BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2015 1:08 am  #1

North and South

I know I'm getting old, but I know that there are people on this board older than me ( ;) ).

Do any of you remember the absolute amazing US mini-series North and South from the 80s? For those who don't, I can't recommend this series enough.

It was an epic drama of 12 episodes, each being 1,5 hours long, detailing the US civil war. I'm from Norway, and everything I know about the civil war I learned from this series. It had the most amazing all star cast, with people like:

Patrick Swayze
David Carradine
Kirstie Alley
Elisabeth Taylor
Lesley-Ann Down
Johnny Cash (Yes, The Johnny Cash)
Hal Holbrook
Gene Kelly
David Odgen Stiers
Forest Whitaker

And loads of others. Patrick Swayze was my first celeb crush (may he rest in peace), and I still think this is the best role he ever did. Epic family drama that starts a few years before civil war, with two families (one from the South and one from the North) struggling to keep a friendship throughout the war and after. Mostly it's about the two friends Orry Main (Patrick Swayze) from the South and George Hazard (James Read) from the North, and how they deal with the country tearing themselves, and everybody around them, apart. And how they have to meet each other as "enemies" on the battleground, because the governments have said so. 

Fanmade tribute/trailer of Book 1 (first six episodes)

Opening credits of Book 1, that alone was more epic than most stuff seen today:

Last edited by Vhanja (April 1, 2015 1:28 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 1, 2015 7:41 pm  #2

Re: North and South

And let's not forget Jonathan "Number One" Frakes.

I was a teenager when it aired in Germany.I had a serious crush on both James Read and Wendy Kilbourne.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 1, 2015 8:43 pm  #3

Schmiezi wrote:

And let's not forget Jonathan "Number One" Frakes.

I really hated him as George's brother, he was such an ****.

Schmiezi wrote:

I was a teenager when it aired in Germany.I had a serious crush on both James Read and Wendy Kilbourne.

Pretty much the same here. I was a huge Patrick Swayze fan and absolutely loved him in this. But I also liked James Read very, very much, and their character's friendship was quite special. I think it's been about two years ago that I bought the DVD box of the series, it was almost like travelling back in time to watch it again after such a long time.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 2, 2015 4:33 pm  #4

Oh, you can watch it on youtube.

I feel like a teenager again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 2, 2015 4:36 pm  #5

Yeah, there are tons of videos on YouTube. I got the series on DVD, but had it taped on VHS when it aired again in the early 90s, and I saw the episodes so often that I still know a lot of the dialogue by heart. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera