BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2014 6:16 am  #1

Museum of London Exhibition

Oh, you lucky people on that side of the pond!  This looks wonderful:

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/london-wall/whats-on/exhibitions-displays/sherlock-holmes

Sherlock Holmes: The Man Who Never Lived And Will Never Die.  Now on display until April.  Not only tons of Doyle stuff, but set up to be like Victorian London as well. 
"Going beyond film and fiction, visitors to the museum will be transported to the real Victorian London – the backdrop for many of Conan Doyle’s stories. Through early film, photography, paintings and original artefacts, the exhibition will recreate the atmosphere of Sherlock’s London, with visitors able to envisage the places that the detective visited and imagine they are standing on the pavement of the Strand watching the horse drawn traffic pass by."
High praise already from Sue and Mark who got to go!

(edit - wow!  talk about a great museum with setting up various related events, too:  http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/london-wall/whats-on/adult-events/talks-and-workshops/   Including a talk by author Anthony Horowitz ('House of Silk', and newly released 'Moriarty') and various tours.

Last edited by Russell (October 17, 2014 6:25 am)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 17, 2014 8:56 am  #2

Re: Museum of London Exhibition

Wow, definitely something I must see before it closes down.
Good thing to include into my trip.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 17, 2014 11:19 am  #3

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

October 29, 2014 9:20 pm  #4

This looks fabulous! Fortunately I planned a trip to London in late November anyway, so I will definitely use the opportunity to see this exhibition (and hopefully also be able to attend a screening of The Imitation Game which should still be on two weeks after its release in the UK).

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

November 7, 2014 5:39 am  #5

Another cool little thing for those planning to go!  The Museum (which will probably have big signs up or something anyway), is also the site for another neat cross-over exhibit.  London has a 'Paddington Trail' going on, to celebrate the favorite childhood bear, and its new movie, coming out soon.  About 50 different big Paddington Bear statues in favorite city spots, all designed by different artists with quite a few celebrities.  Including.. dun dun… a Sherlock one designed by Benedict, and placed, quite obviously, at the Museum of London to match their other exhibit.  See it here:  http://www.visitlondon.com/paddington/bear/39603032-sherlock-bear
For fellow fans of a certain other BBC show, Peter Capaldi and John Hurt have bears, too!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 23, 2014 9:43 am  #6

Two things I learned from the SH Exhibition:

- Benedict's coat hasn't just the one red button hole at the top – ALL of the holes are red stitched.

Turner's original painting of the Reichenbach Falls clearly shows a fire exit in the rocks – which leads me to new theories about of how SH was able to disappear from the site...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 23, 2014 10:28 am  #7

Tee Hee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 23, 2014 10:30 am  #8

Wow, tobe, and just look how realistically Turner was able to depict the fire exit in his painting...! A true master!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 23, 2014 12:23 pm  #9

Terrific, tobe!  Your new evidence should give literature researchers something to ponder about! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 23, 2014 11:42 pm  #10

tobeornot221b wrote:

Turner's original painting of the Reichenbach Falls clearly shows a fire exit in the rocks – which leads me to new theories about of how SH was able to disappear from the site...

Well, I'll be damned! How could everyone have missed that all these years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 24, 2014 8:55 pm  #11

Turner was well ahead of his time. 

November 24, 2014 9:16 pm  #12

He most certainly was.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 25, 2014 8:00 am  #13

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 9, 2015 9:37 pm  #14

Since I'm going to spend a few days in London in the second half of January I decided to visit the exhibition again and just booked a ticket for this event:

Who’s the best Holmes? Plus exhibition entry

Duration: 3 hours Minimum age: 18 Ticketed event: Advanced booking required Fee Payable: £ 23.00 Adult Event Location: Museum of LondonDescriptionCumberbatch, Brett, Cushing or Rathbone? Many actors have taken on the iconic role on stage and screen, but who did it best? Join in the debate and hear three Sherlock experts state their case – you might leave with a new favourite! Plus visit the exhibition after hours for the final hour of the event.

Dates & TimesFriday, January 23, 2015,19:30-22:30

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/london-wall/whats-on/events-calendar/event-details/?eventID=7134

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

February 27, 2015 3:04 am  #15

I've been to London for New Year and stayed a couple of days...but was unable to visit the exhibition...do you think it is possible that they run it just a bit longer? Say, after Sherlocked con, for example...?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 11, 2015 10:04 am  #16

To remember this exhibition... Or wish we'd been there!

http://www.bakerstreetjournal.com/london.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera