BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2015 6:22 pm  #1

Nightline interview

It's a bit short, but nice: here.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 13, 2015 7:55 pm  #2

Re: Nightline interview

Thanks for posting the interview here in a separate thread REReader. 

I have already postied my general feelings about the interview in another thread -

Overall I was really disappointed in the "interview" (not with Ben at all though).  I thought the person doing the interview was very trite and the whole line of questioning felt shallow.  I know every interview can't be Charlie Rose or Tavis Smiley, but I think ABC could have done a better job than what I saw.  They have one of the most interesting men around to talk to and yet they have to waste time on the Cumberbitches thing???  He seemed embarrassed to answer that question.  But he is too gracious and polite to make a fuss and it was at least publicity for the film and thus for getting the Turing story out, so some good will come of it.

And it was lovely seeing him talk, even if it was just for a couple of minutes. 

And one other comment - I haven't watched Nightline since its hayday in the 1980s and '90s and I was shocked at how the quality of this programme has dropped.  It is nothing like it was - it was a real investigative news programme back then.  The first two segments last night should have been embarrassing to produce, let alone allow to get to air.  Ben's segment (although lacking in substance and originality) was at least pleasant and positive to watch.

Upon reflection, I think it was more my expectations than anything else that disappointed me.  It has been so long since I watched Nightline and when I last did it was a real news show.  I guess I was expecting this interview to be something else. 

I didn't like the whole intro bit on the Cumberbitches (what a waste of time and in such a short interview it could have been used much more productively I think).  Perhaps I am just over thinking this and just concentrate on how lovely it was to see him again, even in a very short interview.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 13, 2015 10:04 pm  #3

Heh, Val--I don't watch Nightline often, but I guess I've seen it more recently than you! I wasn't expecting in-depth, so it seemed fine to me for a short little segment.

February 13, 2015 10:38 pm  #4

You're right REReader - I probably was too harsh with my initial reaction. 

It was a nice little interview.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 14, 2015 8:16 am  #5

Well, cannot deny that "cumberbitches" issue is not only trite beyond boring, but also SOOO five years ago, lol.
Beginning the interview with something that is mentioned in virtually every talk, interview or text about BC is a desperately lazy journalism.

February 15, 2015 12:04 am  #6

He seems grateful to have had that explanatory letter from the fans he mentioned in an earlier interview, since it gives him an answer that lets him say something nice about his fans while also giving him a way to explain away the term, though.

Last edited by REReader (February 15, 2015 12:05 am)

Board footera