BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2015 9:25 pm  #1

Poet Richard Siken

Tumblr has been bouncing with joy about the fact that Richard Silken had joined.  Now I admit I had not heard of him before today.  But Iwas fascinated so I looked him up.Richard Siken is an American poet, painter and filmmaker. He is the author of the collection Crush (Yale University Press, 2005), which won the Yale Series of Younger Poets Competition in 2004. His second book of poems, War of the Foxes, is forthcoming from Copper Canyon Press in early 2015.Siken received a Literature Fellowship in Poetry from the National Endowment for the Arts, and his book Crush was awarded the Lambda Literary Award for "Gay Men's Poetry" in 2005,[1][/url] and the Thom Gunn Award from Publishing Triangle. The 1991 death of his boyfriend influenced his writing of the book.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Siken#cite_note-tucson-2][2][/url]Siken currently lives in [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucson,_Arizona]Tucson, Arizona.

Apparently Mr. Siken is very popular with Johnlockers and has inspired a lot of them.  Regardless, after reading a couple of his poems I'll be ordering his book very soon.

CRUSH
http://www.amazon.com/Crush-Younger-Poets-Richard-Siken/dp/0300107897/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427649871&sr=1-3&keywords=richard+siken

Here's a sample.
Litany in Which Certain Things Are Crossed Out
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/177722

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 30, 2015 8:43 am  #2

Re: Poet Richard Siken

His tumblr turned out hilarious on late 29th 

Last edited by Harriet (March 30, 2015 8:44 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 30, 2015 8:52 am  #3

I ordered "Crush" and I am looking forward to it very much. The same goes for his future fanfics. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 30, 2015 1:04 pm  #4

I'm very impressed already with what I've read.   Can't believe I had not run across mention of him in the fandom before.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 31, 2015 12:00 pm  #5

That sounds interesting. Will have a look on his tumblr. And please let us know about "Crush". Already put it on my list.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 31, 2015 12:23 pm  #6

Isn't it wondeful the new things, music, books, movies, we have all discovered just because of the Sherlock fandom.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 31, 2015 12:25 pm  #7

Amazing. All the books and plays I read because of this: Edward St Aubyn, various Holmes pastiches, lots and lots of fanfic (ahem), The Yellow Birds, Lost City of Z, the Turing books ...

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 31, 2015 12:34 pm  #8

Yeah, that's amazing. Plays and books I wouldn't have considered before.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

March 31, 2015 12:46 pm  #9

And this is why I will argue with anyone who thinks fandoms are silly and a waste of time.
Of course there is silliness.  Who doesn't love some silliness.  But often even the silliness is smart and creative.

It's the same as what I said about looking down on people who are going to see Hamlet just because of Benedict.  I had someone give me grief about watching a certain movie "just because Benedict is in it."  I said, so what.  It's a very good movie and I might not have discovered it ever if not for my interest in BC.  Why is that a less valid way of discovering something than any other way?!?

Just never know when I'm going to find myself on a soapbox.  *giggle*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 31, 2015 12:59 pm  #10

Lovely speech, dear. I will sign it at once. 

March 31, 2015 1:06 pm  #11

I know you're shocked to find I hold such strong opinions. 

Last edited by tonnaree (March 31, 2015 1:07 pm)

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 31, 2015 1:16 pm  #12

Indeed. 

March 31, 2015 1:17 pm  #13

What can I say???

(Tony Hadley)

March 31, 2015 1:46 pm  #14

Agreed tonnaree.
From what I've read of Richard Siken so far, I can say I like it very much. It doesn't stick with my definition of poetry, or at least how it is structured. But the way it is written, the various imageries and the impact on the reader are there. It's not just words for words' sake. They actually have a meaning, and a strong one at that.
(Shame I'm trying to balance my budget and save up money for Sherlocked, otherwise I'd bought Crush immediately. I  suppose it can wait a month...what with all the fanfictions out there^^).

I'm really glad to have discovered yet another author, and pleased he joined the fandom.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 10, 2015 3:19 pm  #15

I read "Crush" and like it very much. Not the thing you read only once and understand completely. Many things are enigmatic and need to be contemplated. Beautiful language, strong images, and indeed - if you read the poems with Sherlock in mind there are some striking parallles. Here is one of my favourite quotes:

“There’s a niche in his chest where a heart would fit perfectly and he thinks if he could just maneuver one into place - well then, game over.”
(from 'Road Music')

P.S. According to his tumblr blog he is goind to post his Johnlock fanfic on AO3 soon.  

Last edited by SusiGo (April 10, 2015 3:21 pm)

April 10, 2015 6:35 pm  #16

*swoon*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 10, 2015 8:43 pm  #17

My post # 8000 to honour him - am so looking forward to his fic 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 10, 2015 8:50 pm  #18

Congrats, Harriet, what a worthy occasion. 

April 11, 2015 1:40 pm  #19

*high fives Harriet*

I just went ahead and ordered Crush.   His new one is out now too.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 13, 2015 8:31 am  #20

SusiGo wrote:

I
“There’s a niche in his chest where a heart would fit perfectly and he thinks if he could just maneuver one into place - well then, game over.”
(from 'Road Music')

Wow! That's so beautiful.

Do you think it's also something for me? Though my English skills are not that ...

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera