BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2015 9:14 pm  #381

Re: Sherlocked - The Official Sherlock Convention

I could listen to him indefinitely, I think.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 30, 2015 3:27 am  #382

Wow! This convention looks like it was amazing! I really hope they still plan on bringing one over to the U.S. as well. Has there been anymore talk of that from the organizers?

April 30, 2015 9:05 am  #383

Nobody's said anything yet, but I heard they were taking it to America too. And Sue Vertue said (at the con), "you'd better start saving for next year." So...maybe...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 30, 2015 10:12 am  #384

Yes, they are definitely planning to take it to America (mentioned on their website, in the FAQ)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 30, 2015 12:56 pm  #385

Lilythiell wrote:

Yes, they are definitely planning to take it to America (mentioned on their website, in the FAQ)

And with my luck it will be in California on the other side of the freaking country!  *pout*  So even going on the cheap tickets would still involve plane fare.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 30, 2015 1:07 pm  #386

Fingers crossed it won't be on the other side of the country, then!

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 30, 2015 4:51 pm  #387

tonnaree wrote:

Lilythiell wrote:

And with my luck it will be in California on the other side of the freaking country!  *pout*  So even going on the cheap tickets would still involve plane fare.

And here I am hoping it WILL be in California, though I'm sure if it were they'd choose something down south which is quite a drive from where I am.

I knew they had said they'd be doing one here (the U.S.) just wasn't sure if maybe there had been mention of a date or location yet.

I just hope they give more of a heads up, it seemed to me like they didn't release the official date for the convention until pretty close to when it was and I would definitely need time to save up.

Last edited by myrindaside (April 30, 2015 4:55 pm)

April 30, 2015 5:07 pm  #388

yes, there was very little time between when they announced the date and put tickets on sale till the actual weekend.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 3, 2015 9:39 pm  #389

More than a month now since I spent a fantastic weekend in London and I am still on could nine... did this really happen??
I know that I am very lucky to have been there, and I am sorry that I didn't report back here ealier... just work and everyday life getting in the way so I didn't have much time to spend online.
Sherlocked London was my first convention ever and it was a great experience. There was so much to see and time flies when you are having fun. It was exciting to see the writers and so many of the actors of the show. The talks were fun and I wish I had attended more than the few that I managed to squeeze into my rather tight schedule between photo ops, autographs and making at least three visits to the "costumes and props" exhibition. I took quite a lot of photos and will try to share them with you via photobucket... hope the link works.

http://s430.photobucket.com/user/bruneva/slideshow/221%20B/Sherlocked%20London%202015

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

June 4, 2015 9:58 am  #390

Wow, great photos. Did you take those on a proper camera rather than a phone? They're really high quality and looks like you have a pretty good zoom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 5, 2015 6:50 pm  #391

Thank you! Glad you like my photos. I took them on a Panasonic Lumix camera. It is still small enough to fit in my handbag and has a great zoom (at least for a compact camera).

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

June 7, 2015 7:01 pm  #392

Well, I just watched a fan's video (in four parts) of Ben's part of the Sherlocked convention on stage (interviewer and Q and A session).  

I remember just after the convention happened, reading a few posts (I looked a bit to see the exact posts but unfortunately couldn't locate them) from some people who said they were a bit disappointed in the quality of the questions asked and that the answers Ben gave were kind of standard stuff, etc.  

Here's my overall take on the session -

I thought it was great!  Even though some of the questions were probably ones that have been asked before, I thought a lot of the fans posing the questions tried to put some thought into them and Ben's answers were articulate (as always), detailed and well thought out (except the weird one about the shipping -). 

Yes, there were some moments of informational repeat, but it didn't make it less interesting to listen to him answering the various questions, for me.  

I really loved all his enthusiasm that was very evident throughout the session, despite, as he mentioned, "having a bit of a head cold".  He seemed very animated and I loved how he addressed each of the fans who got up to the mike in a personal fashion (making sure to look directly at them and determined to see and address the person who he was talking to) and once he actually engaged one of them in a very personalised conversation ("chat" as he called it) about the town she was studying drama in (I think she was actually thrown for a loop by that).  

He was very reactive to the crowd's mood (commenting on their clapping for his marriage) and I loved his bits of mentioning Sophie and his upcoming family (how brilliant she is, how he is viewing fatherhood, etc.).

I love also his reaffirmation of how he views Sherlock as a character (his views fall nearly in with mine - including his feelings about "shipping") and his views of how he is different from that character that he plays.  This is an actor who has a grip on the essence of the character he plays and is confident in his interpretation. Also the part where he talked about his research into character, his feelings of nervousness when doing a role, and his feelings towards drawing from other actors who have done similar roles to his (something he doesn't agree with).  

And I loved hearing him talk about working with his mum and dad on Sherlock.  His pride in his parents is something that is just beautiful to hear.

All in all I thought that the session really came off splendidly and should have been a highlight of the convention (it certainly would have been for me if I had been lucky enough to have the opportunity to have gone to it).  Judging from the crowd's reaction it seems like the vast majority of them had a really, really great time as well.  And I guess that it what it is all about.

The quality of the video wasn't great but what does that matter - it was fantastic from start to finish!  I am surprised there aren't more comments beneath each of the posted segments (or views for that matter).  Maybe that is because it is just done on someone's phone and isn't smoothly done?  That's unfortunate.  It is still a brilliant thing to watch.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

June 7, 2015 9:56 pm  #393

Have seen almost all the Q@A from the con sessions now and tbh (Controversy! ) kinda disappointed and embarrassed by the quality of most of the Qs asked....

June 8, 2015 6:33 pm  #394

Sherlocked is coming back =)
Let's just hope it'll be cheaper.

June 8, 2015 9:39 pm  #395

Tbh, I was a bit astonished to read that they will return in 2016. Not that it is bad thing but before we know anything about series 4 ... a bit strange. Of course we will have seen the special by then but two cons without a new series to discuss seems a bit odd. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 8, 2015 9:52 pm  #396

Ah-chie wrote:

Well, I just watched a fan's video (in four parts) of Ben's part of the Sherlocked convention on stage (interviewer and Q and A session).

I haven't been able to find any Youtube videos of the Sherlocked convention where I can actually understand what Benedict is saying, the sound quality on all the ones I've tried to watch have been so bad. Would you be able to post the link to the ones you watched, or send it to me in a pm? Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 9, 2015 12:34 am  #397

Ukaunz - I'll look for it and post it to you when I find it again.  I found it almost by accident (when I was looking for something totally unrelated) so it may take a while. 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 9, 2015 12:49 am  #398

By luck I found it quite easily.

Here's Part One -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YSSUL7bvs1c

Part Two -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SCcJPXwB_HY

Part Three -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=frxoWNRnnEc

And Part Four -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gNLHD5AKh9Y

Like I said before the visual quality isn't good at all but the audio isn't bad (I can understand almost every word of it).  The other thing is that everytime the person doing the recording takes a picture with her/his phone there is breakup in the visuals but the audio track picks up without missing a beat when the pictures resume moving, so it isn't too difficult to keep the thread of Ben's conversation.

It isn't the quality of the Adobe session but then it is done by a audience member and not a professional setup so it is completely understandable.

I certainly appreciate this youtube video (despite the less than stellar visuals) so I could see for myself how Ben's Sherlocked session went.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 9, 2015 5:11 am  #399

SusiGo wrote:

Tbh, I was a bit astonished to read that they will return in 2016. Not that it is bad thing but before we know anything about series 4 ... a bit strange. Of course we will have seen the special by then but two cons without a new series to discuss seems a bit odd. 

Oh, but just think about all those Star Trek conventions...! There haven't been new episodes to discuss for what feels like ages!
(And in the end it's all (well, almost all) about the money that can be made with a convention, new episodes or not... and that's why I'm pretty sure it won't be any cheaper than the first Sherlocked.)

Last edited by SolarSystem (June 9, 2015 5:13 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 9, 2015 6:41 am  #400

I think you're right, Solar. It looks like they had no problem selling tickets for this year's one, so why drop the prices?  And it will help to keep interest up during the hiatus.  Perhaps the biggest problem will be getting the busy members of the team together on the same weekend, but again, they did manage pretty well this year. 

Board footera