BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2015 10:24 pm  #1

Mad Men

Are any of you guys following Mad Men? 

Hubby and I started watching this a few years back out of curiousity. We were both impressed by the first episode, so continued watching. I loved it, but towards the end of first season we both started losing interest. We felt it became slightly boring, and I completely lost track of the story so I didn't understand what was going on on screen. So we both dropped watching the show for a few years.

But this year we've taken it up again, and now we both love it to bits. We've watch every episode that's out so far, and it's only the last part of season 7 left before the show ends. 

To me, this is some of the best writing and production I've seen in a tv show. It follows an advert company all throughout the 60s. First season starts in 1960 last one ends 69/70. The show has done an AMAZING job at capturing the feel, the culture, the trends and the developments of the sixties. Some of the character develops more than I've seen before in any show, and it's also one of the first times I've seen a main character (Don Draper) being so incredibly un-likable. 

Not like Sherlock or House. Don Draper lies, cheats constantly, is withdrawn from absolutely everyone, a loner and very, very cynical. Sometimes I think he's an idiot with very few redeeming qualities. Which I find VERY interesting when you're talking about a main character for seven seasons.

Both hubby and I have several times been quite impressed with the script, it's actually astoundingly good most of the times. My only critic is that the show does have elements of soap (when one drama plot ends, another begins). However, most of them are coherent and there is a common thread and character development that goes with most of these minor plots. Also, thinks really happens to characters in this show. Some get promoted, some get fired and you never see them again, some even die. Even the main character go thorugh a ride you would never expect. People marry, cheats, divorce, marry again... The company merge, split, moves, diminish, expands... there is no vacuum of stand still. One of the things that makes this show so great.

It's a show that takes a bit of time to get into, because it might easily seem "boring" at first. But it's an impressive show - for the great characters, their amazing development, the cultural timeline of the sixties closely intertwined with it all from start to finish, the really good scripts... 

Another thing I love about it is that they have kept the show, and the characters, in the sixties. They smoke, the drink, they smoke pot, fathers are distant from their children, women are discriminated against. Even the main characters are like this. They dare to be honest. Something I LOVE.

So - any of you guys seen this? What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Vhanja (April 25, 2015 1:22 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 25, 2015 10:40 am  #2

Re: Mad Men

My husband is very keen on this series and has watched every episode to date. I have missed some but agree that stylistically it is very strong with good plotting, acting and character development. A class act!

Last edited by Davina (April 25, 2015 10:41 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera