BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2015 5:34 pm  #681

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

Lola Red wrote:

Moftiss have often explained that while his drug taking in the canon made him more mysterious, in the show, it makes him deeply flawed (they used slightly less polite language here). I think I our modern times, it is actually his decision to not engage in sex that makes him more mysterious.

oh yes, that's very true, thank you for lighting it up! Drug, in the canon, add a  of "bold and exotic" touch to the character ( as the chemical expériences did) and I sometimes wondered what could have the same effect on readers/viewers in modern days.
Moffat and Gatiss must be very aware that Holmes ambiguity about feeling and sex adds salt to the show ( although I don't think it's the heart of it)

April 3, 2015 5:55 pm  #682

I like the volcano analogy.   Everything's under the surface.  It's not that he doesn't feel those things but he represses them.  And the way Benedict plays it, you sometimes get glimpses of feelings close to the surface.

I think when it comes to sex, he does pretty well at repressing it - it's not something we see bothering him (usually). 

Yes, they played down the recreational (rather than "on a case") drug stuff in the TV series, no doubt because it's less socially acceptable - along with the smoking!   I suppose they could also have played down the celibacy, but I'm glad that they haven't. 

April 3, 2015 7:17 pm  #683

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him lose control... 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 3, 2015 7:24 pm  #684

I must stop thinking of volcanic eruptions at once. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 3, 2015 7:30 pm  #685

SusiGo wrote:

Interesting thoughts, Lola. So you say that he does not just suppress his emotions (at least until series 3) but also his sexual urges because giving in to them might make him feel less in control or vulnerable, correct? So this quote from HoB I have always found very revealing might apply to his sexuality as well: 

"Always been able to keep myself distant ... myself from ... feelings."

Yes, this is what I meant. Sherlock is very emotional, but chooses (or at least tries) to not express part of his emotions to not endanger his work. Similarly he is a sexual person, but chooses to not express the part of his sexuality that would involve another person. I think both are done to minimise the effect the outside world can have on his mind.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

April 3, 2015 7:42 pm  #686

I agree with that.

And yet in series 3 we have seen a change towards the emotional and I would not exclude that the same might happen with the sexual as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 3, 2015 7:51 pm  #687

If Sherlock could find that one person that being close to wouldn't harm the work.  A person who's love and support might even help the work......................................................just saying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 3, 2015 7:53 pm  #688

tonnaree wrote:

If Sherlock could find that one person that being close to wouldn't harm the work.  A person who's love and support might even help the work......................................................just saying.

I have always thought the same. I can understand his worry about getting involved with someone might affect his work. But I don't think that would be such an issue when that someone is already part of his everyday life and his work.

Or so I have always thought. But that is probably neither here nor there in this thread.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 3, 2015 8:14 pm  #689

Sherlock Holmes having a sex life can make sense. In Elementary, they choose to show a Holmes having a fair amount of one night stands, but still not getting involved in a traditionnal relationship. Having sex doesn't make him less lonely. I think loneliness is part of the essence of every Holmes version, as much as weirdness.

Last edited by NatureNoHumansNo (April 3, 2015 8:21 pm)

April 3, 2015 8:17 pm  #690

Well, he's not exactly right about it - his feelings for Irene actually make his mind function better (when he's superfast at deciphering the code).  But I suppose he weighs that up against it affecting his judgment (by not thinking through what she was going to do with the code). 

April 3, 2015 8:19 pm  #691

SusiGo wrote:

I agree with that.

And yet in series 3 we have seen a change towards the emotional and I would not exclude that the same might happen with the sexual as well. 

Yes Sherlock keeps growing as a character. He becomes more and more human, but I think as Moffat put it “he is a human trying to be a god”. So he will never truly be like other people. I do not know what that will mean with regard to his willingness to live his sexuality. We know the person who is most like Sherlock, Mycroft, is living his, or at least it is implied that he might.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

April 3, 2015 8:24 pm  #692

I Think it's implied Mycroft is having a non-involving sex life.

April 3, 2015 8:30 pm  #693

What do you mean by that?

April 3, 2015 8:36 pm  #694

Sex yes, love no.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 3, 2015 8:42 pm  #695

Schmiezi wrote:

Sex yes, love no.

exactly , it seems that Mycroft only has sex-goldfish. Maybe he has been in love in the past ( I still Wonder about his wedding band) but now, he doesn't get involved.

April 3, 2015 9:05 pm  #696

Schmiezi wrote:

Sex yes, love no.

agreed

April 3, 2015 9:06 pm  #697

Is there any indication in the series that Mycroft has sex?

Team Hudders!

April 3, 2015 9:57 pm  #698

He makes a comment about Sherlock being alarmed at the thought of sex in SIB, Sherlock deflects that sex does not alarm him and Mycroft asks “How would you know?”. If that would have been a case of the pot calling the kettle black than Sherlock would have surely called him out on it, but he doesn’t. In TSoT Sherlock phones Mycroft and upon finding him breathing heavily, asks if he has found him in a compromising position or working out, adding that he hopes for the later. Why would Sherlock say it like that if there was not at least the possibility of finding Mycroft “in a compromising situation”?

April 4, 2015 8:19 am  #699

If I remember correctly, he doesn't say that he hopes it's the latter, but that he assumes it's the latter (implied that the chance of it being the former is very low). Also, in their deduction scene of the hat in TEH, Sherlock snarks about Mycroft having probably never even talked to a woman. And, of course, the whole point of that scene (How would Mycroft know if he was lonely or not). 

Mycroft seem even more isolated and distant from his emotions than Sherlock. Sherlock does open up and allow a small circle of friends, something Mycroft won't even consider. 

So to me, I get the impression that Mycroft is probably even further removed from sex than Sherlock is. 

Team Hudders!

April 4, 2015 9:02 am  #700

Vhanja wrote:

If I remember correctly, he doesn't say that he hopes it's the latter, but that he assumes it's the latter (implied that the chance of it being the former is very low).

I did a quick re-watch, he said “I favour the later [working out again]”

Vhanja wrote:

Also, in their deduction scene of the hat in TEH, Sherlock snarks about Mycroft having probably never even talked to a woman.  

But Mycroft can have sex without ever talking to a woman, can’t he? 
Edit: ALso, we know Mycroft has talked to women (Mrs. Hudson, Irene, "Athena", likely Mary and Molly, possibly the Queen)

Vhanja wrote:

And, of course, the whole point of that scene (How would Mycroft know if he was lonely or not). 
Mycroft seem even more isolated and distant from his emotions than Sherlock. Sherlock does open up and allow a small circle of friends, something Mycroft won't even consider. 

So to me, I get the impression that Mycroft is probably even further removed from sex than Sherlock is. 

Mycroft surely is further form having a functional emotional relationship with anyone than Sherlock is, I completely agree with you there. But that does not have to have implications for his sex life. As Madonna once put it “Sex is not love, love it not sex”. Plenty of people have consensual sex with each other without the addition of an emotional bond.

Last edited by Lola Red (April 4, 2015 9:11 am)

Board footera