going:

1. Puzzles of Deduction by Tom Bullimore
- This is basically a 118 different puzzles & problems all using Sherlock as examples. Most of them are quite mathematical but there's some logic and lateral thinking type stuff too, and a couple of codes. I'm finding it quite a challenge to be honest...Actually, I think I'll start a new topic and start posting some of the puzzles from the book for you to all have a go at!

2. Evidence Based Medicine In Sherlock Holmes' Footsteps by Jorgen Nordenstrom
- This is a medical book which gives examples of different cases from the canon, shows you how Holmes reached his conclusions, and how you can apply the same methods for diagnosing patients in medicine. It's designed basically for medical students but it's pretty interesting none the less.

There's also a new SH puzzle book coming out soon from Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/pocket-posh-sherlock-holmes-the-puzzle-society/1105148714

If you guys know of any more...please post them here. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 31, 2012 7:13 am  #2

Re: Sherlock Related Books

Basil of Baker Street---A series of books written by Eve Titus about a mouse named Basil and his friend Dr Dawson, who lived on Baker Street right under 221B.  They solved crimes just as Holmes and Watson did.  She did have the approval of ACD when she was writing these stories.  She sent him a copy,  and he had a great chuckle over it.  I've read two of them, and they are very cute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 31, 2012 7:46 am  #3

Are these stories what Basil the Great Mouse Detective is based on?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 31, 2012 7:49 am  #4

Yes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 1, 2012 4:34 am  #5

I  have the movie,   made in 1986.   It's adorable,  and I'm an adult  but I love it anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 4, 2012 2:48 am  #6

Murder in Baker Street, Eds. Greenberg, Lellenberg, Stashower

Some really good new stories (pastiches) by some of the best current Sherlockian writers, including Peter Tremayne and Edward Hoch, among others.

New Sherlock Holmes Adventures, Ed. Mike Ashley

Another (mostly) good collection with a couple dozen new stories.

The Singular Adventures of Mr. Sherlock Holmes by Alan Stockwell

Awful; avoid at all costs. New stories, but devoid of the genius of Conan Doyle.

The Bedside Companion To Sherlock Holmes by Riley and McAllister

An enjoyable little book of Sherlock facts, trivia, etc., with summaries and related comments on each of the stories.

Sherlock's Logic by William Neblett

A text of sorts, on logic, told as a narrative of Sherlock Holmes III, and his friend, Dr. Watkins. Not bad. Fairly light reading, but enjoyable.

And, as I've mentioned elsewhere...

The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes by Leslie S Klinger

Simply the best. All 60 stories, with 1000s of annotations, illustrations, photographs, etc. Three fat volumes that look nice in your library or on your coffee table. Dr. Klinger is the living authority on Sherlock Holmes, and no Sherlockian should be without this set. (In my not-so-humble-but-sincerely-intended opinion.)

Last edited by Tantalus (June 4, 2012 2:49 am)

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

August 24, 2012 11:27 am  #7

I am reading The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz at the moment which I have mentioned in another thread. I haven't finished it yet but it is excellently written. He certainly has an excellent ear for the original stories. Will let you know what I think once I have finished reading it.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 27, 2012 12:15 pm  #8

Have also posted in the Other Adaptations section of the board. This is an excellent story, brilliantly plotted and written. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Last edited by Davina (August 27, 2012 12:16 pm)

September 18, 2012 11:22 am  #9

Included within the Sherlock Holmes Society of London Newsletter, the link for which I posted in the It's Canon thread, is the following information.

www.mcfarlandbooks.com

These academic publishers have published the following:
Two volumes of essays entitled 'Sherlock' and Transmedia Fandom: Essays on the BBC Series ed. Louisa Ellen Stein and Kristina Busse. Cost: $40.00
'Sherlock Holmes for the 21st Century: Essays on New Adaptations' ed.Lynette Porter. Cost $40.00 which also includes references to BBC Sherlock

Last edited by Davina (September 18, 2012 11:23 am)

May 17, 2015 10:02 am  #10

I'm just reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Elementary-Sherlock-Holmes-Literatures/dp/1909396990 (The elementary Sherlock Holmes)
which, as the reviews already say, is nothing new for Sherlock Holmes Fans, but it's made up very nice and has lots of basic information for new fans: I think it's a good book to feed some basic knowledge to friends who just entered the Sherlock Holmes world, so I recommend it. I can think already of a few people I could give it to. It's kept so light with content that it doesn't flood a merely curious reader with fan-ish details, but still holds some useful information.

It has for example short summaries of the original stories, an overview over film and stage adaptions, some overview for dates in the stories, a short biography of Sherlock and John, some quotes, etc.

Hope this is the thread for stuff like this.

Last edited by Whisky (May 17, 2015 10:06 am)

"It is what it is."

May 21, 2016 4:51 pm  #11

This book seems intriguing and it has an interesting premise."My dear Watson" by M. P. Bridges.

http://mxpublishing.tumblr.com/post/144289492163/my-dear-watson-is-a-very-unusual-book-for-two

It seem bizarre that it was published in Japanese first and only later they dared to publish it in English. It is also interesting that book is called "My dear Watson" in English, but "Waga aishiteru no Watson" (My beloved Watson) in Japanese...

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 21, 2016 4:53 pm  #12

Looks good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 21, 2016 8:13 pm  #13

Interesting.
Regarding the translation, is the Japanese version of the title, is it different from the Japanese translation of that phrase from the original stories?

Also, seeing this topic reminded me of how I saw a copy of His Last Bow at the book store today with Sherlock and John from the show, our century, on the cover.

Clueing for looks.

May 22, 2016 7:19 am  #14

So is that one of the ones with an introduction by one of the team?
I have the full set.
But I honestly can't remember which volumes they are, I only bought them for the covers and said intros.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 22, 2016 1:59 pm  #15

I don't know, I only saw the cover and title in passing. I was with my mum and we were looking for something else. But if it had Ben and Martin on the cover then it likes did have the introduction.

Clueing for looks.

August 5, 2016 8:39 am  #16

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 5, 2016 9:28 am  #17

Ooh.

August 24, 2016 9:33 am  #18

Wonderful TAB-based, very Johnlocky fan-made-comics (doujinshi) exist. And it looks marvellous:

http://johnlocklives.tumblr.com/post/149331697623/nana-41175-nana-41175-sherlock-doujin-66

November 21, 2016 11:38 am  #19

I found a book in the children's section of the library today called "The Great Shelby Holmes" by Elizabeth Eulberg. Here's what the blurb says:

Shelby Holmes is not your average sixth grader. She’s nine years old, barely four feet tall, and the best detective her Harlem neighborhood has ever seen—always using logic and a bit of pluck (which yes, some might call “bossiness”) to solve the toughest crimes.

When eleven-year-old John Watson moves downstairs, Shelby finds something that’s eluded her up till now: a friend. Easy-going John isn’t sure of what to make of Shelby, but he soon finds himself her most-trusted (read: only) partner in a dog-napping case that'll take both their talents to crack.

The Watson family move into an apartment at 221 Baker Street, the landlady is Mrs Hudson, and Shelby, who lives in apartment B, has a pet English bulldog called "Sir Arthur" and likes to blow things up. In the first paragraph, narrator John (whose mum is an army doctor who was recently posted in Afghanistan) says "nothing exciting had ever happened to me." Sounds cute, huh? I'm hoping my daughter will let me read it to her

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 21, 2016 3:51 pm  #20

That sounds like a fun book!

Clueing for looks.

Board footera