BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2015 1:45 pm  #141

Re: Jeremy Brett Picture Thread

That is probably true

Last edited by BrettHolmes (March 17, 2015 1:46 pm)

March 17, 2015 1:47 pm  #142

Here are some vintage TV interviews with Brett and Hardwicke

Last edited by BrettHolmes (March 17, 2015 1:49 pm)

March 18, 2015 8:18 am  #143

Thank you, they were interesting and it was nice to see the actors out of their roles for a while.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 18, 2015 10:47 pm  #144

Most charming smile and alluring cat´s eyes:

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 18, 2015 11:00 pm  #145

So that adorable shushing was in a Brett version too:

March 19, 2015 10:10 am  #146

Jeremy was a good singer as well, check this out:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jCJ00S7EY

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 15, 2015 6:52 am  #147

I'm just discovering the Granada series and Jeremy Brett now. I started watching The Hound of the Baskervilles today, it's so good. Thought I would look at some photos of Jeremy Brett and came across this one:

From this tumblr http://winter-is-coming-in221b-baker-st.tumblr.com/post/91073827414/ladies-and-gentlemen-jeremy-brett-deal-with (more photos)

Does anyone else see a similarity to Benedict? It makes me wonder if Moftiss were looking for a young version of Jeremy to play a younger version of his Holmes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 15, 2015 8:11 am  #148

What a lovely pic, thank you, ukaunz! But actually I'm not sure if Moffat and Gatiss went for a younger version of Jeremy. Benedict was the only actor they offered the part, and since in other pics the similarity is not that stunning I imagine they could have found an actor even more similar. They wanted Ben's particular acting style. And the show they created is completely different from the start, not as close to canon as the Granada series.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 15, 2015 9:20 am  #149

Yes, you are right, it is only that one photo. It was just a whimsical thought really.

I've always thought it was strange though, that when they saw Benedict in Atonement they decided he was the man they wanted to play Sherlock. To me, there's nothing in that character or his look that says "Sherlock Holmes", but they could obviously see he was a brilliant actor. I'm glad they found him

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 15, 2015 9:25 am  #150

I agree. I never understood the association either but maybe this is what being a good writer/producer is about. Seeing the things others don't. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 24, 2015 4:37 pm  #151

Just found this video with tons of wonderful Jeremy pics from all stages of his life. Adorable. And the text of the song is very fitting too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8dl19ALivk

April 25, 2015 12:04 pm  #152

I have been reading some the original stories for the first time recently and I have to say that Jeremy Brett really is one that is the closest to how Sherlock Holmes was in the books. He claimed that he really studied the role and I believe him. All other actors prior to him were simply following Rathbone and going along with the usual image of Holmes such as always wearing the deerstalker (which he really only wore in the country), smoking a meerschaum pipe (which I don’t think he ever smoked but people believe he did ever since William Gillette used it when he played Holmes on stage), or always uttering the words “Elementary my dear Watson” (instead it was actually Watson who said “Elementary my dear Holmes”). Brett broke this mold and turned him into a really three-dimensional character focusing on his many idiosyncrasies and nuances. I think whether intentionally or unintentionally,you can see traces of Brett in Cumberbatch, Miller, and Downey Jr. when they play the part.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (April 28, 2015 10:03 pm)

April 25, 2015 1:41 pm  #153

True. Jeremy´s legacy is certainly visible in all Sherlock´s that came after him. 

April 25, 2015 1:45 pm  #154

Another delightful moment from the series with Sherlock and Mycroft

Last edited by BrettHolmes (April 25, 2015 1:47 pm)

April 25, 2015 1:50 pm  #155

Holmeses bickering like that are a delight in every version - but this moment is most funny. 

April 26, 2015 12:54 am  #156

BBC Sherlock was my first introduction to Holmes, and I think I will always love Benedict's interpretation best, but now that I'm reading the original stories and watching the relevant Granada episode after reading each one, I agree that Jeremy Brett nails the character as ACD wrote him. He is a wonderful Holmes and exactly how I imagine him when reading the stories.

April 26, 2015 6:42 am  #157

My first introduction were actually the books that I read and I feel that we all agree that Jeremy got closest to the books.
The Granada series and the BBC are two completely different beasts, though. The first one filming the stories from page to page till the end, the second one modernizing, mixing, turning upside down. So a slightly different Holmes was required, and I'm not talking about age here. Important for example is the whole friendship/I'm doing emotions now-stuff. Jeremy gave his Holmes a slightly extravagant and humorous touch, freeing him from a bit of a dusty image that went along with the Holmes figure.

April 28, 2015 8:23 pm  #158

The most famous address in all of literature

April 28, 2015 8:28 pm  #159

Unperishable Baker Street 221/B! 

April 28, 2015 11:00 pm  #160

Last edited by BrettHolmes (April 28, 2015 11:12 pm)

Board footera