BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2014 9:44 am  #1

Do anyone of you write songs?

Does anyone here write songs or make music? If yes, what kind? Do you want to share it with us?

I've written a few songs myself actually, most of them when I was around 14-15. I had, in my opinion back then, problems which I could cope easier with if I wrote them down and added some music. Unfortunately most of my songs are pretty lame and cheesy, and the few ones I actually like are in Swedish. Otherwise I'd love to share them with you

Last edited by batchlock (May 5, 2014 12:48 pm)

May 5, 2014 8:07 am  #2

Re: Do anyone of you write songs?

DramaGod writes songs and performs music but he hasn't been around on here for quite a while now. He might reappear though...he does that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 5, 2014 8:15 am  #3

Had a swedish boyfriend for a while, so I got to know some swedish lovesongs back then.... 

I don't "do" music, but I love listening to it. Hubby writes songs and plays the keyboard and the e-guitar. At the moment he takes part in two bands and enjoys it very much. He also sings although he is not that good at it. 
I started to learn playing the guitar, but I wasn't patient enough, so one day I went back to "my" arts. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 5, 2014 12:02 pm  #4

I try, but I'm playing guitar and piano only as hobby and I'm just not good enough at it. I'm trying to improve, but I lack the patience (hello Mattlocked^^). So it's all simple and rather boring stuff and I'm generally frustrated about it, so nothing to share, sorry ;)

"It is what it is."

May 5, 2014 12:43 pm  #5

Aha, okay. Once you do anything you are proud of you can share it with us, right Whisky? ;)

This autumn I'm actually gonna start in a class were I'll learn how to write music. It's gonna be fun, I hope I'll be better at it

May 6, 2014 12:36 pm  #6

I don't write songs with lyrics but I do produce scores. I score all my own original fiction & prior to that I used to score fanfiction (that was where all the music production started). My melodies are very short usually under 2 mins. Most of them do not have bass/chords so is mainly just the melody on piano.

And I'd like to add that I can't actually read music (on the staff) but I can instinctively play what I hear on the piano. I can also play what I want to hear & that's where all the scoring comes in; but I started with playing what I hear on films & TV. I'm faster at reproducing instrumental tracks but I can also reproduce the musical backing to songs that originally had lyrics.

Here is an example of one of my covers (playing by ear)

May 6, 2014 9:22 pm  #7

The own songs sounds really cool!

I do pretty much the same. I suck at playing by notes, but when it comes to playing by ear I'm better. As you mentioned, I mostly play what I hear on tv. I really love to play the music to, for example, Twilight, Pirates of The Carribean, Harry Potter and even Sherlock. It's fun to have something to go on but at the same time improvise.

That's a good one saturnR!

June 10, 2014 3:20 pm  #8

Not my own song, but here are one of my covers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yn6q5lQ-go

January 4, 2015 5:26 pm  #9

This autumn I've written a many songs actually, but I've only posted a few. Here they are  (yes, they are cheesy love songs written by someone who've never been in a relationship aka me )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2lDw6Dd_F8&list=PL-fTfVG1oxI8etYqyyLhEUEAxrnEtKEMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WICasd7JDI&index=2&list=PL-fTfVG1oxI8etYqyyLhEUEAxrnEtKEMc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WICasd7JDI&index=2&list=PL-fTfVG1oxI8etYqyyLhEUEAxrnEtKEMc

April 30, 2015 6:36 pm  #10

I do write songs -  i study songwriting every saturday at my music school and have performed them in small concerts and things, but i dont have any videos of them sadly, my style is jazz/easy listening with piano or guitar and vocals

**************************************************************************************************************************
Official Johnlock Supporter :D
"We're not gay!"   

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains must be the truth.

John:  That was ridiculous.That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever done.
Sherlock: You invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't just me!

Board footera