BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2015 2:47 pm  #301

Re: Baby Watson (spoilers!)

(I guess what I meant by change of tone is maybe change of focus, or genre? I guess not too much like a sitcom?)
Well,I don't know whether it would be pointless to introduce the baby if that's the case, but I think it would create more tension between John's desire for adventure and his desire to have a normal family.  I don't think he's going to have a normal life, though, nor do I think he truly wants one.  He might be in denial of that, even though he's already been confronted with that by Sherlock and others.
Or maybe, whoever the villain is going to be is going to use the baby to manipulate John.  That would be a way of introducing the baby without the baby being completely ignored afterwards.

Last edited by Yitzock (May 11, 2015 2:47 pm)

Clueing for looks.

May 11, 2015 2:51 pm  #302

Yes, that is a thought that has to occur, the baby gets used to put some pressure on John. But on the other hand, I don't know. HLV revolved around Mary, another episode around a Watson family member? Hm... 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 11, 2015 2:54 pm  #303

Well, maybe not necessarily the entire episode, but at some point in one of them.  But honestly that would be awful and while I feel that that could be coming,I would feel horrible for John if that were to happen.  He really gets put through the mill.

Clueing for looks.

May 11, 2015 2:54 pm  #304

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit." (Steven Moffat at Sherlocked con)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 11, 2015 3:02 pm  #305

Well, I feel that family would get drawn into their orbit, wouldn't it? 
If the baby is used to manipulate John, maybe it would also mean that Sherlock has to make a decision and sacrifice something else (a better plan, another person,...part of himself?) in order to save the baby and solve the case so that John is not hurt.
God, I feel like this topic is getting into dark territory.  My apologies.

Clueing for looks.

May 11, 2015 3:02 pm  #306

This doesn't fail to warm my heart. Thank you, Susi

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 11, 2015 3:05 pm  #307

Yitzock wrote:

Well, I feel that family would get drawn into their orbit, wouldn't it? 
If the baby is used to manipulate John, maybe it would also mean that Sherlock has to make a decision and sacrifice something else (a better plan, another person,...part of himself?) in order to save the baby and solve the case so that John is not hurt.
God, I feel like this topic is getting into dark territory.  My apologies.

Don't apologize! I appreciate it very much if the people around here express their ideas and opinions for discussions and don't retreat at once as soon as there's a bit of counter arguments.

May 11, 2015 3:12 pm  #308

OK.  I was just apologizing for the dark turn I was taking.  I didn't want to make anybody sad, but since series 4 is supposed to be tougher, I feel like something like what I just described could happen.

Last edited by Yitzock (May 11, 2015 3:13 pm)

Clueing for looks.

May 11, 2015 3:22 pm  #309

Do not worry, there is room for all sorts of thoughts in here.
They said it was going to be dark which to me means that we will not get the Watson family/uncle Sherlock idyll some people anticipate and others dread. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 11, 2015 3:29 pm  #310

Yeah.  Or worse, we will get one or two scenes of happiness and then it will all go to hell.  
I had not really thought about Sherlock as an uncle.  What if they make him the godfather? Would John dare to imagine putting his child in the care of Sherlock? He did say Sherlock was his best friend, and made him Best Man.  I wonder how Sherlock would act around the baby.  Now I want to see that.

Last edited by Yitzock (May 11, 2015 3:30 pm)

Clueing for looks.

May 11, 2015 3:33 pm  #311

I don't. Seriously, not at all.

May 11, 2015 3:33 pm  #312

Been thinking since the con , that before S04 starts , we will probably get some Johnwatsons blog posts. With the baby so close to being born...maybe they will get that done there ... and by the time S04 starts..Mary@baby are.. in the background storyline  a bit for a while..culminating in the finale exit / things to talk about between S04@5.

May 11, 2015 3:40 pm  #313

Well, I mean, I think it could be sweet, potentially.  Or really awkward or funny.  But I can understand why not everyone would want to see that.  But I like seeing how Sherlock acts in different situations, even if it's not a long scene.

I had forgotten about the blog and how it could have stuff we don't see very much of in the series, or add onto it.  I feel like the blog will likely be where he talks about the stress as the baby is closer to arriving, maybe talking about the things that he and Mary have to deal with that they didn't before.

Clueing for looks.

May 11, 2015 3:43 pm  #314

We might get some extra information on John's blog, but they wouldn't include anything major because not everyone reads the blog.

I have to admit I like the meta who suggests we will never even actually see the baby.  My personal hope is that taking the baby out of the story will be done in such a way that it will not totally devestate John.  As I have said many times I want S4 to be about John and Sherlock united against a common enemy.  About them totally forgiving each other and moving forward from there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 9, 2015 9:58 am  #315

Unrelated to the previous discussion, but in lieu of what Steven just said regarding Mary
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nKnvbrV4g

could that mean that Baby Watson's gonna die and Mary leave John?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 9, 2015 2:49 pm  #316

I didn't read into his comments anything about Mary leaving John.  I think it might be speculated that the baby might not make it but he seemed to be making it plain to me that Mary is more likely to be around.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

July 11, 2015 7:46 pm  #317

Ah-chie wrote:

I didn't read into his comments anything about Mary leaving John. I think it might be speculated that the baby might not make it but he seemed to be making it plain to me that Mary is more likely to be around.

-Val

I think the suprise might end up being that Mary and Baby are around-- for at least another season, if not permanently. It's not what I'd like-- but, I think that might be the direction they're headed in. Everybody expects them to get rid of Mary and the Baby, so why would they do it? 

July 11, 2015 7:59 pm  #318

Because this is the Sherlock and John show? 

July 11, 2015 8:46 pm  #319

SusiGo wrote:

Because this is the Sherlock and John show? 

Actually, technically-- the show is called, "Sherlock". So, even though the show often is more about John and his reaction to Sherlock, with last season-- we started seeing the show through Sherlock's eyes, meaning it could go either way...

Pining Sherlock,  Bored-out-of-his-mind-sleep-dep-John and Mary, squalling Baby Watson. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 11, 2015 9:03 pm  #320

I was quoting Moffat. So there is hope. 

Board footera