BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2015 6:40 pm  #301

Re: Sherlocked - The Official Sherlock Convention

Gosh, he's scary and has such an impressive face and silhouette... Even more without the glasses on... In the German language we say noone we want to meet in darkness...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 26, 2015 6:46 pm  #302

So much for the hot night in Karachi 

http://ivyblossom.tumblr.com/post/117445646370/i-wrote-that-scene-because-i-was-so-curious

(not 100% sure if this from the con)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 26, 2015 7:57 pm  #303

SusiGo wrote:

http://ivyblossom.tumblr.com/post/117445646370/i-wrote-that-scene-because-i-was-so-curious

Wowzers...
*yawn*

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 26, 2015 7:59 pm  #304

I think I'd have liked that ending - a nice bookend to them meeting with Irene naked!  And Irene getting one-up again at the end.  I don't know if would have worked so well, but it would have been great if they'd filmed it and had it as a DVD extra. 

(I'm sure the night in Karachi was Benedict's invention, not Stephen's).

Last edited by Liberty (April 26, 2015 8:01 pm)

April 26, 2015 8:00 pm  #305

SusiGo wrote:

(yes, it´s from the con)

Poor Sherlock simply HAD to invent a hot night in Karachi - he could in no way admit that the cunning woman tricked him again. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 26, 2015 8:01 pm  #306

Yes, as I said above, sparkling fireworks....

April 26, 2015 8:02 pm  #307

Sorry, Benedict, but your imagination ran wild, I suppose. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 26, 2015 8:02 pm  #308

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I'd rather no one died... *hides*

This made me giggle!

God gracious! So even Anderson fell into Magnussens clutches! 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 26, 2015 8:03 pm  #309

SusiGo wrote:

Sorry, Benedict, but your imagination ran wild, I suppose. 

Mean, Susi...

April 26, 2015 8:07 pm  #310

Well, the scene doesn't rule it out ... but I have to admit, I've never quite agreed with him on that.  I think Sherlock would keep it under control. 

April 26, 2015 8:11 pm  #311

I can imagine it, but with Sherlock acting awkward, skittish and uneasy, not as a macho man Benedict described.... 

April 26, 2015 8:12 pm  #312

Oh, he certainly has his nakedness under control 

April 26, 2015 8:22 pm  #313

Now that scene would have been amazing to see...

I mean... not just for the naked Sherlock

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 26, 2015 9:01 pm  #314

Vhanja wrote:

Lol, that fanpic with Andrew Scott was hilarious!

If one cast member had to die, I would pick Mary. She would be the only one I wouldn't mind dying.

Confession.  When picking some one to die I didn't even count Mary!  I assume she's going to die anyway.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 26, 2015 9:07 pm  #315

Ah, this explains a lot. 

April 26, 2015 9:14 pm  #316

nakahara wrote:

Ooooh, so the version of Sherlock´s survival from TEH is being confirmed by TPRB!

http://cantpronounce.tumblr.com/post/117424065800/q-you-showed-different-ways-sherlock-might-have

Well, when asked "What would you to Doyle if you met him?" Moffat replied "You're a big fat liar"
Wonder if a parallel could be drawn...

I'm currently writing my report, it'll be up in a moment. Erm, brace yourselves, it'll be quite long.
What's more, I think I'll be able to upload the numerous pictures I've taken by Tuesday...Sorry for the delay, I really didn't expect to come back from the day knackered. Humpf, I really should have *thought*, shouldn't I?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 26, 2015 9:30 pm  #317

Lilythiell wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Ooooh, so the version of Sherlock´s survival from TEH is being confirmed by TPRB!

http://cantpronounce.tumblr.com/post/117424065800/q-you-showed-different-ways-sherlock-might-have

Well, when asked "What would you to Doyle if you met him?" Moffat replied "You're a big fat liar"
Wonder if a parallel could be drawn...

I'm currently writing my report, it'll be up in a moment. Erm, brace yourselves, it'll be quite long.
What's more, I think I'll be able to upload the numerous pictures I've taken by Tuesday...Sorry for the delay, I really didn't expect to come back from the day knackered. Humpf, I really should have *thought*, shouldn't I?

Take your time and write a wonderful report. I´m looking forward to it! 

April 26, 2015 10:28 pm  #318

Can't wait to read your account, Lilythiell!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 27, 2015 12:09 am  #319

First of all, let me start by saying that had a really, really good time. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attend the Convention on Friday – I arrived in London very late (trains, ugh)…And didn’t go to the party either, even though I could have. I wanted to be fresh for the next day…
So. Report on Saturday 25 April.

Well, first of all, there can’t be a report on something happening in Britain, without talking about…yes, you got it right. The weather. Weather wasn’t perfect in the morning –bit rainy. When I say “rainy” I mean a few drops here and there, nothing to make a fuss about, really. Still, almost messed up with my hair –except that I had come prepared. Thank you, Mycroft :-P
Once inside the building, I joined everyone in room S7, to…well, queue. There has been quite a lot of that involved. But that’s the way of things, isn’t it? Queueing. Anyway, there was one queue for every group – VIP, Platinum, Gold, Silver, Weekend, Day. So, once the doors opened, all hell wasn’t loose, far from it. They made every queue leave one after the other. It was quite orderly, I must say.
It was a bit strange, for the Con per se took place in S5. That is not particularly strange when you know the layout of the venue, but what was funny was that they had us walk on the other side of the building (not far, less than 30 feet/10 meters), and around a (sitting place to drink your tea? Bad memory, here, feel free to add your input!) before actually setting foot in S5. As I gather most of you have seen, the entrance of the room was decorated with a SHERLOCKED sign, with a group photo of the cast.

So, when you enter S5, on your right there is the Information desk – strangely enough there seemed to be people there all weekend. And not just staff.
On your left is a stand that sold 5’ magnifying lenses (yup, the one that Sherlock uses in Study). When I saw that I vowed to end my weekend here. On the left, still there was a merchandising stand. To be honest, there were three of official Sherlocked merchandising, a BBC Shop stand, a Big Chief Studio stand (and, by the way, Mycroft and Moriarty figures are open to pre-order. Don’t recall the price, though. Sorry.) Another stand selling merchandise (bit more diverse than just Sherlock, they had vinyl figures and bobble heads of characters from various TV series –I can remember Spike, from Buffy.
God, how many times have I wished I were rich...

At the end of the left side of S5, just before the second stage, was the glorious John Watson exhibition. Yes, it is ironic. I was utterly disappointed –two pages? Nothing new. Felt like I had been cheated, to be honest, because I really looked forward to that exposition… Sure, there were a tank and a cannon, as well as John’s military outfit, but, apart from that… Deeply insufficient, in my opinion. [And hilariously corrected by fans who happened to have a red pen. Just because I want you lot to point out the mistakes, I’ll put on pictures of the texts.]
In front of the oh too short exhibition on John Watson was a double decker, with a poster of Moriarty titled “Miss me” on one side, a poster of Sherlock titled “The Game is On” on the other, and both of them at the front of the bus. Really, really nice.

Behind the BBC Shop stand was The Door (yes, it is a character. Obviously.) And people queueing to have their picture taken in front of it, too. Now that had me wondering why I came alone and why the hell I didn’t just ask someone. Well. There’ll be other times, I suppose.
Nearly forgot because it was so small, probably. Between BBC Shop stand and The Door, there was a small area where you could try on The Network App.

Now, still from the entrance of S5, let’s take to our right. As I’ve mentioned before, the Information desk. Behind it was “photo area 4”. It was a rather small room (I would say cosy, but then again, when I went for Loo <squeeeeeeee> there were about ten persons. So there.).

Next to it was the area where people collected their various packages. (VIP, Platinum, …) Now, about that, I just have to say that it was horribly long for any Gold package holder to have everything that should be in their package bag. I mean, we had to wait for this bloody morning to have our pre signed pictures (Ben <squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee> and Mark <squeeeeeeeeeee>;). Now that I think of it, Platinum holders had trouble, too –when I asked the crew for mine this morning, a Platinum holder asked the same and they were told that they were “still being signed”. I know that there were quite a lot of platinum holders, but…

Next to the Collection Area was the costume department. Quite a lovely exhibition. Sherlock’s coat. Shezza’s attire (labelled “Sherlock homeless outfit”), Mycroft’s and Moriarty’s suit, not to mention Mary’s wedding dress, Irene’s négligé, Sherlock’s dressing gown… Oh, there was the “bomb” on Sumatra road. Couldn’t help but chuckle, there. Of course, there were many other little props –like the pink lady’s phone… :D

Next to it was booth 3 for photo shoots. It’s where I had my picture taken with Jonathan Aris. First photo shoot I did, ever. God, he is such a lovely man! As there were not many people at the time (everyone else was queueing up for Ben’s…

[And, I would like to correct what the young fan said, there were way more than 700 persons – I had a Gold package and was number 693…you can imagine there were rather a lot of people after me]

So, as there were not a lot of people there, he had time to chat –even if for a bit, two minutes was so much more than for all of the others…and put me at ease. And it shows! Damn, I never find me good on photographs, but even I can’t deny that I look really pleased. As opposite to the one with Ben – I was terrified, trying to keep the crazy at bay…and did too much of a good job out of it.

And right next to it, The Living Room. Don’t need to describe it to you, I think? I’ll tell you one thing that I simply would never have guessed had I not seen it up close, though –the walls seem to actually be in 3D. Couldn’t be 100% sure as you weren’t allowed to touch.

Now we’ve really covered the whole of the first third of the room, let’s move on to the next third of the room. There was another stand of official merchandising from Sherlocked (wish it were raining drizzling money that morning!). Then a generally empty area with The Cab in the middle. That’s the place I first spotted an infant. For God’s sake, it’s not the place of a child. Anyway.
A Void was next to The Main Stage (where the talks took place. The talks you had to pay to go to.) More on that area –and the talk later. Promise.
At the very far end of it all was an unassuming little stand for the Baker Street babes. I have to admit I have only glanced at it –I was experiencing a low at that moment (too many people? Not enough tea in my system?) and forgot about this so little stand, apart from all the others.
Next to it was a line for autographs –Rupert Graves, Jonathan Aris, Lars Mikkelsen and Elizabeth Coyle. Strangely enough, I never saw a lot of people there. But come on guys!
Anyway, when I did go for an autograph (three of them. Had nothing for Elizabeth Coyle to sign on.) it was far from being a problem, hehe. I did get 4 autograhs out of 5 (Una Stubbs, Lars, Rupert and Jonathan).

Next to this was “photo area 2”…and there one starts to understand why there was a Void. Because that’s where Andrew Scott had his photo shoots, that’s why. So you can imagine the people, I suppose.
After that, more autographs areas (from left to right): Andrew, Lara (those two were apart from the others, with actual panels around), Clive, Louise, Mark, Steven, Louis, Sue, Loo and Una, before the Second Stage.  Let’s recap the rule for autographs (and photo shoots, for that matter).

Basically, if you’d bought a VIP package, you had…everything. Minus £3,000. (And I’m not counting merchandising). In Platinum, Gold and Silver packages, you had a number of photo shoots (1 per actor), and a number of in-person autographs (in Gold we had 5). For everything else that was not included in your pass, you had to pay extra. Not necessarily expensive, but…could be, if you somehow managed to get everything. And if someone did, I admire them. Or if someone made choices, I admire them. I am so, so happy that I could go to Mark and Steven talk. I was very afraid I wouldn’t be able to, because it was at the same time than Lara’s photo shoot, and…obviously I wanted both.
And I wasn’t able to go to any talk this Sunday morning, because most of the photos for Gold) were taken that very morning. Suddenly wishing I had a TARDIS. [WTH, “suddenly”? As if I’d ever stopped.]

But…I haven’t told you where Lara, Mark nor Ben’s pictures where taken…I’ve described to you the outline  of the venue, what was on its side…What could possibly be missing…

….

No?

Think again.

….

Nothing?

Well. The centre, obviously.
Now, as it has been mentioned before, more than 700 persons showed up for Ben (somehow I think it was closer to 1,000), and quite possibly the same number for Lara, and Mark. I admire them. The utter endurance they must have…Amazing.
When he came through the crowd… WOW. An uproar, really. I’m not sure he likes it much. He didn't let it show (of course not, he’s an actor –and an extremely talented one, at that- for God’s sake!), but in all likelihood I think he is getting tired of this, even if he understands it.

I was still daunted (to say the least –and to be honest I still am) with taking a picture with Ben. I also experienced the feeling of not quite believing what had just happened. He was nice, took a second to say ‘hello’, ‘how are you’ and ‘thank you’ –I suppose he would have said more had he had any time to, the poor man. I think a picture was taken every 10 seconds –at most.
<<<Gah! All these smells, though. Lots of perfume, that's quite unsettling. And all these girls who basically put on lipstick (Molly??) or check their hair... People -.- I understand why they do it, though. Want to look their best. But, still >>>
The poor man...about 10 seconds to take a picture with him... I've only glanced at him, didn’t have a proper look –and now I’m drooling on the photo because of how fast it all happened.  And anyway, I was so intimidated I couldn't do much else, really. He seemed to be at ease, but I suppose that's practise for you. Once he had 1,000 people taking their picture with him, he started "group photos" straight away. I know I should feel bad to have bought one, but it's part of his job, after all. Can't help myself for being sorry for him.
I thought I would less intimidated to have a group photo shoot...but it was a lot worse. I’ve forgotten how to breathe for a time, and I was shaking for …yeah, till I came to my hotel room. Bad news for the heart rate. However, my inner fangirl was ex-ta-tic.

Now…time to talk about the talks.

Benedict's Talk.
Bless him,  he turned red when we applauded him when he mentioned being married.
"What is the bit you like best with the complexity of the relationship between Sherlock and Moriarty?" If I remember correctly, he said that Sherlock admired Moriarty. Apart from that…my memory’s failing…Anyone can fill the gap…? Please?
Someone asked what specific parts of a new script make him scared. He replied that there were obviously times when there were intimidating bits (deductions, for example…), but that, at the end of day, he likes a challenge. Because that will make you get better.
Incidentally, on the subject of fear, he said something along the lines of “Never fear to be afraid, fear is a constant companion in acting, it will have you better your game up.” Seeing as he said that when Martin first read with him, “he [Martin] made [him] raise [his] game”. Does that mean that Martin is frightening…?
He said that shooting CAM was an act of love and protection, for Mary, and John.
He said that the favourite bits of filming in Sherlock were the rooftop, the best man speech (5 days of extreme hard work when he had to act schizophrenic and slap his face, but so much fun) and the scenes with Martin. Every scene with Martin. Apparently he can’t talk about it. (I’m still waiting for the scene in the gay bar during the Stag Night.)
Someone asked who had the idea for [his] parents to play [Sherlock’s] parents. He cannot remember whether it was Mark, or Steven or Sue, but when the decision was taken, both Ben and his parents were a bit nervous about it. It was the first time they played together and, obviously, didn’t want to disappoint the other parties involved.
He said that his mother had to put up with quite a lot of Sherlockian behaviour. He had to take the character home, because he needed to have this unrelenting focus running.
When asked if he differentiates between the so oh so numerous characters that he’s played, he replied that they are all different from one another. So of course he differentiates. The question was more based on the “intelligent characters” that he’s played, but on that particular point he replied that they are all intelligent (maybe not Patrick Watts from Starter for Ten) in their own way. He made a particularly passionate speech about Vincent Van Gogh being a genius in painting, and in the Arts in general.
He said that costumes were extremely important –and took the example of Victorian Sherlock, who was really not the same as modern-day Sherlock. From the hair to the way your clothes move around you…you have to adapt and adjust your game accordingly. [The question on costumes came back in several panels, i.e. Andrew’ and Lars&Rupert’s, and the answer was the same.]
On the question of “Would you go to your Sherlock if you walked past him in the streets? “, his answer is yes. He would, although he doesn’t need to have “layers upon layers of [him] stripped”.
(oh, you lot and your dirty minds…), he would be fascinated to meet him.
On the last question…”We know you’re not a big fan of Johnlock, but is there a couple in the series that you would ship”. Right. His answer? “Let's ship Continents.” (I don't know what shipping means...!).

Andrew Scott Talk
Andrew was very lovely during his talk. Very attentive to fans questions, and trying to answer them as best he could. Not forgetting to add humour, obviously.
He says that theatre in particular is exhausting… but I can’t quite remember the question [should have taken notes on both Q and A…I’ll do better next time, I promise). Something along the lines of the amount of energy involved in the process of acting.
He hasn’t looked at previous incarnations of Moriarty. That’s not a good idea, you need to know the character you’re playing, not mimic one you know. Creating a backstory is important in his opinion. But he wouldn’t share his on Moriarty, lest it reduces the character.  For him, Moriarty is a very playful character and that he and Ben had always a good laugh when they played their scenes –he gave the example of the scene when Moriarty is at 221b, and told him “IOU”…apparently he went for various versions, and even a singsong version (pretend you hear a sort of Gregorian chant). Obviously the whole room laughed out loud. But we were not the only ones, Ben did too, at the time.
On the score of making the audience die from laughter, he answered a question on “dealing with nerves” (stage fright) with “It doesn’t matter. We’re all going to die soon.”
Someone asked him what the differences between Moriarty and his character in the upcoming Bond movie are. *Laugh* *silence* *laugh* *more silence* *host shouting Vatican cameos*
Rupert and Lars’ Talk
Well, it was hot. And Rupert was brown as a nut (I’ve heard that line somewhere, but I can’t remember where…). I’ve met people in front of Speedy’s (what a coincidence that people who went to the con this weekend, went there the following day…Oh, right, no, the universe is rarely so lazy, isn’t it?) who thought it was a bit awkward, but that’s very possibly because they didn’t play together. In my opinion, they were relaxed enough –and Rupert was smiling throughout the talk. I swear that this man is even more gorgeous than I had imagined.
Rupert has quite a sad backstory for Lestrade –little, empty flat, unpacked boxes, apart from take away and booze…Seems to have trouble with women. He’s been told about how some people saw his character in a relationship with Mycroft and asked what he thought about it (yep, they asked the question like that. Not “shipping” or “Mystrade”. Nope. Crystal clear for everyone. So the host asked “Is this a clean question?” When it appeared that it was not “ a clean question” [I assume that, by “clean” they intended anything that is interpreted by the fandom. Because Mycroft and Lestrade may have a scene (yes!), but it’s NOTHING compared to the scenes he’s got with Molly. And on that topic…] He REEEEEEAAAALLY fancies Molly. Big news, here.
On the question of “what other character from the series would you play”, Rupert said Mrs Hudson (searched a little) and Lars, Irene Adler, without any hesitation. Because she knows what he likes. Erm…okay…?
They’ve been asked what they liked the least about their character! The question had them laughing –especially Rupert, most probably because, let’s face it, Lestrade is a really nice bloke. But he did way he would like him to be a bit more clever. Lars didn’t answer the question…I wonder why…
On the screening
Ben’s talk just before –sorry I was too tired to register anything else
The host implied that Molly had sex with “Jim from IT”. Ben replied “I really don’t think Sherlock would [give a toss] about it.” (That’s certainly not the expression he used, but I’ve got Cabin Pressure in my head, and all that comes back to me is “Who gives a toss how many rings you’ve got on your sleeve”)
He reflected on Sherlock’s oblivious meanness. Because of the Christmas scene. But made no comment on why he apologised. He did say that he’s not mean because he wants to, just because he is oblivious.
“They had a night. Irene and him. They had a night, at the end of the episode”. The host went “Really?” and Ben went “Yeah!”
And then we went on to watching Scandal However the sound quality at the very beginning (the first five minutes) was terrible -the voices were muffled and, even when you know the text (there's no need in denying it, at this point, is there?) it really grates on your nerves. So, they noticed, fixed it and said "we apologise for the bad sound quality. We'll start all over again". Well wouldn't it have just been wrong if they had not?

The Party
The party was disappointing. I thought there would be more people...and that people who’d gone would have done an effort in cosplay. There *was* a theme, after all. And the rooms were not set as "Moriarty's lair" nor as "Sherlock's Mind Palace -except for a skeleton. Bit disappointing, that.
Basically, they were just grey rooms with spotlights here and there and (good) loud music. Mostly from the 80s (spent most of my time in Moriarty's lair. Obviously “Staying Alive” played). When I went to Sherlock's Mind Palace, there was the new song that everybody is crazy about (Uptown Funk, or something like that?). And oh my God, the price of the drinks (well, yeah, it was a party. No alcohol would have been really, really weird) was high. Then again, it’s London. But still. It could have been assumed that the first drink was free because you’d purchased a G, P or VIP package.

Personal notes:
This con occupies less space than the Doctor Who Celebration had two years ago for their 50th anniversary. But then again, Doctor Who is something of a national treasure, and has been for a longer time than Sherlock.
I really thought it was going to occupy more space.

Apologies : I am exhausted and have not fully completed my report Saturday…and haven’t started on Sunday:S I intend to go to bed and get back to it tomorrow. For Saturday I just need to summarize what was said during Andrew Scott’s Talk much, much better than what I did; give you an account of Lars and Rupert’s; talk of the Screening (Scandal!) and insert a word about the party. Not much, then.
Apologies if I have hurt anyone’s feelings. Far from it from being my intention. Merely reporting my impressions, here.

Last edited by Lilythiell (April 27, 2015 10:53 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 27, 2015 7:00 am  #320

Fantastic report, Lilythiell! And a terrific adventure! Expensive, yes, but I bet it was worth it to meet all these people from the cast and the crew and to witness all of this live.

Board footera