BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2014 7:33 pm  #1

Dexter

Does anyone watch it?
I'm up to Season 5 and loving it. I'm getting through about 6 or 7 episodes per night currently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 13, 2014 8:47 pm  #2

Re: Dexter

Dexter (I mainly count seasons 1-5 because I don't like seasons 6-8 as a whole) is one of the best shows of all time. I love its dark humour, I love the relationship between Dex and Deb, I love supporting characters (especially Rita and Doakes), I love Dexter's struggle to become more human. Before I have become obsessed with Sherlock, I was obsessed with Dexter. At the end I was disappointed by the show but I don't want to discourage you. It's still worth watching.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

June 13, 2014 9:16 pm  #3

OK cool. Well, I'll definitely keep going. I hate leaving series unfinished!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 16, 2014 12:31 pm  #4

My daughter has watched all the series. I think I should do the same, although she also felt the earlier seasons were stronger.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 8, 2015 8:46 am  #5

Well...better late to the party than never. I have now got a Netflix account and I am going to start watching this. Bit excited in anticipation. Then I am going to be analysing it with others on a Facebook group I belong to. 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 9, 2015 11:54 am  #6

This is good! Really good!

February 16, 2015 1:30 pm  #7

Season 8... Final season... I don't want it to end... Have loved how some favourite actors have suddenly appeared in this: Ray Stevenson and Sean Patrick Flanery for two...

February 16, 2015 2:02 pm  #8

I would be very interested in your opinion of how they wrap things up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 20, 2015 9:27 pm  #9

I thought the final episode was absolutely heartbreakingly amazing, with the exception of the ridiculous final part with the lumberjacks (when I told my daughter my thoughts on this part she did say that this was widely criticised). It  was a FUBAR moment by the writers, in my opinion. The whole building of the crushing sense of doom throughout the final season was fantastic in an uncomfortable way. Always the hope of a better life dangled, for it to be snatched away most cruelly.

This is/was such a wonderful show. The finale is just shockingly tragic and has several aspects that seem very Shakespearean/Greek in their dreadfulness. I confess. I cried. A lot! 

February 20, 2015 9:52 pm  #10

I don't like the final part either Davina but my husband argued that worked for him because it was the most tragic end for Dexter he could imagine.  Stuck there in the boring wildreness, alone, no partner, no child.  All that he had worked for gone.  For Dexter this was much more tragic than dying.

Don't know that I totally agree with hubby but I see his point.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 20, 2015 9:52 pm  #11

My favorite season is the one with John Lithgow.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 21, 2015 11:23 am  #12

I loved the first season as so much was introduced, including the wonderful opening credits and the use of music. The John Lithgow season was good but I felt it dragged a bit in places.  Wasn't so keen on the Colin Hanks season.

While I can see that the end is truly tragic for him,  I just can't really see how the ending really works for him, as I cannot imagine him being able to fulfil his other role with his dark passenger (who must surely, under the circumstances have taken residence again). To me it just seemed rather cheesy, tragic though it was. It brings a resolution, I guess but personally, I would have been content (not sure that's the right word) with the ending just with Hannah and Harrison and never knowing for sure whether Dexter was really dead.

On the other hand- pun fully intended- I was explaining to my daughter how the choice of the name Dexter is itself a very clever one. He was, after all, very far from sinister!

I am so pleased I watched this show. It is very fulfilling on many levels and also asks some meaningful questions.

I do hear that there is the vague possibility of a sequel. That may work but only if Dexter (and Michael in the role) makes a return and the writing is a solidly good as previously.

February 21, 2015 12:14 pm  #13

I think I liked the Colin Hanks season more than most.  Figured out early that Edward James Olmos wasn't really there.  

Of course the first season was outstanding.  Michale C. Hall is brilliant.  Was already a fan of his from Six Feet Under.  Another show you should make the time for if you've never watched it.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 11, 2017 6:01 pm  #14

Oh, this is an old thread but I just finished watching series 8. Wow. Loved the show but the end was really tough. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 12, 2017 6:53 pm  #15

SusiGo wrote:

Oh, this is an old thread but I just finished watching series 8. Wow. Loved the show but the end was really tough. 

Have you been watching it on Netflix? 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 12, 2017 7:53 pm  #16

Yes. A lovely person made it possible. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 13, 2017 2:17 pm  #17

I kept noticing it pop up in the "Watch it again" list.  LOL   Love that show.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 13, 2017 8:46 pm  #18

Yes, it is incredibly well written and well played. And is there a lovelier man than Angel Batista? 

October 16, 2017 6:42 pm  #19

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, it is incredibly well written and well played. And is there a lovelier man than Angel Batista? 

Angel was indeed a heavenly man.  

Were you beside yourself watching the season with John Lithgow???

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 16, 2017 8:13 pm  #20

OMG, yes, this was awesome! Biting my nails. I watched the whole show with my son and we loved those WTF moments. And there were many of those. I also love the writing, so many clever twists and turns. Definitely my favourite serial killer. 

Board footera