BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2015 7:23 am  #41

Re: Sir Ian McKellen to play retired Sherlock Holmes

Another Sherlock movie withour Watson? No thanks. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

March 5, 2015 2:47 pm  #42

tykobrian wrote:

Another Sherlock movie withour Watson? No thanks. 

IMDb lists an actor to play Watson. Okay, IMDb is not the most reliable source, but still.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 27, 2015 5:39 pm  #43

Oh… dear…  Oh dear…      

On the eve of Doyle's 156th birthday, no less (happy belated cheers!), his estate filed another copyright suit again.  (Pardon memory, wasn't the last time we were talking on here about being surprised/disappointed in them for choice of legal actions, involved the well-known Leslie Klinger's compilation of stories by modern-day authors, simply to get licensing fees? or I think there was another one, too)  And the results effectively determined that Sherlock Holmes was pretty much public domain at that point, except for the later 10 works still under copyright (which dealt mostly with an older/retired Holmes).  You can probably see where this is going, then, related to a certain movie in production. 

Articles that explain it all better:
http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/sherlock-holmes-lawsuit-creator-estate-sues-miramax-mr-holmes-1201503941/
http://www.ihearofsherlock.com/2015/05/conan-doyle-estate-sues-mr-holmes.html#.VWXlget97zK
http://deadline.com/2015/05/mr-holmes-lawsuit-arthur-conan-doyle-estate-sues-bill-condon-1201431854/

Basically:
“This action for copyright infringement arises from unauthorized copying by Mitch Cullin—in his novel A Slight Trick of the Mind and in the motion picture Mr. Holmes based on the novel—of original Sherlock Holmes stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Conan Doyle),” says the jury trial seeking May 21 filing in District court in New Mexico (read it here). “The remaining defendants have participated in copying these protected stories in the infringing movie, have published and distributed the infringing novel and motion picture, and have titled the movie so as to confuse consumers and unfairly trade on CDEL’s goodwill.”

So just because the film is based on an older Holmes (and they claim Cullin's original book is also at fault, and even 'lifted' some material from the stories??), they don't want the movie being made.  Err, I'm sorry, but Cullin's book was written back in 2005.  How come they didn't fuss about it then?  Or any time earlier than now, when they first heard of the movie being made?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 27, 2015 7:12 pm  #44

Also, the movie has already been made....it's due for release in June so....are they going to try and stop them releasing it???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 27, 2015 9:48 pm  #45

I think their point is not to stop the release, but rather to get money from something that is likely gonna be successful.

Last edited by NatureNoHumansNo (May 28, 2015 7:54 am)

May 28, 2015 2:33 am  #46

Exactly.  Which is what it sounded like the gist of their thing was with the other time they sued that got big headlines, with Klinger and his compilation. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 28, 2015 8:57 am  #47

The Conan Doyle estate are an embarrassment to Sherlock Holmes fans.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 28, 2015 9:45 am  #48

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

The Conan Doyle estate are an embarrassment to Sherlock Holmes fans.

Definitly
That's a paradox how we can love an author and hate his heirs.

May 28, 2015 10:14 am  #49

They do it at every opportunity. Just money grabbers.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 12, 2015 3:34 pm  #50

Here are two pics from the London premiere.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 20, 2015 12:03 pm  #51

Saw 'Mr Holmes' over the weekend.  Really enjoyed it.

July 20, 2015 12:33 pm  #52

SolarSystem wrote:

Here are two pics from the London premiere.

Those two!  I love them so much.  They should just get married and be done with it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 23, 2015 2:11 am  #53

I can't wait! Ian McKellan is a treasure-- and I think he can bring a certian measure of humor, dignity to the character of Sherlock Holmes-- and maybe restore affection for him. From what I've seen in previews-- the movie looks lovely-- and it seems to be a bit of a character piece. So may other adaptations in the last 20 years have had fun, compelling takes on Sherlock-- but they spoofed him, and didn't really treat him like a 'real person'. 

I think Ian McKellan can bring something new to the character that we've never really seen before. 

And, I don't have a problem that it's not "all about Watson's interpretation of Sherlock Holmes's character" , for once. We've had at least 50 years of it in film. A new take could be really cool. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (July 23, 2015 2:14 am)

November 8, 2015 3:08 pm  #54

This movie was so bittersweet, very well done and a spectaular performance (as expected) from Sir Ian McKellan!

November 10, 2015 3:03 am  #55

So, it seems that Sir Ian McKellen can play more than Middle-earth wizards. =)

November 10, 2015 6:38 am  #56

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 13, 2015 10:52 am  #57

kgreen20 wrote:

So, it seems that Sir Ian McKellen can play more than Middle-earth wizards. =)

Well, he had a long and distinguished career before the "Middle-earth wizards. Suppose he was not knighted for playing Gandalf. 

I just watched the film on DVD and liked it very much. It was suffused with a feeling of sadness and wistfulness. Beautiful images of the landscape, the eerie Hiroshima scene, the moving interaction between Roger and Holmes will stay in the mind. And Ian McKellen was at his usual best. A very different take on Sherlock Holmes and really worth watching. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 13, 2015 3:41 pm  #58

Yep.  Need to see this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 13, 2015 7:14 pm  #59

"Not knighted for playing Gandalf", Susi???? 

I loved the movie, too. Very atmospheric, often surprising, beautiful.
And, bonus:

Rather happy ending 

Last edited by Harriet (December 13, 2015 7:16 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 14, 2015 12:06 pm  #60

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera