BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2015 7:11 pm  #341

Re: Benedict's Engagement

Yes and of course it is just speculation at the moment.
Shame it's always the Daily Mail...
Yet they have been right evey time so far.
Deliberate leaks?
We know they're going to marry, when and where is irrelevant to me.
Though I do have to laugh at the traditional thing...I guess it is quite traditional to walk up the aisle pregnant!

Last edited by besleybean (January 23, 2015 7:12 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 24, 2015 7:50 am  #342

I'm just putting this here. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 24, 2015 8:55 am  #343

Aw...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 24, 2015 10:11 am  #344

Lovely. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 24, 2015 11:15 am  #345

Those two together just makes me so happy! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 24, 2015 1:13 pm  #346

As long as they both happy that's all that matters.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

January 24, 2015 3:16 pm  #347

Vhanja wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

Harriet wrote:

Sorry but this concept of "honour" makes me as a woman kind of sick.

Not me. At least here in the US, marriage protects the woman, legally and financially. And I don't think the idea of honor is old-fashioned. It  might be an ancient idea, but sometimes ancient things, the things that last, are the best. Hey, I'm an ancient thing, I ought to know!  heh

This sentence makes me into a blood red feminist. But I guess that is because I come from Norway, where women can fend for themselves legally and financially, and it's been decades since they needed a man and a marriage to do that for them. Just the very idea of such a thing makes me ill. 

I suppose the sex doesn't matter so much - but what marriage does address (in the UK) is the financial imbalance if a couple split up.    Often one partner (traditionally, it usually has been a woman, here in the UK, but not always) has taken some financial loss by giving up work to contribute to the household in other ways. It can be a substantial financial loss to give up work to provide childcare, to avoid promotions because they don't fit in with the other partners job, to give up a career to be with them, etc.).   I believe marriage still gives some protection for that person.  Cohabiting couples have no protection at all.

I don't think there is much other financial benefit from marriage, though, and no legal need to do it to have children any more.  Oddly enough, the most compelling legal/financial reason to get married seems to be forward planning for divorce!   And maybe it's kind of romantic, that by marrying, people are saying "I'm prepared to always support you financially, even if we're no longer together".

January 24, 2015 7:15 pm  #348

Wow, I don't think anything financial is romantic in any way at all...

January 25, 2015 2:40 am  #349

besleybean wrote:

Wow, I don't think anything financial is romantic in any way at all...

But it can be. As the two partners work hard, take care of business, save some of what they earn, provide for any children, etc., well....  that's all part of an established relationship. Seems to me, a lack of financial provision on one or both of the partners' parts would be a distinct wet blanket on any "romance".

Ben strikes me as just old-fashioned enough that he'd deeply care about standing up tall for his partner, doing the right thing, supporting her in every way, and yes, that includes financially. And IMO it'd be nice if she'd do the same for him. None of our business of course. Again, it's all speculation, until either of them decides to speak about it publicly.

January 25, 2015 8:07 am  #350

I don't know how it is in Britain, but being married makes also father's legal position stronger as far as the child is concerned and it grants some legal privileges to the child.
And leaving aside questions such as honour, protection etc. I think that man's willingness to commit themselves formally is always a positive signal for a woman. I bet Amanda Abbington wouldn't be awerse to marry Martin Freeman, all considering.

January 25, 2015 8:43 am  #351

On the contrary, I think she is averse to the institution...one of the things I like best about her.
She would have a stronger claim on the kids anyway...
Men do suffer, you are right...
But I'm not sure being married helps this.
Courts generally rule in favour of mothers.

Last edited by besleybean (January 25, 2015 8:43 am)

January 25, 2015 11:16 pm  #352

I'm really happy for both of them. I mean, we love Ben and want him to be happy. So if Sophie makes him happy then it's all good ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 26, 2015 3:17 am  #353

kittykat wrote:

I'm really happy for both of them. I mean, we love Ben and want him to be happy. So if Sophie makes him happy then it's all good ^^

^^^^
Ditto to what kittykat said!

Can't improve on that comment at all.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

March 3, 2015 7:10 am  #354

Ivy wrote:

Has this been posted already? Conan sidekick Andy is really upset that Benedict got engaged. It's brilliant.
I like that someone makes fun of the so-called fans that are angry that Ben obviously isn't going to marry them. *LOL*

http://teamcoco.com/video/benedict-cumberbatch-engagement

That was flippin' hilarious 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 3, 2015 8:36 am  #355

Ivy wrote:

She's definitely a smart cookie, maybe even more than Ben.

I like the summary of "Entertainment weekly" to the engagement:

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2014/11/05/benedict-cumberbatch-to-be-married/

"Tumblr boyfriend" though? What exactly does that mean?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 3, 2015 9:04 am  #356

I think it doesn't mean anything serious, it makes a bit of a laugh that Ben is one of the most tagged names on tumblr, not taking his serious acting work into account. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 3, 2015 3:10 pm  #357

Also perhaps it turns things around - quite often Benedict's achievements are praised and hers are forgotten 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 9, 2015 11:27 pm  #358

Awful! I mostly ignore the hater´s antics, but this is beyond disturbing:

http://elenazinbeil.tumblr.com/post/112872673872/the-right-of-intervention-project-open-letter

A deluded, almost 50-years old stalker (so no some inexperienced teenage girl), feels entitled to "intervene" on Benedict behalf and save him from himself by forcing him to do some weird stuff. She and her cronies want to attend Sherlocked con and give him some "open letter" with their "demands"....

Frankly, I so wish someone would alert the police to these people. They are dangerous and their raving chimeras are getting out of hand. 

Last edited by nakahara (March 9, 2015 11:28 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 9, 2015 11:47 pm  #359

I only scanned half of it, and this women seems to be in need of medical help. I am not joking, she needs to be instituionalized for her own good (and others). She writes, and sounds, like a raving lunatic.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 9, 2015 11:59 pm  #360

I couldn't even get very far in reading this. 

This is some very very scary stuff *shivers*

She needs help. A lot of help... not even kidding 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera