BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2013 9:30 am  #121

Re: All Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories.

Jacco111 wrote:

the_dancing_woman wrote:

I reread "the blanched soldier" yesterday. Yes, not having John Watson around is odd, as we all know he is the voice of the heart translating Holmes to make him accessible to normal people.
But I enjoyed the journey into Holmes' mind, wouldn't mind having a few more stories related by SH himself for a bit of first hand information on the workings of his brain .
But on the long run, it definitely wouldn't have worked at all had Conan Doyle had Sherlock Holmes narrate his own adventures. Conan Doyle truly was a genius in realising that right from the start and creating John Watson right along with Holmes.

I am reading "the adventure of the Mazarin stone" at the moment

This is actually one of my favorite stories, it is way underrated in my opinion.

Which one, "The Mazarin Stone" or "The Blanched Soldier"?

Kitty, I have just finished "The Three Garridebs", not as much time for reading at the moment, as I would love to have. I am hoping to catch up on it a bit tonight.
(And I have already ordered three other Holmes related books, dear me, but my holiday is already looming at the horizon, hopefully plenty of time for reading then)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

September 5, 2013 12:50 am  #122

Read The Veiled Lodger. Not really exciting, since it's not much of a case. But interesting anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

September 7, 2013 11:22 am  #123

Which one, "The Mazarin Stone" or "The Blanched Soldier"?

Kitty, I have just finished "The Three Garridebs", not as much time for reading at the moment, as I would love to have. I am hoping to catch up on it a bit tonight.
(And I have already ordered three other Holmes related books, dear me, but my holiday is already looming at the horizon, hopefully plenty of time for reading then)

The Blanched Soldier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

September 8, 2013 12:43 am  #124

Just read the last two stories, Shoscombe Old Place and Retired Colourman.

Both nice little mysteries, kind of sad I'm done now...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

September 8, 2013 2:10 am  #125

Congrats kitty What about a Top Ten list for the favourite ones and also making a list of the least favourites?

April 27, 2014 7:26 pm  #126

Dramagod, thank you for starting this thread. I've been reading ACD's works for 5 over 50 years. (Yes, that's fifty years.) I adore Sherlock, but had approached it with great trepidation. I feared that Mofftis would ruin it. But how wrong I was! Sherlock hits the perfect pitch. The original stories stand up well in their own right.

July 3, 2014 7:45 pm  #127

I've read A Study in Scarlet (I loved it.) The sign of the Four, The Adventures of Sherlock Homles (loved the collection), The Memoirs of Sherlock Homles (I didn't enjoy the stories as much as the Adventures). I am reading The Return of Sherlock Homles. 

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

July 3, 2014 8:07 pm  #128

So glad to have found this thread! I noticed there was a book club discussing the ACD stories, but it seems to be defunct?  I bought the full collection years ago, but hadn't got round to reading them, and now I've started I've found I'm out of order.  I've enjoyed what I've read so far.  I love trying to guess! 

July 4, 2014 2:39 pm  #129

The more familiar one is with Conan Doyle's original Sherlock, the more one realizes that Gaftis (???) are rabid ACD fans. There are many reference in "Sherlock" to the ACD stories. The references are inserted as "throw away" bits. Blink and you'll miss them. Those of us who have read (and still read) the original ACD Sherlock stories are lucky to be in on the joke.

"I am lost without my Boswell" - "A Scandal in Bohemia" by Conan Doyle
"I am lost without my blogger" - "The Great Game" Gaftiss

July 4, 2014 6:49 pm  #130

You are right. Moftiss are often criticised for their writing and yet their critics do not realise how many references to canon and skillfully constructed inside jokes are intervowen with the main action in Sherlock. They are creating the entirely new story and yet their are also very true to the original. I enjoy that immensely.

My favourite references are:

„…when I find a man who keeps his cigars in the coal-scuttle, his tobacco in the toe end of a Persian slipper, and his unanswered correspondence transfixed by a jack-knife into the very centre of his wooden mantelpiece, then I begin to give myself virtuous airs. I have always held, too, that pistol practice should be distinctly an open-air pastime; and when Holmes, in one of his queer humours, would sit in an armchair with his hair trigger and a hundred Boxer cartridges and proceed to adorn the opposite wall with a patriotic „V. R.“ done in bullet-pocks, I felt strongly that neither the atmosphere nor the appearance of our room was improved by it.“ ACD – „The Musgrave Ritual“, the description of Sherlock´s untidy habits.

We saw most of these in BBC Sherlock too: shooting of a wall in TGG, Sherlock sticking a jack-knife into his correspondence in ASiP (when he was showing John their flat), Sherlock searching for his cigarettes in slipers in ThoB.

There I was struck on the shoulder by a Jezail bullet, which shattered the bone and grazed the subclavian artery.“ ACD – „A Study in Scarlett“, description of John´s injury.
I made no remark however, but sat nursing my wounded leg. I had a Jezail bullet through it some time before…“ ACD – „The Sign of Four“, another description of John´s injury, completely diferent from the previous narrative.

BBC version ingeniously blended both descriptions into one: John was shot into his hand, but has a psychosomatic limp and feels pain in his leg.

It was very sweet of you to come. Now, you must have some wine and water, and sit here comfortably and tell us all about it. Or should you rather that I sent James off to bed?“ ACD – „The Man with the Twisted Lip“, Mary Morstan´s dialogue with her neighbour Katie Whitney whose junkie husband disappeared in a drug den. „James“ referred here in actually John Watson – it seems Mary doesn´t know how her husband´s called.

Sherlockians of the past were puzzled why Mary called John „James“ here. The detective writer Dorothy Sayers then came with a neat solution: the full name of John is „John H. Watson“. So H. must mean „Hamish“ which is a Scottish form of „James“. Thus, John can be called James and it wouldn´t be a mistake.

BBC not only used the name John Hamish Watson, but in TEH, Mary also received the text that asked her: „John or James?“

"Holmes is a little too scientific for my tastes -- it approaches to cold-bloodedness. I could imagine his giving a friend a little pinch of the latest vegetable alkaloid, not out of malevolence, you understand, but simply out of a spirit of inquiry in order to have an accurate idea of the effects.“ ACD – „A Study in Scarlett“, Stamford describing Holmes to John.

„Cofee, I made cofee“, anyone?

"Yes, but it may be pushed to excess. When it comes to beating the subjects in the dissecting-rooms with a stick, it is certainly taking rather a bizarre shape."
"Beating the subjects!"
"Yes, to verify how far bruises may be produced after death. I saw him at it with my own eyes." ACD – „A Study in Scarlett“, Stamford describing Holmes to John some more. Needs no comment.

When Mrs. Turner has brought in the tray I will make it clear to you.“ ACD – „A Scandal in Bohemia“, where Mrs. Hudson is mysteriously called Mrs. Turner.

BBC Mrs. Hudson always mentions Mrs. Turner, her neighbour that has two registered gays as her lodgers, which is a cheeky inside joke. Initially, when Mrs. Hudson was writing comments on John´s blog, she was always stated as „Mrs. Turner“, because she apparently used her neighbours PC.

Among these unfinished tales is that of Mr. James Phillimore, who, stepping back into his own house to get his umbrella, was never more seen in this world.“ ACD – „The Problem of Thor Bridge“, where John describes some Sherlock´s cases.

In BBC´s „Study in Pink“, the boy who is one of the cabbie´s victims is called James Phillimore. Last time we see him, he is returning home to fetch his umbrella.

And there are many, many more references, not just to canon, but to the original illustrations of Sidney Paget, to SH film adaptations and pastiches and even to fanfiction. Beautiful work!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 4, 2014 9:23 pm  #131

Thank you for pointing those out!  I'm reading the books now and will have to keep an eye out for any references (I've already spotted a couple ). 

I didn't realise there were references to fan fiction - that's great!  Although I did feel that some of the references to Sherlock and John being a couple were because they are just such such obvious characters for slash fiction. 

July 5, 2014 12:15 am  #132

Liberty, you are in for loads of fun! As someone who has read these stories for fifty plus years, I get a real thrill when obscure references to the canon come up. It's like being a member of a secret society and having a special handshake.

Two more to add to the pile:

The Adventure of the Naval Treaty (ACD)  The Navel Treatment (Sherlock)
The Adventure of the Speckled Band (ACD) The Case of the Speckled Blonde (Sherlock)

Cheers!

July 7, 2014 1:39 pm  #133

These posts are really useful. Thank you for the references.

August 28, 2014 3:11 pm  #134

I'm reading The Hounds of the Baskervilles.

March 20, 2015 6:05 pm  #135

I love this thread.  I plan to start reading the canon stories, or listening to them.  Any suggestions about a first story for an absolute beginner?  Should I go in the order of how they were written?

Steven Moffat: Season four is “going to be … [about] consequences. Chickens come to roost ... Things … coming back to bite you.”

March 20, 2015 9:02 pm  #136

I've never read any ACD before watching Sherlock, and I thought I would start from the start. So I am listening to A Study in Scarlet, in between reading other books (and watching a lot of shows/movies with BC in them), so it's taking me a while to get through it. The problem with that is, A Study in Scarlet is almost broken into two stories. You get the scene where Holmes and Watson meet, they move in, and they investigate their first case together. Then the story switches to a completely different time and place and follows other characters for several years, before finally returning to Holmes and Watson and the explanation. By the time I'd gotten to that, I felt I needed to go back and listen to the first part again

I will definitely read/listen to more of the Canon, I'm enjoying spotting all the bits that Moftiss reference in Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 21, 2015 7:45 am  #137

I've read it in the "right" order, they way they were written, and it worked for me.

edit: No, now I remember: I made a little break while reading "The valley of fear"and included a few of the much shorter stories because that novel is not the most thrilling thing in the world IMO.

Last edited by Schmiezi (March 21, 2015 7:48 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 21, 2015 9:42 am  #138

The book I borrowed from the library (Complete Illustrated Sherlock Holmes) has the first story as A Study In Scarlet, is this not the first in written order? I'll have to google it I guess. I just finished reading it this evening (actually I was listening to another audio version while I cooked dinner). Next up in the printed edition is The Sign of Four.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 21, 2015 2:30 pm  #139

It's great fun to read Arthur Conan Doyle. He was a wonderful writer, and like Thakeray often worked on his next installment as a messenger was waiting at the door to bring his work to the printers. (Well, that's the legend.)

Enjoy yourself.

March 21, 2015 6:37 pm  #140

ukaunz wrote:

The book I borrowed from the library (Complete Illustrated Sherlock Holmes) has the first story as A Study In Scarlet, is this not the first in written order? I'll have to google it I guess. I just finished reading it this evening (actually I was listening to another audio version while I cooked dinner). Next up in the printed edition is The Sign of Four.

I googled the written order: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_of_Sherlock_Holmes

I also found a link to free audiobooks of the whole canon:
http://www.sherlockian-sherlock.com/sherlock-holmes-complete-audiobook.php

Steven Moffat: Season four is “going to be … [about] consequences. Chickens come to roost ... Things … coming back to bite you.”

Board footera