BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 6, 2015 8:58 pm  #21

Re: 10 Norwegian Phrases that don't Exist in English

Haha, I don't remember a lot of German either. Just some very, very basic stuff. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 6, 2015 8:58 pm  #22

Mattlocked wrote:

"avsnitt" = paragraph seems to be the German "Abschnitt"

And there you go. Got a lot for free when learning German. ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 6, 2015 9:05 pm  #23

Haha, this is so true! I can recognize myself, and most of the people I know, in just about every point. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-offend-a-norwegian-person-2014-11

Team Hudders!

April 6, 2015 9:07 pm  #24

Would love to use "my" Swedish more often, but then it was - as you say - only the basic stuff all the time. Hi, thanks, coffee please.... But it was never enough for business talk, so I have to switch to English then. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 6, 2015 9:09 pm  #25

Send me a PM in Swedish. ;) I could reply in German, but I wouldn't know enough ot hold a conversation. ;)

Team Hudders!

April 6, 2015 9:16 pm  #26

Haha, it would probably not even be enough for a pm atm. 
No, I mean by phone, like listen to and answer... For writing I don't have enough grammar knowledge.

April 6, 2015 9:17 pm  #27

That second link is nice. Hey! I'm almost always late! 

April 6, 2015 9:18 pm  #28

I know enough German to politely say that I don't know German. ;)

Anyway, this thread is probably becoming a bit too... (and there I don't know a good English word for what I mean. I would use the word "intern" - meaning "internal" - but I don't think that's a good way to use that word in English).

Team Hudders!

April 6, 2015 9:19 pm  #29

Mattlocked wrote:

That second link is nice. Hey! I'm almost always late!

I hate it when people are late!  My mum always forced us all to be ready and leave so that we were at any appointment ten minutes before schedule. 

Team Hudders!

April 7, 2015 5:55 am  #30

Schmiezi wrote:

@Russel:I didn't read properly the first time and thought it meant "the necessity to eat a banana". That, he doesindeed have several times a day (though he is only allowed one per day).
Iam used to our way of glueing words together, so I was very surprised when I understood at school the in English, you need severalwords to translate one long German word. Like the famous "Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän"which means "the captain of the company that owns steamboats that drive on the Danube".

Neat.  I often found that tendency strangely interesting (as well as the different marks over letters and how guttural some of the languages in that 'family' sound).  But yeah, like mentioned, other languages have the ability to describe a lot of things you can't briefly in English!  (although we do have plenty of our own confusing word quirks and idioms )  I only ever took a few years of Spanish in high school, so more familiar with Romance language structure.  Unfortunately not great at languages to have tried out any German, though, considering that's the nation of origin of some of my mom's side (her dad even proudly recalled "coming over on the boat" when very young)… never really brought up his language much!
But good grief, some of the elaborate compounds they have!  When googling for some of my favorite more poetic words I remembered hearing about, came across various phrases such as Backpfeifengesicht (lol that they have word for a face that needs slapped), but… Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz??   

But found some of favorites and more awesome ones here:  http://mentalfloss.com/article/50698/38-wonderful-foreign-words-we-could-use-english  Love how poetic some of these are… 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 7, 2015 6:44 am  #31

Russell wrote:

But found some of favorites and more awesome ones here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/50698/38-wonderful-foreign-words-we-could-use-english Love how poetic some of these are…

Those are beautiful words. I knew the Japanese one for someone who is beautiful from behind but not from the front. I would love to introduce the word Mamihlapinatapai to Johnlock. (the concept of Ya’arburnee is used in many Johnlock fanfics I've read. How touching that there is a word for it!) And I love the word gigil.

Oh, I didn't know there is a Finnish word for "Fremdschämen".

Thanks for posting this, Russel. It's great fun!

Last edited by Schmiezi (April 7, 2015 6:46 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera