BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2015 10:47 pm  #1

Please note - on the opening of threads

In order to keep the board neat please think twice if it is really necessary to open a new thread. Some topics may be discussed within the frame of existing threads. Thank you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 25, 2015 11:26 pm  #2

Re: Please note - on the opening of threads

Does this mean I shouldn't open that thread devoted to Sherlock's behind that I was planning?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 25, 2015 11:31 pm  #3

Um. If that means me, I'm very sorry, please feel free to merge any threads I've started with more appropriate ones.

(The thing is, I'm more used to forums that tend more to one thread for everything Benedict, one thread for everything Martin, and like that. Here it's one subforum--or even multiple subforums--for each of those things, so I'm never sure when a new thread is appropriate. I've tried to make more general threads--i.e. the Oscar press roundup--but that doesn't always seem to work for anyone else. So I remain unsure.)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 26, 2015 4:31 am  #4

REReader - I am guessing that I must be one ot the guilty ones as well. 

But I sort of have the same problem that you have talked about in your post.  I have tried to find the appropriate threads that match up with my topics that I want to post about, but sometimes I just don't know if they are there.  I have had some folks tell me not to worry and start a new thread, but obviously with this notice it is clear that isn't appropriate, so it makes me feel very unsure about posting.

Of course if I do post again I will try very hard to be more vigilant from now on.

I certainly don't mind if someone in admin merge my inappropriate placed posts or threads with older ones that tidy things up. 

I apologise as well if I have upset things here - never meant to be disruptive, just wanted to participate.

Sorry.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 26, 2015 5:29 am  #5

Please let me use this thread to get two things off my chest.

First, the mods' idea that we should all open less threads when there are similar ones already is no big deal I think. No-one needs to get overly apologetic about it.

Second, it is of course no solution to continue opening new threads and then tell the mods to merge them if neseccary. That would only mean even more work for them, and they are working hard here already. If we all just invest a little time to go through the sections or use the forum search engine, everything will be fine IMO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 26, 2015 7:52 am  #6

Thanks for your answers. There is no need to apologise. Just one thing: 

- There is no way for me to merge threads. I can just delete, close, or move them to another section. Merging would have to be done manually, meaning I would have to ask all posters to copy their posts to an existing thread and then delete the new one. 

So, please, do not take this is as a reproval of any kind but as a friendly hint. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 26, 2015 8:19 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 26, 2015 9:11 am  #7

Ah-chie, REReader, I'm sure in cases of doubt it's ok if you go and ask one of the mods for help 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 26, 2015 9:22 am  #8

Different threads about the same topic can be confusing. Sometimes there are the same discussions from different people in different places. Would be better if all forum members are part of it and if is not divided.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 26, 2015 11:09 am  #9

I don't have a real solution for this, but I feel that lately there have been almost more new threads than right after the airing of S3 - and that really means something.
I'm sure there are different opinions about this: For some people new threads for even the tiniest topic mean that the forum is better organized, for other people too many threads get confusing. I hope nobody will take this personally, but let me give an example: I think by now we have three or even four different threads for this year's Oscars. And I know that others will probably feel different about this, but for me one thread for everything that has to do with the Oscar would have been sufficient. And I don't mind so much if there are links to press releases in a section that is not "Benedict's Press".
When it comes to Benedict, I think a lot of the tiny stuff fits perfectly in the "Let's talk..."-thread. 

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 26, 2015 11:13 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 26, 2015 11:20 am  #10

tonnaree wrote:

Does this mean I shouldn't open that thread devoted to Sherlock's behind that I was planning?

As long as it's in the right place.... The thread I mean, not the........ you know. 

I think if you use the search function before opening a new thread it could help avoiding too many threads of the same topic.
I personally don't care that much where the threads are placed as I mostly use the "active topics" button anyway.
But if there are too many threads with the same topic I'm afraid I could miss a lot. 

Last edited by Mattlocked (February 26, 2015 11:22 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 26, 2015 11:26 am  #11

And I think it also shows little appreciation for the thoughts of people who already opened a thread for a topic.

Last edited by Harriet (February 26, 2015 11:27 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 26, 2015 3:51 pm  #12

OK, so with all these remarks I am guessing that the recent items that I (or REReader, or both of us) have been posting lately are the problem that is enough to prompt this "hint"?

I assure you that I am appreciative of people who already open a thread on a topic (as is REReader I assume). I also appreciate that the people in charge here are very busy.   

And I want you to know that I have used the search function as well a number of times. 

It helped once but most of the time it didn't (I suspect because I didn't have the exact wording I needed to connect it to the previously posted material). 

But I also hope you see that for a newer member of this board it can be very confusing and it isn't always as easy as just using the search function or looking around to see if any similiar posts have been made (something I do every time I post).

Honestly now I feel embarrassed about being a part of a problem on the board because I really have taken steps to try and do things correctly... and apparently it isn't working (this hint is about recent things I take it).  So I really don't know what to do. 

I have tried recently to avoid posting confrontational opinion items and stick to purely informational things that I would like to share with other fans - but then I see this and feel almost afraid to post anything now (for fear of not taking the mods up on the friendly hint and further exacerbating the concern).

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 26, 2015 3:55 pm  #13

I think maybe you are thinking too much about that stuff, Ah-Chie. There is nothing wrong with posting controversial things for example. That's how discussions work. ;-) You just have to live with people disagreeing. But that is also how discussions work. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 26, 2015 4:22 pm  #14

Perhaps I am overthinking it.   I'll give that some thought.

But, just so you know, I can live with people disagreeing with me.  Done it all my life.

But I would rather avoid that sort of thing for now and keep things as positive as possible on this board for my own enjoyment.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 26, 2015 4:27 pm  #15

After this thread, I will probably either do my best to squeeze my thoughts into an already existing thread that I hope will be suitable or just avoid posting it altogether. 

Last edited by Vhanja (February 26, 2015 4:31 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 26, 2015 4:39 pm  #16

I honestly did not expect this to be a problem. It was a friendly request, not more, not less, and addressed to all members. I really do not understand why this post could lead anyone to avoid posting at all. 

February 27, 2015 8:40 pm  #17

Just going to jump in here...

I didn't realise that Mods couldn't merge threads, as I as Admin definitely can. Maybe it's just an Admin thing. 

I've been guilty of double posting a topic myself on a number of occasions and I'm sure everyone has, it's really not that much of a big deal. The way I would suggest operating is this:

1. Use the search function to search for various keywords related to your topic and check whether there is already a topic of the same or similar nature. 
2. If you can't find one, GO AHEAD AND POST WHATEVER YOU WANT. 
3. If it turns out at a later date that there is a similar topic to the one you posted that for some reason didn't show up in search DO NOT WORRY. 
4. Just drop me a line on my PM and I will very happily merge it for you. I've done it for other people in the past. It takes less than a minute to do and it's really not a problem at all. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 27, 2015 8:42 pm  #18

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Just going to jump in here...

I didn't realise that Mods couldn't merge threads, as I as Admin definitely can. Maybe it's just an Admin thing. 

I've been guilty of double posting a topic myself on a number of occasions and I'm sure everyone has, it's really not that much of a big deal. The way I would suggest operating is this:

1. Use the search function to search for various keywords related to your topic and check whether there is already a topic of the same or similar nature. 
2. If you can't find one, GO AHEAD AND POST WHATEVER YOU WANT. 
3. If it turns out at a later date that there is a similar topic to the one you posted that for some reason didn't show up in search DO NOT WORRY. 
4. Just drop me a line on my PM and I will very happily merge it for you. I've done it for other people in the past. It takes less than a minute to do and it's really not a problem at all. 

Thank you!

February 27, 2015 8:48 pm  #19

SolarSystem wrote:

I don't have a real solution for this, but I feel that lately there have been almost more new threads than right after the airing of S3 - and that really means something.

What it means is Penguins of Madagascar, Fargo, The Hobbit, The Hobbit, The Imitation Game, The Eichmann Show, Richard III, Richard III, Hamlet, an engagement, a pregnancy, a wedding, BAFTAs, Oscars, Emmys, SAGs, Golden Globes, the filming of the Sherlock special, and so many others I know I left out--and that's just Benedict and Martin.

The media attention Benedict has received in the past year has grown geometrically, and there's reason enough.

February 27, 2015 8:48 pm  #20

You're so good to us boss. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera