BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2014 1:44 am  #1

"moving back in"

There was a line, spoken by John, which I didn't hear clearly: something to do with "thinking about moving back in." I'm not even sure where they were at the time...maybe Baker Street?

February 9, 2014 1:47 am  #2

Re: "moving back in"

Is this the 'moving John's chair back into the room bit of HLV?

Last edited by Willow (February 9, 2014 1:49 am)

February 9, 2014 10:48 am  #3

I think you mean the scene where John, Lestrade and Mrs Hudson are at 221b, talking about Sherlock's disappearence. Then Lestrade leaves and John sits down in his chair, suddenly realising that it's back where it used to be. He then says to Mrs Hudson: 'Why does Sherlock think I'm moving back in?'
It is likely that John did move back in after the confrontation with Mary, it is not directly stated but implied that he lived in 221b during the time in which Sherlock was in hospital and the Christmas dinner, where Mary says they hadn't spoken in months.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 9, 2014 8:06 pm  #4

Lily wrote:

I think you mean the scene where John, Lestrade and Mrs Hudson are at 221b, talking about Sherlock's disappearence. Then Lestrade leaves and John sits down in his chair, suddenly realising that it's back where it used to be. He then says to Mrs Hudson: 'Why does Sherlock think I'm moving back in?'
It is likely that John did move back in after the confrontation with Mary, it is not directly stated but implied that he lived in 221b during the time in which Sherlock was in hospital and the Christmas dinner, where Mary says they hadn't spoken in months.

Indeed, John starts that conversation by enquiring "So, are you OK?" which would be bonkers if they had been living together...

February 15, 2014 1:48 pm  #5

I agree he likely moved back in but his chair back in place coupled  with the strategically placed Claire de la lune perfume was meant to be a clue to Watson.

If was Mary.

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

February 15, 2014 3:24 pm  #6

Willow wrote:

Lily wrote:

Indeed, John starts that conversation by enquiring "So, are you OK?" which would be bonkers if they had been living together...

Mary also says something like, "Oh, so we're doing 'conversation' now, are we?" That, to me, indicated that John moved back in with Sherlock for the time being after the Mary-is-an-assassin reveal. It's certainly possible that they're living together but not talking, but the clues they left seemed to point to the fact that John temporarily moved back into Baker Street.

February 16, 2014 2:16 am  #7

TeeJay wrote:

Willow wrote:

Lily wrote:

Mary also says something like, "Oh, so we're doing 'conversation' now, are we?" That, to me, indicated that John moved back in with Sherlock for the time being after the Mary-is-an-assassin reveal. It's certainly possible that they're living together but not talking, but the clues they left seemed to point to the fact that John temporarily moved back into Baker Street.

I think it would be much easier to move elsewhere than live in a flat with someone and not talk for months. The Christmas scene wouldn't make much sense if he had access to Mary via living with her.

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

March 26, 2015 8:10 pm  #8

I just read two interesting theories about John´s whereabouts before Christmas here:

http://marta-bee.tumblr.com/post/114678679438/ithememacat-milarvela-yes-i-know-that-mark

I must say, none of them has entirely persuaded me, still, they are interesting - I am very puzzled about this aspect of HLV myself. I noticed that the story itself left this question entirely in the dark.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 26, 2015 8:33 pm  #9

Hm, never thought about where where John was during those months. I figured that if he moved back to 221B that would be mentioned or showed in some way. The entire period between Sherlock's collapse and Christmas is blanked over completely. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 26, 2015 8:36 pm  #10

Is it possible that he indeed remained with Mary? Cannot quite imagine it...

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 26, 2015 8:39 pm  #11

I have no idea. It does seem a bit off that he would rent some other apartment when 221B was available. But it seems similarily off that he would move back into 221B without it being shown in the show.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 26, 2015 8:43 pm  #12

Exatly. It´s maddening, this strange "black-hole" in the story.

March 26, 2015 11:19 pm  #13

I am of a mind that John did relocate to 221B. He most probably did not go back to solving crimes with Sherlock or we would have seen it/it would have been mentioned but more probably visiting him in the hospital. The fact he needed to be away from Mary is also quite a strong reason, in my opinion.
As for living with Mary...I can't imagine him keeping on living with her, even if he slept in a spare room. But I can't imagine him being completely estranged, either, because of Mary's pregnancy. He would certainly want to check on it. Now the question is "how?" if they "didn't do conversation"...
Maybe John had truly left his house in the outskirts of London and checked on Mary's medical files...it wouldn't be too farfetched to assume Mycroft would have abducted him once in a while ("for fish and chips") as he too wanted to check on Sherlock's recovery (without being as obvious as visiting him in the hospital. Or, you know, talking about how he felt*). I suppose that John had made a deal with Mycroft along the lines of "I will pass information on your brother's recovery to you, provided you grant me access to Mary's medical files".
But then again...Mycroft has many (unlimited?) ways to spy (check!) on people, so why bother with adbucting John for that...? Flair for the dramatics? Maybe he thought it might help hide the fact he wanted reports on Sherlock's emotional state, from someone emotionally connected to him? Hmmm...after all, he did say in HLV that "[his] loss would break [his] heart"...

*talking about both Holmes here.

(I don't even know if I'm making any sense here, I profoundly apologise if I am not -damn you, transport!)

Last edited by Lilythiell (March 27, 2015 12:59 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 26, 2015 11:46 pm  #14

I don't know... When Mary said "Oh! Are we doing conversation today?" I took that to mean that they hadn't had any real conversation, that perhaps there had been frosty silences and perfunctory words between them. Just the bare minimum. So I assumed they'd been living together but not on friendly terms. John asked if she was okay, because even though they were living in the same house, he hadn't shown any interest in knowing until now. "Months of silence" doesn't have to be taken literally in my interpretation. I'm sure John would have spent a lot of time around at 221B though.

If they weren't living together, why would Mary have been invited to the Holmes' for Christmas?

Last edited by ukaunz (March 26, 2015 11:49 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 27, 2015 12:12 am  #15

Well, I assume Mr. and Mrs. Holmes did not know of any kind of separation. I gather they were more intent on worrying about their son's health than John's marriage, to be honest.
Even if Mrs. Holmes is a genius, and would have noticed were she so inclined to spend time with John (who broke his heart, but that's another story) and/or Mary (who shot him...but surely Mrs. Holmes would have deduced that and "turned absolutely monstruous"?), why would she have taken an interest in anyone else but her very badly injured son who actually died while still on the table?

While I agree with the occasional shallow verbal exchanges, I find it hard to imagine John continuing living with Mary in that case -he has quite a good reason to be angry at her.
Although not on the same level, we have to take into account the similarity with his relationship with Harry: he has one major reason to be angry at her, too.
Now, he's not financially helpless, I don't think, but emotionally hurt and betrayed. I think we could compare this emotional state due to Mary's behaviour to Harry's (though to a lesser degree, I expect).

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 27, 2015 2:43 am  #16

Very good points Lily. I just wish Moftiss had given us more clues!

Last edited by ukaunz (March 27, 2015 2:43 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 28, 2015 1:17 pm  #17

Thought this was relevant. The game Sherlock the network most probably takes place during this time betwen the Watson separation. John is wearing his wedding ring but no mention of Mary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

March 28, 2015 1:23 pm  #18

I had not noticed this. (then again, I didn't have access to the videos. My phone is lame).

John seems to me the kind of person who will make every effort possible to make things work. He can't live with his wife due to her betrayal, but he most probably still want to consider her as his wife, and I assume that's why he is still wearing his ring.

-Lily

March 28, 2015 1:35 pm  #19

Could it be just an error from the makers of the game? Meaning that the scenes for the game at a similar time as Martin would have worn the ring in the series, and they simply forgot about it? 

Team Hudders!

March 28, 2015 1:54 pm  #20

Well, obviously it could, but I think Martin at the very least would have remembered it.
I'd rather think it was not an omission, giving us more possibilities to explore John's psyche

-Lily

Board footera